Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park

by Rainbow Rowell

English (225)  Spanish (2)  All languages (227)
This is a teen love story for all those teens that don't feel like they "fit in". Elenor is that freaky girl who wears odd clothes, stays to herself, and puts up with the popular girls tauntings. Park is the punk kid that still manages to keep some of the friends that he had in middle school, but he still walks to the beat of a different drummer. I think Ms. Rowell does a great job of articulating their angst, their fears, their social awkwardness and finally their growing love for each other.Eleanor's home situation creates the tension in the novel. I don't know who I despised more Eleanor's stepfather or her mother for refusing to protect her children.
This would be a great addition to the YA section of the library. ( )
  asomers | Nov 24, 2014 |
Eleanor & Park. I really thought I would like this book a lot more than I did. I mean, I didn't hate it, but I certainly didn't like it that much either. For me, there were just too many things I didn't like, and too little things that I did.
My first complaint was the romance. I just didn't get it. For me, there was nothing between Eleanor and Park. Absolutely no chemistry, and nothing really close either. Things were way to fast, and even if you disregard the timeline, the feelings simply aren't there. Park says he loves Eleanor, but I feel like they barely even like each other. I know that it's supposed to be about teens, but I feel like Mrs. Rowell was basing her characters off the stereotypical teen. They went through all the motions of being in love, but I didn't really feel anything.
My biggest complaint was the characters, namely Eleanor. Now I know she is coming from a rough background, but that's no excuse to be angsty all the time. She would get mad at Park without him doing anything. Plus, I felt like I never got a good sense of who she was. Sure, I knew some things about her. She read comic books, listened to emo music. However, I couldn't tell if she did these things because she liked them or because Park liked them. Park handed her the comic books, and she read them. Did she do that before she had come? Did she like it for any other reason other than because Park liked them? Was that really the kind of music that she liked, or did she just listen to it because Park did? She mentions liking the Beatles at one point, but they aren't exactly the kind of music that Park listens to. What kind of music does she actually like? Does she like anything on her own, or does she always need other people to tell her what she should like? She wasn't an awful character or anything, and I liked her sometimes, but Eleanor and I just didn't click.
Secondly, Park. I felt like even though he was supposed to be main character, he even narrates half the story, he was still kind of a background character. Almost everything he did seemed to revolve around Eleanor, and not in the 'I'm so in love she's all I can think about' way, but in a pointless kind of way. To me, he was just around so that Eleanor could 'love' someone. Normally, I would be okay with that (though I would prefer that it wasn't that way), but he split the narrative. If you're going to have somebody narrate the story, give them something to do, something to add.
This book wasn't the worst book ever though. I actually really liked her writing style. For me, the problems were less with the way she wrote, and more with the content of her writing. I won't cross her off my list just because of this book, but I might be a little more weary when I go to read another one of her books.
Two Point Five out of Five Stars
Find this review and even more here: http://themessengerreviews.blogspot.com/2014/03/eleanor-park.html ( )
  TheMessengerReviews | Nov 23, 2014 |
Gr 9-Up, Eleanor just moved to town, and being the new kid is never easy, especially when you have bright red hair, and eccentric style even for the 1980s. Park is nervous that this new girl is about to sit down next to him on the bus. She does. This is a story about friendship, love, and hard times. Eleanor and Park’s love for each other evolves over time, all starting with their love of comics and alternative 80s music. Eleanor’s home life is the furthest thing from great, but she has Park. When things get out of control at home, their love for each other is truly tested. This is a story about first love, told in two narratives of both Eleanor and Park creating characters and a story with depth. A must read for anyone who is fond of YA romance. ( )
  foresterk | Nov 19, 2014 |
When Eleanor first sat with Park on the bus, it didn't seem they could ever be friends, let alone more. But as they share comics, music, and insecurities, what grows between them is very real. Eleanor is still bullied and judged for her unique fashion style, but Park would do anything for her, and she starts to see hope as she spends time with his family, and realizes that she can get away from hers when she needs to. It's a readable story of substance, about love that can't not last forever.

AR level: 3.8 UG
Lexile: HL580
Recommended for: teens, young adults ( )
  liblb | Nov 19, 2014 |
Told in alternating voices: Eleanor's and Parks, this budding friendship turns into a believable teen angst-ridden romance. But the genuine voices of both characters lift it up beyond a maudlin level - both of these young people are complex, quirky, alternating between brave and self-doubting moves. The adults in the story - thankfully- are also more realistic and rounded characters than many in teen fiction. The author gradually lets us in on both teens' family life, with all the desperate neglect and poverty of Eleanor's home and the much more middle- class, happily married parents of Park's home. The emerging details of Eleanor's predicament : a casual, distracted real dad who rarely sees his children; her worn, fragile mom who makes the best of her new marriage in spite of all its inherent dangers and trauma for her five children; an ominous, routinely drunk step dad whose every mood and preference must be appeased. Eleanor struggles to allow Park to see the realities of her life, endures the bullying of the obligatory mean girls at school, and she totally won me over with her chin up, persevering spirit- Eleanor doesn't complain - she's deals with her difficulties without self pity, & heartbreaking maturity. And Park's growing love for her seems that much more RIGHT. Readers who loved John Green's The Fault in Our Stars will appreciate this story!! Hoping Rainbow Rowell has more stories like these - our teen readers need them . Serious issues (bullying, casual drug/ drinking, abuse) and sexual content definitely require more mature readers. ( )
  BDartnall | Nov 15, 2014 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry - and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

28 wanted3 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,045,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible