Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park

by Rainbow Rowell

George by Alex Gino (Othemts)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these emotionally intense realistic fiction novels are set in the recent past, and feature misfit protagonists working through the agonies and ecstasies of first love, friendship, and surviving high school.
    I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan (bluenotebookonline)

English (414)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All (418)
Eleanor and Park is one of the best young adult books I have read in a long time. It is set in the 1980s and goes back and forth between Eleanor's and Park's perspectives. Both Park and Eleanor show different angles of the struggles teenagers face every day. Park struggles to fit in and find his own identity. He finds it difficult to relate to his father and brother, who seem to fit into the typical male stereotypes. However, his family does love one another despite it all. On the other side, Eleanor has had a very difficult home life. Her mother is married to an abuser, who also spends a little too much time watching Eleanor.

Eleanor and Park somehow are able to make a connection through music and comic books. It is a great story, but can be intense at times. I would recommend this to high school readers only. ( )
  VClarke | Jul 8, 2017 |
Beautifully and painfully real. And funny and touching and sad.

Right off the 1980s music references (Skinny Puppy, Joy Division, Minor Threat) had me embracing this book. That, coupled with the ignorant censorship this book has faced, makes me root for Rainbow Rowell. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
Beautiful book. Reminds me a lot of things and my own youth, but...there is an end... ( )
  lostdancer | Jun 29, 2017 |
I’ll be honest, I didn’t quite know what to expect going in to my reading of Eleanor & Park. This book has had some really great reviews and I wasn’t sure that it would live up to all the hype. I’m just going to get my overall thought out of the way right now. I don’t think Eleanor & Park is the best book I’ve read this year, but it was pretty good overall.

Full Review at Hopeful Happiness ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
Depressing. Domestic violence, broken family, bullying in school, sexual harrassment, semi-incest. If you loved Perks of Being A Wallflower, this is its spiritual cousin.

The only part that really struck a chord with me was when Mindy, Park's mom, was describing the family she left behind in Korea. She'd just seen Eleanor with her four siblings and mom and stepdad at the supermarket, then came home and cried, realizing she'd misjudged Eleanor.

(Chapter 32)

'In big family,' she said, 'everything... everybody spread so thin. Thin like paper, you know?' She made a tearing gesture. [...] 'Nobody gets enough,' she said. 'Nobody gets what they need. When you always hungry, you get hungry in your head.' She tapped her forehead. 'You know?'

---

But among all the romantic YA books I've read, this one comes closest to capturing the wonderful crazy preciousness of young love, without making me cringe overmuch. Just too bad the whole step-dad is a sick f*ck ruined the tone for me.

And the whole conflict with Park and his dad just seemed made up for the sake of making him less than perfect. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malhotra, SunilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry -
and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.
He loved how much they loved each other. It was the thing he thought about when he woke up scared in the middle of the night. Not that they loved him -- they were his parents, they had to love him. That they loved each other. They didn't have to do that.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,046,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible