Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park

by Rainbow Rowell

George by Alex Gino (Othemts)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these emotionally intense realistic fiction novels are set in the recent past, and feature misfit protagonists working through the agonies and ecstasies of first love, friendship, and surviving high school.
    I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan (bluenotebookonline)

English (494)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (498)
The first line sets the tone for the novel, "XTC was no good for drowning out the morons on the back of the bus." Eleanor and Park takes us back to Omaha, August 1986, on a nostalgic trip for those of us who remember the 1980's, myself included! The novel is written in both Eleanor and Park's, point of view, this works well, and gives the novel a deep insight into both male and female teenagers.

There is only one seat available on the school bus and of course this is next to Park, a Korean kid, with a comic obsession, who listens to music to shut out the banter of the popular kids on the bus. To begin with Park doesn't know what to make of Eleanor, this new kid who ends up sitting next to him on the last available seat. But in time he warms to her, encouraging her to read his comics, and listen to music. Rainbow Rowell uses the confined space of the seats on the bus to good effect, the two teenagers are so close they are almost touching, the reader can't wait for them to get closer!

Eleanor and Park is at its most successful at depicting first love. The little almost imperceptible actions that mean so much, such as Park turning the page for Eleanor as he reads his comic. The words unspoken, the gestures, looking at each others shoes, and admiring them. Even sensory details such as Park reflecting that when Eleanor returned his comics to him they smelt like roses. Above all else, it's the tenderness of first love, the hand holding, “Holding Eleanor’s hand was like holding a butterfly. Or a heartbeat.” Of course this progresses to their first kiss, and gentle caresses, all these romantic progressions, amount to a heart warming description of first love.

Eleanor is bullied because of her size, and dress sense, and because she's different. Park is culturally different from the other kids, he's Korean, and this makes him vulnerable too. I related a lot to this as I have experienced problems like this myself when I was growing up, (my mother is Malaysian). Park just about gets by without too much attention by trying to be unobserved, whereas Eleanor draws attention to herself with her weird dress sense. It is as if she is unable to help herself. She is big, white skinned, with shocking red hair, but rather than draw attention away from her hair, or her dress sense she does the opposite, like she is challenging them. No wonder they call her big red. There are even instances when Park wonders what he sees in big red, at one point he compares her mouth to the Jokers, not exactly very attractive sounding, yet in time he finds her so appealing that he can't bear to be without her. I really admire this aspect of the story, these two less than popular teenagers, fit together, and nothing else matters. Park accepts that Eleanor is different but rather than putting him off, he finds this attracts him to her. Eleanor perpetuates this by telling him off for calling her “nice,” Park thinks: “Eleanor was right: She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn’t supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.” This is one of my favourite quotes from the book. It sums up Eleanor so well in just a few words. Eleanor is happy in her own skin, and this is an appealing quality that readers will admire.

Park's home life is stable and happy compared to Eleanor's. Eleanor feels it's necessary to hide aspects of her sad, home life from Park. He has no idea that she's so poor. She doesn't even have a toothbrush, or a phone. But more than that she has to contend with her unpleasant step dad Richie, and his nasty behaviour on a daily basis. Her mother comes across as this weak individual unable to stand up to Richie, and the children and herself suffer in this abusive relationship. Eleanor pretends not to notice bruises on her mum's wrists. It is easier to turn a blind eye than to admit what's really going on.

Though Rainbow Rowell did a great job in creating this sad backdrop of an abusive home life, I do think that the developing love story between Eleanor and Park is more powerful, emotive and effective, than the other aspects of the novel, which could have been developed more. Though this would have altered the tone of the novel making it a more serious read, and Rainbow Rowell works best on a light-hearted level.
  marjorie.mallon | Mar 27, 2019 |
Another one done. I know I’m late to the party but I am so happy I found Rainbow Rowell this year. I really enjoyed this book, Rowell writes such lovably imperfect characters. Eleanor’s family situation was heartbreaking and I wished I could rescue them. The characters and details were nerdy and awkward. The story was wonderfully told from alternating points of view. And like life, it wasn’t all wrapped neatly and solved to perfection at the end. 5/5 stars ⭐️ ( )
  justjoshinreads | Mar 22, 2019 |
This book made me feel emotions. The good kind, and the bad kind. I am simultaneously upset, and happy, and ohmygodilovethisbook.

The ending is what sold me. Those last few bits were an excellent close to this book.

A great read to begin 2019! ( )
  thathikermeg | Mar 16, 2019 |
“Eleanor & Park”, by Rainbow Rowell was the book I needed at the moment. This book was written, perhaps, with a teen audience in mind- but it is the teen that I was that this book was meant for. Once I was a bit of a snob who never read child or YA lit, but being a school librarian cured me of that flaw. Good writing is good writing. This book, set in the late 80s, tells the unglorified story of a first love. It’s messy, it’s self-conscious, it’s compulsive, too worried about what peers may think or see. It’s easy as an adult to be dismissive of a first live, of a teenaged love story. But it’s absolutely necessary to go through a first love to have another one. Some content a parents may wish to screen for younger readers. Really good stuff! ( )
  pdill8 | Mar 12, 2019 |
I loved this story! ( )
  hejmarguerite | Mar 12, 2019 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malhotra, SunilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry -
and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.
He loved how much they loved each other. It was the thing he thought about when he woke up scared in the middle of the night. Not that they loved him -- they were his parents, they had to love him. That they loved each other. They didn't have to do that.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,130,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible