Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park (edition 2013)

by Rainbow Rowell

Member:dianestm
Title:Eleanor & Park
Authors:Rainbow Rowell
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013, Fiction, Romance

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Recently added bykatieray, EmScape, private library, sarcasticArtist, alonlaudon, smacg, kethorn23, katiejo2324, snazz

English (255)  Spanish (2)  All languages (257)
I am very disappointed. I was expecting more sweetness, more cuteness, something that would make me feel all gooey inside. But I felt nothing of the above. It was awkward and felt forced. And I couldn't for the life of me understand why it was set in 1986? The only thing that came to mind was the AA batteries and the walkman... Then I read some reviews... So it's supposed to be about "racism".. I found none in the book. Every character was well respected. Apart from someone we don't know, who was mentioned by Sabrina (Eleanor's mom).

Another thing that really bothered me: Park is a misfit!!! How is he a misfit? Everyone seemed to like him and wanted or even thought they were his friends. He was the one not talking to them and ignoring them.

Then there was Eleanor sens of "fashion". Throughout the entire book, Park thought she wears what she wears because that's her. She's showing her uniqueness through her clothes! I'm sorry to tell you Park, but she dresses like that because she's poor. she wears what she has. It has nothing to do with expressing oneself.

My favorite characters were Park's parents. they were real, and everything they did was understandable.

Inessova | Mar 28, 2015 |
Breathless, hopeless, sad, wonderful, amazing, rollercoaster.. I was in tears by the end and had to reread the ending three times because I was crying and missing spots.

Grownups should read it. Teenagers should read it.

I wouldve read it in one day had I not stopped 2/3 of the way through and forced myself to wait. And even then I wasn't going to finish it tonight and then I couldn't NOT.

Caryn.Rose | Mar 18, 2015 |
This sounds like a great book. Definitely on my read list.
  sbalicki | Mar 16, 2015 |
Eleanor and Park is a charming, poignant tale about heartbreak, first loves and the lengths we go to for the people we care about.

I knew very little about this book when I picked it up, of course I had heard all the hype about it on Booktube and Twitter but it was mostly opinions of the book not anything about the book itself.

I was a little weary for the first couple of chapters but the second Park started waiting to turn the page of whatever comic he happened to be reading that day until he was sure Eleanor had caught up I couldn't put it down.

I adore Rainbow's writing style and how she tells such a sad, beautiful story without making you feel depressed.

I loved how both Park and Eleanor were somewhat oddballs, how they didn't quite fit in anywhere and how they weren't accepted by everyone. This isn't a story about the highschool cheerleader falling in love with the football captain. This is as real as you can get when writing about teenagers. Rainbow hits it right on the head.

Speaking of teenagers, teenagers have parents, at least most of them do and while they aren't perfect I was thrilled that they were actually in the story. So many times I'll read about the absentee parents, the ones who travel, the ones who work, the ones who met an untimely death. Its as if when authors start writing from the teens point of view they completely forget to write about the adults in the story.

This book is so well rounded and so real that its hard to pull yourself out of the book to accomplish anything.

I can see why so many people rave about this book.

Amazon - Barnes and Noble - Book Depository

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

I did just want to quickly note that the reason I loved Eleanor and Park so much was the ending. I know a few people who weren't too terribly pleased with the way things ended up and I do admit I love my endings wrapped up in shiny bows with "Happily Ever After" notes attached but the ending was far too perfect to complain about. At least for me.

Until next time,
Ginger

*Thank you to my amazing #OTSPSecretSister for sending me this! ( )
  Ginger_reader22 | Mar 12, 2015 |
interesting format with 3rd person individual perspective, switching back and forth between Eleanor and Park.

great for engaging and instructing teens about what life looks like on the other side of a young relationship and how each family has its own, unique culture.

i think the portrayal of the feelings between Park and Eleanor were fairly accurate and would keep anyone -but especially a teen- engaged with the book. the views from their respective perspectives felt right, too, with the lack of knowledge of what was going on behind their respective scenes.

at least one thing didn’t seem to make any sense, though, as in it came out of The Blue: Park’s sudden, defiant decision to wear mascara. was it because of Eleanor’s quirky fashion that Park loved so much? was it something else? it was definitely fueled by Park’s dad’s resistance to it but what triggered it? i don’t think the author showed us at all. at least, i couldn’t see it.

i DO think that the two main characters were a bit idealized and the minor characters -especially the younger siblings- were a bit shadowy and under-realized but then the story was totally from the POV of two 15/16 yos who might not be particularly aware of their siblings.

the way the 80s were presented was also skewed just a bit. having lived through them myself as a comic book/Star Wars nerdy teen, i know that it was no where near acceptable to have such interests like it is now. but the skew wasn’t enough to ruin the believability and take me out of the story. i’m also not sure that the author really gets the constant woozie fear of getting into fights that boys go through in school. Park just throwing himself into fights -even with martial arts training and a dad like his- just didn’t quite match up with my own experience.

the biggest drawback for me, though, was that i felt like the author was beating me over the head with pop culture references from the 80s to make sure we knew we were in the 80s. “hey! in case you forgot we’re in the 80s: where’s the beef! haha! Solid Gold dancers!” it slacked off later in the book but it was nearly insufferable at the beginning.

i liked it but i would not say it was deep and meaningful. for teens (or anyone, really), the love story would intrigue while the cultural diversity portrayed around that central theme would be eye-opening for many and in a way that would be non-preachy from a teenager’s viewpoint. themes like domestic abuse and its sense of hopelessness and being trapped, interracial marriage, racism, bullying, gender identity, self-image, etc all show up at one point or another and seem to be spot on for the most part. subtly included, they form a rich backdrop that helps give the story and characters three dimensions without beating you over the head with them. ( )
  keebrook | Mar 10, 2015 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry - and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.
He loved how much they loved each other. It was the thing he thought about when he woke up scared in the middle of the night. Not that they loved him -- they were his parents, they had to love him. That they loved each other. They didn't have to do that.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

28 wanted4 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,184,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible