Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park (2012)

by Rainbow Rowell

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these emotionally intense realistic fiction novels are set in the recent past, and feature misfit protagonists working through the agonies and ecstasies of first love, friendship, and surviving high school.
    I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan (bluenotebookonline)

English (274)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (276)
Not too much happens in this story but at the same time it is an engaging read. ( )
  rebeccar76 | Jun 24, 2015 |
This book was adorable, and I'd recommend it to anyone! I myself didn't care for the ending, though, but it can be overlooked since the book was so good. ( )
  ourladyofthepage | Jun 20, 2015 |
Eleanor and Park is a well-written young adult novel with a somewhat typical premise: two outcasts fall in the best kind of teenage love despite certain forces attempting to pull them apart. Eleanor is unabashedly different from her peers - she dresses in odd clothes, comes from a severely dysfunctional family and is maliciously bullied at school, while Park is half-Korean and has never felt like he fit in. They court each other slowly: on the bus to and from school, sharing comic books and alternative 80's rock music. When Eleanor's problems at home and school come to a crisis, Park risks his own relationship with his parents and friends to help her escape. The ending isn't neatly packaged and put away, but the ambiguity of it is one of cautious hope. A must-read for YA lovers, especially for those who love a strong story with misfit characters who find love despite forces that threaten to keep them apart. ( )
  ghostwire | Jun 10, 2015 |
Do you remember your first love? The intensity? The drama? The obsession? Eleanor and Park is the story of two misfit teens who grow to love each other almost accidentally. Their love for each other becomes a living, breathing thing that consumes, confuses, frustrates, and connects them both. Set in 1986 complete with Walkmans, ’80’s music, movies, books and other authentic references, this romance is more than just a romance. It is friendship; it is being a teenager in high school; it is beautiful, sad, dramatic, tragic, funny, witty and ultimately full of hope. Sometimes, if I’m lucky, I really love a book. Then there are those rare times, I fall in love with one,, and it sticks with me like an experience that I know I’ll always remember with great fondness. Eleanor and Park was like that for me. I read it straight through without a break, almost without remembering to breathe. It was THAT good! I highly recommend it despite the foul-mouths of some of the characters. There is a reason that this book is a bestseller, won a Goodreads Choice Award and received starred reviews from Kirkus, Booklist and Publisher’s Weekly. Simply put, it is beautiful in its authenticity ( )
  TheLoopyLibrarian | Jun 3, 2015 |
This may just be the best teenage love story ever written. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry - and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.
He loved how much they loved each other. It was the thing he thought about when he woke up scared in the middle of the night. Not that they loved him -- they were his parents, they had to love him. That they loved each other. They didn't have to do that.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

1246 wanted4 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,872,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible