I, Galileo by Bonnie Christensen

I, Galileo

by Bonnie Christensen

A biography of Galileo including his life and his many inventions and scientific discoveries
  step36 | Jun 8, 2017 |
An excellent biographical picture book. Children will be able to follow some of the more complex topics because of the lovely diagrams that are included.
  EmLu | Aug 10, 2016 |
Nice history of Galileo's life told from the first person point-of-view. A Chronology at the end provides useful information about the historical period. There is also additional information about Galileo's experiments, inventions, and discoveries.
  tracybeggs | Aug 8, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading this book for many reasons. First, I liked how the book was set up. For example, it was set up as a first person narrative that is narrated by Galileo as he reflects back on his life. I liked this because it draws the reader right into the story and lets you imagine what it must have been like for him. Second, the illustrations in the book are captivating and perfect for the book. For example, the first two pages of the book are covered with dark blues that made Galileo's red robe and the yellow moon stand out. I think the overall message of the book is to inform readers about Galileo's life and to never give up on learning. ( )
  Kelsey_Barrell | Apr 19, 2015 |
This book is told in the point of view of Galileo Galilei as he goes through his life and his inventions. It mentioned his success in studying the stars and the sky and relates it back to our world today in the preface as we imagine a world without the discoveries that Galileo contributed.
I liked reading this story, because it explains in a simplistic view all of Galileo’s accomplishments in the realm of astronomy. The story is easy to follow and it is written in a way that is easy for students to understand. The pictures are also very well done and colorful.
Extension Ideas:
1) I can conduct one of Galileo’s experiments, with the incline planes in the classroom settings.
2) Students can complete worksheets on Galileo’s life and inventions.
  GSoto95 | Apr 15, 2015 |

Acclaimed author-illustrator Bonnie Christensen adopts the voice of Galileo and lets him tell his own tale in this outstanding picture book biography. The first person narration gives this book a friendly, personal feel that makes Galileo's remarkable achievements and ideas completely accessible to young readers. And Christensen's artwork glows with the light of the stars he studied.

Galileo's contributions were so numerous—the telescope! the microscope!—and his ideas so world-changing—the sun-centric solar system!—that Albert Einstein called him "the father of modern science." But in his own time he was branded a heretic and imprisoned in his home. He was a man who insisted on his right to pursue the truth, no matter what the cost—making his life as interesting and instructive as his ideas.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:29 -0400)

Examines the life of the Italian scientist from a first-person perspective that surveys his achievements while covering his world-changing ideas about a heliocentric solar system and his imprisonment for heresy.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,937,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible