Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park

by Rainbow Rowell

English (230)  Spanish (2)  All languages (232)
Have you ever put off reading a book because you know that there is no way it can be as perfect as it is, unread, in your head? That's been the case for me with Eleanor and Park. I've read Rowell before (Attachments) and I've purchased Fangirl, and I want to read it, but first I knew I needed to pick up E&P. So, as I sit here coming off of a brutal first semester of graduate school and many, many books read that have challenged me, I knew I needed to pick something up that would make me laugh, a bit. Make me cry, a bit. And, basically, remind me of what it's like to live life and be young, a bit.

Read the rest of this review on December 18, 2014 at The Lost Entwife. ( )
  TheLostEntwife | Dec 17, 2014 |
Listened to the audiobook today while doing data entry at work today and almost burst into tears. Sweet, tender and absolutely amazing. ( )
  plaeski | Dec 16, 2014 |
that this (debut) book put Rainbow Rowell on everyone’s lips when John Green recommended it on his blog. It is a teen title, but with a lot of crossover appeal to adults! Set in the 1980s, Eleanor and Park are both social outcasts at their school who connect while riding the bus every day. While Park has a loving family, he is Asian which makes him different. Eleanor is the new kid at school, lives in poverty, and has an abusive stepfather. Their relationship blossoms from friendship to love while their external environment becomes increasingly dangerous.
  ktoonen | Dec 13, 2014 |
I think if you like John Green plots, you’ll like Rainbow Rowell’s novels. I absolutely loved Fangirl, so I decided to read her other YA novel, Eleanor and Park. I listened to both and was immersed in both novels. This novel takes place in the ‘80s, so there are no cell phones. It’s a nice look at what life was like for teenagers back then.

Eleanor has a really, really crappy, sad life. She has four younger siblings with whom she shares one small room. Her mother is married to an abusive man who hates Eleanor. In fact, he was so mad that he kicked her out for a year. She’s just returned when the novel begins. She’s boarding the school bus, which presents her first challenge. She’s a large girl with really curly red hair. She also dresses very oddly because her step-father doesn’t give them money for many clothes. No one wants to share a seat with this weird new girl. Park can’t stand it and meanly tells her to sit down. Thus begins their relationship.

As Eleanor and Park move from silence to love, the reader wonders what happens to Eleanor. At the beginning Park tells us that Eleanor is gone. We don’t want her to leave. They are meant to be together because she’s never been happy, and Park makes her happy by showing her how to live—introducing her to music and family life. Eleanor constantly fears when her step-father will discover that she has a boyfriend. Will he kick her out again? Will he beat her? Both Park and Eleanor have a strong sense of identity despite bullying and disappointed parents.

This is a great realistic novel; part of being realistic is that her stepfather is about a low class as a man can get, so there is some colorful language in the novel. The characters pull you in and you’ll be turning pages late into the night. ( )
  acargile | Dec 12, 2014 |
Love the problem solving aspects, overcoming life and love's obstacles, of this book. I was taken back to my experience of being in love for the first time. A good recommendation for teens but also for adult readers as well. ( )
  lolhscybrarian | Dec 2, 2014 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry - and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

28 wanted3 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,367,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible