Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park

by Rainbow Rowell

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these emotionally intense realistic fiction novels are set in the recent past, and feature misfit protagonists working through the agonies and ecstasies of first love, friendship, and surviving high school.
    I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan (bluenotebookonline)

English (305)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (308)
Hmm. I guess I liked it, but I definitely preferred [b:Fangirl|16068905|Fangirl|Rainbow Rowell|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1355886270s/16068905.jpg|21861351].

Eleanor & Park has a somewhat wistful tone. The main characters are both really interesting--and Rowell is trying to tackle quite a lot in a relatively small book (abuse, domestic violence, race, bullying, etc.). I think that, for the most part, she succeeds in handling them sensitively--though as a Korean myself, there were some things that felt like a bit too much for me.

Ultimately, I think I've realized that while I love romance when it's not the main focus, it's rare for me to find a romance-centric story that I really love completely. Perhaps even more so in YA, though I am much more likely to give YA romance a chance than adult. The reason being one of the main things I had a hard time enjoying here: Eleanor and Park are both really, really insecure. Their first time each telling the other what he/she meant made me cringe. "I don't like you, I need you." "I don't like you, I live for you." Agh, sounds like a really unhealthy relationship.

They do help each other and grow, in limited ways, but I feel like for the most part, they're using each other to fill in their insecurities. To me, that's not romantic.

If I step off the cool analysis, though, and the fact that the romance was a bit more than I am comfortable with, I did find their relationship, and the gradual way Eleanor entered Park's world, sweet. I also really liked the supporting cast--specifically Park's family.

So I definitely didn't hate it, and I appreciate that it tried to tackle so much, but for me it was just so-so. ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
I loved this book - it was so sweet, so cute - I didn't want it to end.

It is a YA romance which normally would definitely not be my thing, as I find romances a bit too soppy, cringeworthy and boring BUT Eleanor and Park was definitely not any of those things!

Eleanor is the new girl, an outsider from a poor family where her mum gets beat on by her 'stepdad', a place where Eleanor and all of her siblings all sleep together in one room where there aren't enough beds to go around. She's a bit chubby, is covered in freckles and has curly red hair. My heart went out to her, there were elements of her home life that spoke to me. I emphasised with her completely.

Park is this quiet cool half-korean kid who has a beautiful heart and thinks that girls don't really like asian guys. My heart went out to him too as he never quite felt good enough, tall enough, manly enough...

Put these 2 quirky kids together on a bus one day and BAM, one amazing, heart-warming love story unfolds. This is a book I would read again it was so adorable.

I'm off now to check out Rainbow Rowell's other novels... she blew me away! ( )
  KittyBimble | Nov 26, 2015 |
Eleanor is a big girl with flaming red hair – people notice her, especially on her first day in a new school. As she gets on the school bus, people stare and refuse to let her sit somewhere. All but Park who is usually busy with trying not to stick out, skirting along the edges of the popular crowd. He lets Eleanor sit, but otherwise ignores her, as much as she can be ignored. It’s only when he realizes that she is reading along with his comic books on the bus that they slowly, carefully start to interact.

I hardly have words for how much I loved Eleanor & Park. It made me laugh and cry and fall in love with reading all over again (which in turn made me spend an unwise amount of money at the bookstore). What more could you possibly ask for in a book?

Read more on my blog: http://kalafudra.com/2015/11/26/eleanor-park-rainbow-rowell/ ( )
  kalafudra | Nov 26, 2015 |
This book tells the story of a teen romance. It was a quick, easy, and fun read, but nothing that will stick with me for long. I did appreciate that the story was told from both the boy's and girl's perspective, and while it did get a little old hearing them gush about eachother, at least it was two sided gushing. ( )
  beckyface | Nov 22, 2015 |
  beckyface | Nov 22, 2015 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry -
and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.
He loved how much they loved each other. It was the thing he thought about when he woke up scared in the middle of the night. Not that they loved him -- they were his parents, they had to love him. That they loved each other. They didn't have to do that.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

1228 wanted5 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,862,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible