Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park

by Rainbow Rowell

English (212)  Spanish (1)  All languages (213)
I fully admit that I'm a sucky book reviewer. This book for me was so personal that this review is just for me.
Eleanor is just that girl. The weird one that people pick on. Who knows exactly why? She doesn't stand up for herself, she doesn't fight back. I was that girl. This is me my 10th grade year.

If this book had been around then I would have completely worn the pages out. As it is I feel like highlighting and just re-reading the thing until it falls apart.
Talking about Romeo and Juliet Eleanor's comments were "It was 'Oh my God, he's so cute' at first site. It's Shakespeare making fun of love."
Exactly.

I hated PE class. That was the worst time of my school life. Not because I didn't want to participate..that's just when the mean girls/boys were the worst. "I'm going to tell Mrs. Burt that my mom doesn't want me to do anything that might rupture my hymen. For religious reasons." I can't tell you how many notes I forged in my mom's name and how creative I was in those reasons.

Park's thoughts on Eleanor at one time. "He couldn't figure out why it upset her so much. Sometimes, it seemed like she was trying to hide everything that was pretty about her. Like she wanted to look ugly."
Believe me..you do get to that point. You don't really understand why. Your mind just completely gets to the point where if everyone else thinks badly about you, so do you.

I never had my Park. I did have friends. But I can remember when the teasing started that I could see the embarrassment on their faces too. You hate to see that but it happens. I don't think worse of them now. It just happened.

I ended up leaving home at age 15. I went out on my own and met new people and guess what? I wasn't judged like I had been in middle and high school. I realized it was just that group of people. I can be included in groups of people and liked for who I am.
My daughter faced some bullying last year at school. Not because of what she looked like or wore. (she is beautiful) She was picked on because she stood up to the bullies that were picking on a friend of hers. So I did learn something from my teen years. I raised someone who just won't stand for it.

And now me? I'm the queen bitch of you piss me off and I'll tear your arm off and beat you with it. (well in words anyways).
Remember guys and girls. What doesn't kill you makes you strong as hell.
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
For everyone who remembers their first love, and for those going through and coming to theirs. As real as can be for today, written about the 80's but would not have been accepted by as many readers then as now. ( )
  librarian1204 | Aug 23, 2014 |
I'm reluctant to give the book a rating, as I've yet to read it cover to cover, but I've tried to read it twice, and both times stopped. Couldn't get into it at all. I'll give it one more attempt, later in the year, before ultimately posting up a rating / review.
  HiroProtagonist | Aug 22, 2014 |
Amazing writing. The way it wrapped up the "mystery" situation was totally unexpected, and what came after that was heartbreaking. But the last page....the last page was PERFECTION. ( )
  TeresaKander | Aug 20, 2014 |
I know those who love this and those who hate it. I'm somewhere in the middle. It was just ok for me. I could have done without a lot of the language. I know some who would probably love this type of story, but because of the language will never pick it up to read. I think my biggest problem with this is that when I reached the final pages, it just ended. I'm one who always needs everything wrapped up in a neat bow, and I just wanted a little bit more out of the story.

Anyway, I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry - and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

28 wanted3 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,736,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible