Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park

by Rainbow Rowell

Recently added bythetrevr, minkusrx, auroralgr1989, private library, AlexRoma, SaschaD, Syd714, Kay_Downing, ShelbyFink
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these emotionally intense realistic fiction novels are set in the recent past, and feature misfit protagonists working through the agonies and ecstasies of first love, friendship, and surviving high school.
    I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan (bluenotebookonline)

English (355)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (358)
Eleanor and Park don't fit in anywhere. They are throw together and slowly build a relationship that neither of them expects. Eleanor is complicated and frustrating at times to Park, but he loves her even more as he gets to know her, and as she slowly lets him in to her unfortunate life circumstances. The alternating narration of Eleanor and Park works well on this story. Suited for high school. ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
This book tells a very cute story about two teenagers who meet in high school despite things that might pull them apart. Both Eleanor and Park lead very different lives, but have many things in common. They belong to two different social groups and backgrounds, and would never had met or interacted had it not been for one fateful bus ride. With the help of some comics and batteries, they grow closer. ( )
  AKlezek | Apr 21, 2016 |
Very readable and well paced. I enjoyed most of the story only got slightly impatient with the teen angst a couple of times. But can definitely appreciate what YA audiences get out of it. Adults would sympathise with that well dis robed first love rush. I would love to revisit Eleanor and Park 20 years on. Would they have gotten together after school finished? Would they be married and resenting their early love and lack of freedom? Would they have naturally have grown apart at uni and met other people? Maybe a short story. ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
Warning: you are going to want to read this from cover to cover. What a profound young love story, which raises so many great questions. Why do we read Romeo and Juliet? Is young love, against all the odds, always doomed? Who / what are the Montagues and Capalets of today (or even if the 80s in this book)? Why do opposites attract? Do you have to conform to society's rules? What would you do for love? What would you do for survival?

Eleanor is chubby and has red hair. Lots of red hair. Enough so that she is quickly dubbed Big Red at her new highschool. Eleanor's dad is selfish and absentee. Her mom's husband is scary and abusive, and so mom can't / doesn't help Eleanor, even with such simple needs as clothing or toothbrushes. Eleanor isn't "nice" -life hasn't given her that chance- but there is something about her - like the way she was able to read that poem in English her first day. She is smart and unique, and beautiful just as she is.

Park couldn't be more opposite. His parents are actually still in love, and though they have their moments, they love him and are supportive and somehow pretty wise. Park is cool and even exotic looking, taking after his Korean mother. Park is into music and constantly makes tapes of his favorite songs to listen to, while reading his comic magazines.

Park has a whole seat on the bus and, not without regret, is the only one who allows Eleanor to sit. Soon he realizes that she is reading his comics with him.

Now, see, you do want to know what happens next. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
As soon as I finished this book, I immediately wanted to read it again. I had become so involved with these characters and their situation - and while I have to say that my teenage years were nothing like Eleanor's, there was a big part of me that could feel her pain and knew what she was going through. One of my new favorite books EVER! ( )
  HeatherCHoffman | Apr 3, 2016 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry -
and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.
He loved how much they loved each other. It was the thing he thought about when he woke up scared in the middle of the night. Not that they loved him -- they were his parents, they had to love him. That they loved each other. They didn't have to do that.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

1228 wanted6 pay10 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,261,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible