Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park

by Rainbow Rowell

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these emotionally intense realistic fiction novels are set in the recent past, and feature misfit protagonists working through the agonies and ecstasies of first love, friendship, and surviving high school.
    I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan (bluenotebookonline)

English (336)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (339)
As teen romances go, this is one of the best. Since it is a teen romance, you know there were things about it that annoyed me, but they weren't overwhelming—I just nearly lost my eyeballs in the back of my skull every time Eleanor said Park was the sun, or that every place he'd touched her felt safe and untouchable in her very unsafe life. But their style of relationship is so unique and sweet, and I love Rainbow Rowell's writing. This will definitely be one of my recommendations when someone (of any age) is looking for a good non-Romance-Novel romance.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
First romance story. Quite sweet. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
I loved this book - it was so sweet, so cute - I didn't want it to end.

It is a YA romance which normally would definitely not be my thing, as I find romances a bit too soppy, cringeworthy and boring BUT Eleanor and Park was definitely not any of those things!

Eleanor is the new girl, an outsider from a poor family where her mum gets beat on by her 'stepdad', a place where Eleanor and all of her siblings all sleep together in one room where there aren't enough beds to go around. She's a bit chubby, is covered in freckles and has curly red hair. My heart went out to her, there were elements of her home life that spoke to me. I emphasised with her completely.

Park is this quiet cool half-korean kid who has a beautiful heart and thinks that girls don't really like asian guys. My heart went out to him too as he never quite felt good enough, tall enough, manly enough...

Put these 2 quirky kids together on a bus one day and BAM, one amazing, heart-warming love story unfolds. This is a book I would read again it was so adorable.

I'm off now to check out Rainbow Rowell's other novels... she blew me away! ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
Narrated by Rebecca Lowman and Sunil Malhotra. Rainbow Rowell knows how to appeal to the romantic hearts of lonely girls. She has a talent for detailing those intimate and searing emotions of young love and one's own self-consciousness. This tragic and hopeful love story has everything for romance readers: a sensitive boy; a relatable girl; small, personal moments; and tears. Lowman and Malhotra handle this with sensitive and gentle interpretation. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry -
and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.
He loved how much they loved each other. It was the thing he thought about when he woke up scared in the middle of the night. Not that they loved him -- they were his parents, they had to love him. That they loved each other. They didn't have to do that.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

1228 wanted5 pay9 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,110,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible