Homefront Hero by Allie Pleiter

Homefront Hero

by Allie Pleiter

I really enjoyed this book. It made me smile, it made me cry, it made me want to try knitting socks! (Or maybe crocheting them instead. My last knitting effort was pretty disastrous.) It's always fun to see a story incorporate a craft into it, and of course I love a well-written historical. This one had both. The characters were interesting, their journeys were believable, and it had a really nice message about what it means to be a hero. The epilogue, an article in the magazine that helped to bring Leanne and John together was a really cute touch. The last of the "Questions for Discussion" really struck a chord as well, encouraging readers to use their love of crafts to support those in the armed forces; great idea! The Internet is indeed full of worthy causes that crafters of every persuasion can get behind. Two enthusiastic thumbs up for Ms. Pleiter's latest! ( )
  beckymmoe | Apr 3, 2013 |
Homefront Hero by Allie Pleiter
4 STARS I started the book and before long I did not like hero at all. Then things began to change as I got to know him longer the more I grew to like Captain John Gallows. In the end I was sorry to see them go. Homefront Hero takes place in 1918 during World War 1 at Camp Jackson Army Base Columbia, South Carolina. Leanne Sample has just graduated from nursing school at University of South Carolina and is now working at base army hospital. Leanne is also signed up to teach knitting classes. The army needs socks badly and they are trying to get more people involved into making them. Captain John Gallows is a hero but he doesn't think he is a hero. He risked his life and saved others but if he did not do anythink they would all crash and he would be dead too. So he risked his life to save his life. The army is using him to help with the support the war at home. He really wants to get healed enough that he can be sent over seas again. The Doctors don't think he can be made well enough. John is a good looking and smooth talker and does really well to get people to support the war effort. He tells the General he will do anything to be considered again for a chance at active duty. The General takes him up on anything. He wants Captain John Gallows to be in the Red Cross sock knitting campaign. Have his picture taken of him getting lessons on how to knit so other young men and women will learn to do it too. Leanne is the one to teach him how to knit. John wants Leanne to teach him some knitting before he gets photographed learning how to knit socks. Leanne is wondering if that will be cheating, but decides to go ahead and teach him first. John has a hard time learning how to knit. John tries and get Leanne to do some of the knitting for him. John is very spoiled but then he is going through a lot of pain and still wants to get better. John also gets Leanne assigned to help with his physical problems. While he is getting his leg iced down and staying still she can help him with his knitting. John also makes a side deal with her. He wants her to dance the waltze with him at one of the Generals ball so that he will look more healed than he really is. Leanne agrees if he gets his sock so far along by the dance. Leanne was praying for ideas to help John with his exercises to help him and got the answer to waltze with him. His doctor thought that was a good idea for him. It is one of the harder things for him to walk side ways. It does get him motavated. Leanne wants to share her testimony with him. At the same time as World War 1 thier also comes wide spread Spanish Influenza that kills millions around the world. John and Leanne have to cope with that too. I will read more by Allie Pleiter in the future. I love Harlequin Love Inspired novels. I was given this ebook to read in exchange of honest review from Netgalley. 05/01/2012 PUB Harlequin Love Inspired Historical 288 pages ( )
  rhonda1111 | Jul 19, 2012 |
          Have I not commanded you?
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid;
do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God
will be with you whereve you go."
               ---Joshua 1:9
                       To Suzanne,
a brave hero and a warrior in her own right

Acknowledgments

A wise writer brings lots of good counsel with her into a historical manuscript. In addition to John M. Barry's invaluable book The Great Influenza. I owe thanks to many other good people who served as sources: Paula Benson, Dr. John Boyd of the 81st Regional Support Command, Susan Craft, Kristina Dunn Johnson at The South Carolina Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum, Mary Jo Fairchild at the South Carolina Historical Society, Mary J. Manning (and the entire oustanding museum) at the Cantigny First Division Foundation, Nichole Rile at Moncrief Army Community Hospital, Stephanie Sapp at Jackson Army Base U.S. Army Basic Combat Training Museum, Christina Shedlock at the Charleston County Public Library and Elizabeth Cassidy West and the other dedicated librarians at the South Caroliniana Library at the University of South Carolina at Columbia. Any factual errors should be laid at my feet, not at the excellent information these people provided me.
Camp Jackson Army Base
Columbia, South Carolina
September 1918

"I still can't believe it." Leanne Sample gazed around
at the busy activity of Camp Jackson. Even with all
she'd heard and seen while studying nursing at nearby
University of South Carolina, the encampment stunned her.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373829167, Mass Market Paperback)

Dashing and valiantly wounded, Captain John Gallows could have stepped straight out of an army recruitment poster. Leanne Sample can't help being impressed—although the lovely Red Cross nurse tries to hide it. She knows better than to get attached to the daring captain who is only home to heal and help rally support for the war's final push. As soon as he's well enough, he'll rush back to Europe, back to war—and far away from South Carolina and Leanne. But when an epidemic strikes close to home, John comes to realize what it truly means to be a hero—Leanne's hero.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:04 -0400)

"Dashing and valiantly wounded, Captain John Gallows could have stepped straight out of an army recruitment poster. Leanne Sample can't help being impressed - although the lovely Red Cross nurse tries to hide it. She knows better than to get attached to the daring captain who is only home to heal and help rally support for the war's final push. As soon as he's well enough, he'll rush back to Europe, back to war - and far away from South Carolina and Leanne. But when an epidemic strikes close to home, John comes to realize what it truly means to be a hero - Leanne's hero" -- Cover verso.… (more)

Allie Pleiter is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,417,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible