How to Capture a Countess by Karen Hawkins

How to Capture a Countess

by Karen Hawkins

You can feel the chemistry between these two! This book was amusing, fun, and sexy. I was startled to find myself laughing out loud quite a few times. Not only was I entertained through the entire book with the battle of wills I was also emotionally invested in the characters! When each emotion emerged with Rose, including humiliation, I felt them as if they were truly my own (yes, even crying a time or two). Karen Hawkins is a master of emotion. A bit of a warning: Rose seems star struck toward Sin through the prologue, so much that had the chemistry between the two not been as good I would’ve not read as intently and missed key details! Overall great read! Also, there is a fabulous supporting character, the Aunt, which added additional spice and humor to the story line (and ultimately the series). ( )
  michellejester | Jun 17, 2017 |
not to bad. sin is kind of a jerk, but not as bad as some. he sets out to seduce her because as a fresh out debutante she accidentally pushes him into a fountain. which makes him a laughingstock, but ruins her. which he neither notices nor cares. of course. he sets off on a swath of rakish behavior, until his grandmother decides she's had enough and conspires to get the two together to end his behavior. he decides to seduce rose as payment for humiliating him, while she, still a virgin albeit a ruined one, tries to resist. ( )
  librarydanielle | Apr 1, 2013 |
When Rose was seventeen, she was very innocent and impulsive, and kissed Lord Sinclair, but overwhelmed by the sensations, ended up pushing him into a fountain and fleeing the scene and hiding from everyone inculding him, and leaving him to face the consequences, and Lord Sinclair has been wanting revengefor six years, and has found her again and is determined to get back at her, only he never thought he would fall in love with her. Rose, regretting her foolish act six years ago, has lived in the countryside taking care of her father and sisters, but when she is invited to a house party by her godmother (also Lord Sinclair's Aunt), she knows she has no choice but to except, especially for her sister's sake. However when she bumps into Lord Sinclair, she is shocked to see him again, but she starts to feel alive whenever he is near, and even though they are in one wager after another, she starts to fall in love with him again, but doesn't know if she can truly trust in their love and in Lord Sinclair......
How To Capture A Countess is the first of a new series "The Duchess Diaries" by Karen Hawkins. Karen Hawkins has been one of my favorite authors, and I just loved the energy of this new book, it definitely had Hawkins spark and flair, and the story had the same feeling of fun and humor that I have always seen in the past. Lord Sinclair, just cracked me up especially in the beginning, especially his attitude toward life, and women, and I loved the playful interaction between Lord Sin and Rose. I also loved the spirit of Rose Balfour, at first she seems timid and reserved, but as the book progresses she comes out of her shell into a playful and full of life heroine, that you just want to cheer her on......a beautifully written romance filled with passion, zest and humor that will definitely enthrall you for more!!! A Must Read!!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 3, 2013 |
HOW TO CAPTURE A COUNTESS by Karen Hawkins is an exciting historical romance set in Floors Castle,Scotland. Fresh new series with a fresh new plot. Visit Floors Castle,Scotland and its cast of characters with their wicked ways,Scottish countryside,notorious rakehell,witty banter,nefarious plans,revenge,and a battle of the sexes. Meet, Lord Alton Sinclair,"Lord Sin" and Rose Balfour and follow them on a journey of love,passion,desire, and a battle of the sexes. Who will surrender in this intriguing,delightfully entertaining historical romance. Personal buy.

RATING: 4.5

HEAT RATING: MILD

REVIEWED BY: AprilR, My Book Addiction and More/My Book Addiction Reviews ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Nov 26, 2012 |
metimes you just want a book where the ending is never in doubt. You need sweet, frothy, banter-filled plot and dialogue headed exactly where you expect. When I find myself looking for something like this, one of the places I turn is to Regency-set historical romances, the ones without a kidnapping or spies and lurking danger. And Karen Hawkins has provided just such a novel in this latest of the The Duchess Diaries series, How to Capture a Countess.

When Rose Balfour was just sixteen, she managed to get Lord Alton Sinclair alone in a garden. He kissed her, she panicked, and pushed him into a fountain before fleeing. This incident, one that Lord Sin is certain was calculated and intentional, leaves Lord Sin a laughingstock and he vows revenge. But he loses track of the enticing Rose who has been whisked away to forestall the rumors. Six years later, though, still smarting from the mockery and as determined as ever to make Rose pay, he finds her again and discovers to his delight that his aunt is her godmother. When the Duchess of Roxburghe decides to throw a house party, she has ulterior motives that are more than suited by her rapscallion nephew's request that she invite her goddaughter to the party.

Alternately narrated through pages from the Duchess of Roxburghe's diary and an omniscient third person narrator, the motivations and machinations behind so many of the characters' actions are neatly revealed to the reader while remaining cyphers to the other characters. Rose never intended to humiliate Sin. She was simply young and ultimately scared herself with the intensity of her feelings when he kissed her. Sin mistook Rose not for an innocent young girl but an experienced tease and reacted accordingly. Now at Her Grace's house party, they have the opportunity to redress the past even as their awareness of each other grows and blossoms into something far beyond what a mere kiss might spawn.

The tension and banter between Rose and Sin is balanced and pleasing, especially in light of the Duchess' sly behind the scenes manuevering to protect both of them and yet to enable them to recognize their true feelings as they come together to scotch another scandal. Their constant contests and one-upsmanship has an ultimate prize and it's appealing to watch as they come to realize the end prize is the same regardless of who wins each encounter. The cock-ups and misadventures that take place in the course of the house party are good entertainment and go a long way towards establishing Rose and Sin's characters. It is a little incongruous that a man so esteemed by society, wealthy and good looking would in fact harbor such a long-standing grudge over an incident that happened so long ago especially since any resulting gossip would hurt Rose far more than it would hurt Sin given the mores of the time. But the book was fun and delivered exactly what it promised, some steamy sexual tension without recourse to forced danger or improbable plotting, well developed characters whose actions fit their time period, and a charming happily ever after. ( )
  whitreidtan | Nov 10, 2012 |

"Urged by her favorite nephew, the intimidating Duchess of Roxburghe agrees to transform a thorny Scottish rose into a lovely bloom. But even she isn't prepared for fiery Rose Balfour"--P. [4] of cover.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,076,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible