Lord of Temptation by Lorraine Heath

Lord of Temptation

by Lorraine Heath

Fast. Steamy without being raunchy. I finally figured out why I like Heath's writing. Her books are fun. They are light-hearted, with interesting characters. There's a bit too much of the convenience fairy. There are anachronisms. Still, her novels are enjoyable. ( )
  lesmel | Oct 11, 2013 |
"There is no way this couple can have a future together." That's what you'll be saying to yourself right up until the last few pages of this story, and by my standards that makes for a pretty darn good book. It's Romancelandia, so we know that an HEA is guaranteed, but how . . . ?

Lorraine Heath is one of my go-to HR authors, and although I did not love the first books in this trilogy, [b:She Tempts the Duke|11785513|She Tempts the Duke (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #1)|Lorraine Heath|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1317132231s/11785513.jpg|16737556], I was excited to receive an ARC of this book from Edelweiss.

First, a quick update on the story of the three Pembroke lords. Their father was the late Duke of Keswick, and their uncle was the devil himself. After arranging for the duke's apparently accidental death, the uncle imprisoned the young brothers in Yorkshire and made plans for their demise. This cra-cra uncle really want to be a duke! In the first volume, the brothers flee from their home, split up, and return as agreed twelve years later to claim their birthright. Eldest brother, Sebastian, becomes the duke; the uncle gets his just deserts; and we get intriguing glimpses of the two younger brothers, Tristan and Rafe.

Tristan went to sea at the age of 14, shortly after escaping from their mad uncle. He grew to love life on board a ship, and after helping his brothers expose their uncle's crimes, all Tristan wants is to continue his life as Crimson Jack, captain of his own ship. One day, a beautiful young woman wants to hire him to take her to the Crimea, so she can bid a personal farewell to her soldier fiance, who has yet to return from the Crimean War. (This is a weak link in the story. It's a long, costly trip, and it seems like a Dear John letter would suffice. I won't spoil things for you, though.)

Tristan becomes smitten with Lady Anne, however, during the course of the voyage, and just before returning to England they engage in a night of passionate lovemaking. No one in Society knows of Lady Anne's scandalous behavior, so she returns to her father's house and resumes her traditional duties. At a ball, however, Tristan shows up, and only then does she learn his true identity.

Lady Anne wants to lead a conventional life -- titled husband, a country estate, and children -- so she agrees to marry a marquis. Tristan wants nothing more than to sail the seas. Will love be enough to bring these two together?

Heath almost spoiled the book for me by dreaming up a truly over-the-top wedding scene. It's flat-out ludicrous, even by Romancelandia standards. Things were somewhat redeemed, however, by the truly lovely epilogue showing how these lovers devised a life together.

The last book in the trilogy is the story of Rafe, who was only eight years old when his brothers were forced to leave him in a workhouse. Rafe now owns a gambling hell in London, and he's still angry with his brothers. I'll definitely be reading this one.

Many thanks to Edelweiss and Avon for the opportunity to read an ARC of this book. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
I'm really enjoying this series of the lost Lords. The story is about 3 brothers who are forced to flee for their lives from their greedy uncle who is seeking to murder them in order to attain the dukedom. We catch up with them 14 years later and see how their lives have changed. This is book 2 of the 3 part series. I can't wait for number 3 :) ( )
  coffeenut1992 | May 16, 2013 |
Lorraine Heath one of my favorite authors. One of my favorite book of her is Waking up with the Duke. That being said, I was really disappointed by her last book. However, I believe she has turned a new left with Lord of Temptation.

The characters Tristan and Anne were characters I could fall in love with. Anne is a young lady who want Tristan aka Crimson Jack to take her to Scutari to meet with her fiancee. However, the price for taking her is a kiss. Only one kiss however, Tristan has to choose the time and place where this kiss will take place. This voyage to Scutari really tests our hero. He find out that Anne's fiancee is dead and that she came to Scutari to say goodbye. So begins their affair, a short lived affair that keep Tristan and Anne wanting more.

Ms. Heath know how to tell a story. If you love romance,you must read this book. You will enjoy it. I want to thank edelweiss for the chance to read this book in advance. ( )
  ninoskasua | Mar 14, 2013 |
Lorraine Heath has written a series that will quickly pull you in and not let go. I found the second book in the series, THE LOST LORDS OF PEMBROOK, to be deeply engaging and well written. LORD OF TEMPTATION was funny at times, sigh worthy at times, sexy, and a little sad. The characters are well written and will grab your heart. I can't wait for Rafe's book to come out. Tristan was a great hero, I'll admit that I will probably always love his brother Sebastian a bit more, but still Tristan was a great hero. This is a great series of romance any historical romance fan will love to devour. I was sad to turn the last page and know that NOW I must wait for Rafe's book to come out. Thank you Lorraine for once again giving me hours of true enjoyment. This is a book I highly Recommend.

Reviewed by WendyK for www.mybookaddictionandmore.com

RATING: 5

HEAT RATING: MILD ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Nov 21, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062100025, Mass Market Paperback)

Three young heirs, imprisoned by an unscrupulous uncle, escaped—to the sea, to the streets, to faraway battle—awaiting the day when they would return to reclaim their birthright.

Once upon a time, he was Lord Tristan Easton—now he is Crimson Jack, a notorious privateer beholden to none, whose only mistress is the sea. But all that will change when exquisite Lady Anne Hayworth hires his protection on a trip into danger and seduction. . .

Desperation brought Anne to the bronzed, blue-eyed buccaneer. But after the Captain demands a kiss as his payment, desire will keep her at his side. She has never known temptation like this—but to protect her heart, she knows she must leave him behind. Yet Tristan cannot easily forget the beauty—and when they meet again in a London ballroom, he vows he won't lose her a second time, as fiery passion reignited takes them into uncharted waters that could lead the second lost lord home. . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:00 -0400)

Three young heirs, imprisoned by an unscrupulous uncle, have escaped to the sea, to the streets, to faraway battle awaiting the day when they will return to reclaim their birthright.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,900,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible