Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park

by Rainbow Rowell

English (241)  Spanish (2)  All languages (243)
Description: Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits—smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love—and just how hard it pulled you under.

Thoughts: I loved this book. It drug me under it's spell and didn't let go. Until it did. I'm still pissed about that part, but I'm working on it.

Minus the seriously messed up bits (and maybe some of the wardrobe choices), Eleanor could have totally been me when I was in high school. Overweight but actually much less fat than we told ourselves. Weird and individual and angrily proud of it to cover our other insecurities. Smart but not exactly a model student, usually because of boredom.

But I never had my own Park. I had crushes and hookups but no one I let in enough or invested enough of myself in to have that quintessential "young love." I'm very sad about that. Not because I think it would have been what Eleanor and Park had here, or that it would have been some definitive moment in my life, but that glassy, fumbling, desperate kind of love you can have at 16 is something most people will never experience at a later point in life. It is caught up in curfews and stolen moments and discovery and freshness.

As Park says, it's exactly why people are still drawn to Romeo & Juliet, to young love that is supremely stupid but somehow beautiful even in it's almost inevitable destruction. For the hours I was reading this book, I had a visceral need to be 16 again, fumbling around in the back seat of a crappy car with a boy and feeling like it was the most important moment of my whole life.

God, it was a beautiful feeling. The reading of the book. Get your heads out of the gutter, pervs!

But I might not ever forgive Rainbow Rowell for that open ending. It was beautiful but so completely infuriating. I hate authors and all the power they hold.

Rating: 4.5

Liked: 4.5
Plot: 4
Characterization: 5
Writing: 4.5

https://www.librarything.com/topic/163445#4591360 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 20, 2015 |
This book was so amazing. I have been wanting it for ages and then finally I asked for it. Eleanor and Park are so different. Eleanor a witty, funny, girl who isn't afraid to stand out. She comes from a bad background and is living at an unstable home. Park is an interesting boy. He has a great family and home. When their world come together only good or bad things can come. ( )
  r33c3 | Jan 16, 2015 |
yep. I'm going to be that one person who's just like "nope. I don't see it." honestly, the romance was completely unbelievable. maybe it's just because I'm home-schooled and I'm weird, but I honestly don't think that anyone could possible fall in "love" that fast. I mean, come on! one moment he's not talking to her, the next they're agreeing on everything important and touching hands like cray-cray. puh-lease. ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
Sweet story of two misfit teenagers, their friendship and romance. ( )
  marcal | Jan 13, 2015 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry - and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

28 wanted3 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,122,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible