Far Horizons (The Emigrants Trilogy) by Kate…

Far Horizons (The Emigrants Trilogy)

by Kate Hewitt

Book #1, in the Emigrants Trilogy

This is a great historical romance novel that will resonate with anyone who is in a long distance romance situation. The premise is based on true events and enhanced with wonderful and colourful tales inspired by Ms. Hewitt creativity. “Far Horizons” is the story of two people who love each other but are separated by both distance and duty.

The story opens in the Highlands of Scotland, the year is 1819. Allan MacDougal and Harriet Campbell are in love but unfortunately Allan and his family were leaving Scotland for Canada and Harriet was to stay behind till the MacDougal were settled down…..

Slow for a kick start but once Allan left for Canada the pacing was more aggressive and the story more interesting. Following the characters is a bit of a challenge but once you settle into the tempo and place each one as they appear telling their version of events then everything falls into place and we can easily trust forward although this may be very confusing and distracting for some. The emotional story reflects the “Harlequin” style the author’s is so well known for with much emphasis on the courtships and feelings of the characters. Although this is book 1 in a trilogy everything wraps up beautifully and leaves no loose ends. Book 2 is set 10 years later, is a great choice for anyone to pick it up or not.

“Far Horizons” gives us simple style, clear narrative, clean dialogue, interesting characters and a good story for everyone to enjoy. ( )
  Tigerpaw70 | Sep 12, 2016 |
it was so refreshing to read this book, because it's different from what I've been reading lately.

The book is well written, and what I really loved, is that it's somewhat based on Kate's own ancestors' stories. I didn't know that until I read the last few pages, but even without knowing, I truly enjoyed this book. It seemed to very historically accurate. You can imagine that the events of the book actually happened.

katsmiao | Oct 23, 2015 |
This is an easy quick read. It is predictable pioneer fiction with a happy ending. The novel is based on the real life events and letters of the writer’s relatives. It reminded me of the Little house on the Prairie books by Laura Ingalls for some reason. I think the style is somewhat similar. I would call this light reading. The parts about immigration and starting a new homestead in a new place are interesting, but the romance part is sort of bland. It is not a strong romance story. There are no racy parts, it is a little bland. It does have many twists and turns of fate and in the end the main characters come out on top. There is to be a second novel called Another Country. It would be good for young readers and people interested in immigration. I would have liked a more exciting cover for this. A ship with the captain and maybe Allan and Harriet’s photos or pictures. It is well worth the 99 cents!! I give this book a 4 out of 5 stars ( )
  Pattymclpn | Sep 24, 2014 |

"On the eve of his departure for the New World, Allan MacDougall asks his beloved Harriet to wait for his return, when he will be established and able to marry her. His parents discover his intent and find it dishonourable, so Allan is obliged to free Harriet from her promise, although he vows to remain faithful. On Prince Edward Island, Allan struggles against his father's tyranny to establish himself and a home for Harriet. Meanwhile, back on the Isle of Mull, Harriet must face both danger and temptation as her own family's farm is threatened. It will be many years before Harriet and Allan meet again. Will their love survive?" -- BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,008,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible