Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park

by Rainbow Rowell

English (254)  Spanish (2)  All languages (256)
Breathless, hopeless, sad, wonderful, amazing, rollercoaster.. I was in tears by the end and had to reread the ending three times because I was crying and missing spots.

Grownups should read it. Teenagers should read it.

I wouldve read it in one day had I not stopped 2/3 of the way through and forced myself to wait. And even then I wasn't going to finish it tonight and then I couldn't NOT.

Caryn.Rose | Mar 18, 2015 |
This sounds like a great book. Definitely on my read list.
  sbalicki | Mar 16, 2015 |
Eleanor and Park is a charming, poignant tale about heartbreak, first loves and the lengths we go to for the people we care about.

I knew very little about this book when I picked it up, of course I had heard all the hype about it on Booktube and Twitter but it was mostly opinions of the book not anything about the book itself.

I was a little weary for the first couple of chapters but the second Park started waiting to turn the page of whatever comic he happened to be reading that day until he was sure Eleanor had caught up I couldn't put it down.

I adore Rainbow's writing style and how she tells such a sad, beautiful story without making you feel depressed.

I loved how both Park and Eleanor were somewhat oddballs, how they didn't quite fit in anywhere and how they weren't accepted by everyone. This isn't a story about the highschool cheerleader falling in love with the football captain. This is as real as you can get when writing about teenagers. Rainbow hits it right on the head.

Speaking of teenagers, teenagers have parents, at least most of them do and while they aren't perfect I was thrilled that they were actually in the story. So many times I'll read about the absentee parents, the ones who travel, the ones who work, the ones who met an untimely death. Its as if when authors start writing from the teens point of view they completely forget to write about the adults in the story.

This book is so well rounded and so real that its hard to pull yourself out of the book to accomplish anything.

I can see why so many people rave about this book.

Amazon - Barnes and Noble - Book Depository

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

I did just want to quickly note that the reason I loved Eleanor and Park so much was the ending. I know a few people who weren't too terribly pleased with the way things ended up and I do admit I love my endings wrapped up in shiny bows with "Happily Ever After" notes attached but the ending was far too perfect to complain about. At least for me.

Until next time,
Ginger

*Thank you to my amazing #OTSPSecretSister for sending me this! ( )
  Ginger_reader22 | Mar 12, 2015 |
interesting format with 3rd person individual perspective, switching back and forth between Eleanor and Park.

great for engaging and instructing teens about what life looks like on the other side of a young relationship and how each family has its own, unique culture.

i think the portrayal of the feelings between Park and Eleanor were fairly accurate and would keep anyone -but especially a teen- engaged with the book. the views from their respective perspectives felt right, too, with the lack of knowledge of what was going on behind their respective scenes.

at least one thing didn’t seem to make any sense, though, as in it came out of The Blue: Park’s sudden, defiant decision to wear mascara. was it because of Eleanor’s quirky fashion that Park loved so much? was it something else? it was definitely fueled by Park’s dad’s resistance to it but what triggered it? i don’t think the author showed us at all. at least, i couldn’t see it.

i DO think that the two main characters were a bit idealized and the minor characters -especially the younger siblings- were a bit shadowy and under-realized but then the story was totally from the POV of two 15/16 yos who might not be particularly aware of their siblings.

the way the 80s were presented was also skewed just a bit. having lived through them myself as a comic book/Star Wars nerdy teen, i know that it was no where near acceptable to have such interests like it is now. but the skew wasn’t enough to ruin the believability and take me out of the story. i’m also not sure that the author really gets the constant woozie fear of getting into fights that boys go through in school. Park just throwing himself into fights -even with martial arts training and a dad like his- just didn’t quite match up with my own experience.

the biggest drawback for me, though, was that i felt like the author was beating me over the head with pop culture references from the 80s to make sure we knew we were in the 80s. “hey! in case you forgot we’re in the 80s: where’s the beef! haha! Solid Gold dancers!” it slacked off later in the book but it was nearly insufferable at the beginning.

i liked it but i would not say it was deep and meaningful. for teens (or anyone, really), the love story would intrigue while the cultural diversity portrayed around that central theme would be eye-opening for many and in a way that would be non-preachy from a teenager’s viewpoint. themes like domestic abuse and its sense of hopelessness and being trapped, interracial marriage, racism, bullying, gender identity, self-image, etc all show up at one point or another and seem to be spot on for the most part. subtly included, they form a rich backdrop that helps give the story and characters three dimensions without beating you over the head with them. ( )
  keebrook | Mar 10, 2015 |
Wow. This book gave me all kinds of feels from giddy butterflies to curl up in a blanket and cry. Honestly. I giggled like a schoolgirl and I ugly cried. And it was great. Although this story was extremely sad in many kinds of ways, it was also somewhat … hopeful. But sad. Mostly sad.

Despite the depressing aspects of the plot line I wanted to give it 4 stars purely because of the huge range of emotions it spurred in me, the …. I don’t know… realness of the hardships that are portrayed in the novel. Many people were upset because of the swearing and the sexual or abusive aspects that were in the novel, but I think it was brilliantly done. And, of course, I loved the romance between the two title characters.

Eleanor & Park is set in 1986 and is about two misfit 16 year-olds who somehow manage to find love in the crazy, mixed-up, and often times soul crushing world that we know as the real one. I never like writing these summary parts because, let’s face it, I always skip them myself while reading reviews because I usually read reviews after I’ve read the book. And if you haven’t read it yet, the best kind of preview would be the back of the book I guess. Yeah…. so I guess the first sentence of this paragraph is an adequate enough summary for the purpose of this review.

I think I read this book in under 24 hours. I actually didn’t want to put it down, I just wanted to KEEP READING. I read late into the night and then, stupid me, finished it in public at school during a break between classes. I actually couldn’t concentrate for the rest of the day. I just felt SO much heartbreak and happiness all at once. I COULD NOT DEAL. Even though I knew this was going to be a sad book from the onset, I couldn’t help but root for these two. Park is definitely one of my literary dream guys (the list seems to get bigger and bigger with every book I read) and Eleanor was pretty cool. She kind of annoyed me at some points, but I rarely find a female romantic lead that doesn’t. Anytime she was really rude to Park it kind of ticked me off because Park is good as gold. I also thought she overreacted when she found out that Park had dated Tina. I mean, come on, he was TWELVE. I think we can all agree that the relationship was not a serious one Eleanor! Other than that I absolutely loved her and my heart went out to her for all the crap she had to go through in her life and her horrible home situation. By the end my heart was absolutely breaking for her and all I wanted was for these two to have a happy ending. God knows they deserve it. And maybe they do get one? You’ll have to read and find out!!

There were so many aspects of this relationship that made me squeal like a school girl. It was just TOO cute. Examples? Well there was when Park made her a mixed tape so she could listen to the songs she had been wanting to hear, when they read comic books together on the bus, and some of the things they say to each other are just… out of this world. This is why I’m perpetually single. Boys and relationships in books have completely ruined any chances of me finding the impossibly perfect romance I have come to expect because of these books. Thank you Rainbow Rowell, Stephanie Perkins, Cassandra Clare and co.

One last thing to note about this book was…….. THE HAND HOLDING. This is probably the only book that made holding hands such a romantically charged activity. Never have I read a scene that was so beautifully described the power of holding someone’s hand and having them rub your palm with their thumb. It gave me shivers. Seriously never thought I would be left breathless because of a hand holding scene.

I definitely recommend this book if you’re in the mood for a contemporary teen love story that will make you swoon while simultaneously tugging at your heartstrings. Well…. snapping them would probably be a more accurate description. This is one YA novel that I would want everyone to read! I also highly recommend reading Rowell’s other novel Fangirl. I read it and absolutely LOVED it. ( )
  ceecee83 | Feb 28, 2015 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry - and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.
He loved how much they loved each other. It was the thing he thought about when he woke up scared in the middle of the night. Not that they loved him -- they were his parents, they had to love him. That they loved each other. They didn't have to do that.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

28 wanted4 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,167,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible