Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park (edition 2013)

by Rainbow Rowell

Member:dianestm
Title:Eleanor & Park
Authors:Rainbow Rowell
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013, Fiction, Romance

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these emotionally intense realistic fiction novels are set in the recent past, and feature misfit protagonists working through the agonies and ecstasies of first love, friendship, and surviving high school.
    I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan (bluenotebookonline)

English (359)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (362)
This was gorgeous. Unusual characters make for an endearing, but unusual boy-meets-girl plot. Instead of the standard beautiful girl meets rippling muscle sensitive guy with the mysterious eyes, we have a damaged, overweight, grungy sort of girl meeting a skinny half-Korean boy who takes to wearing guy-liner. I love the way their friendship develops slowly through the comic books Park loves to read, and their awkwardness with each other feels entirely real. So does the growing feeling of menace. "But", I found myself saying in an annoying whiny voice, "I didn't like the ending..." Well, since revisiting, I've decided I DO. What could those 3 little words on the postcard have said? ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
I will not be doing this often...but I am linking back to GR for my review on this book,  which is the same as below, however updates are non-transferable. :(  My review and updates

This book is just lovely, sweet and heartbreaking. And it is clear from the beautiful fan art present on-line that this book has touched many a heart.

See updates below for a visual journey of this story." ( )
  JulieCovington | May 29, 2016 |
I'll be quite honest — I didn't expect to like Eleanor and Park very much when I started it. I read it on the advice/orders of my girlfriend, and expected it to be a teen romance novel much in the same way I expected the Maze Runner trilogy to be a teenage dystopian novel — very much of its genre, tweaking only small details, with stories interchangeable to an almost shocking degree. But it surprised me. It didn't invert, contravene and confound the trappings of the teen novel the way some of my favorite genre books subvert theirs, but it really worked for me. I cared about the characters, and I cared about what happened to them.

Read the full review here. ( )
  thoughtbox | May 27, 2016 |
Wow! Eleanor & Park resonated with me. The setting is a high school in Nebraska in 1986. Park is accepted by the cool kids but not quite one of them, he's more is own guy. Eleanor is a misfit coming from a poor home with an abusive step-father. Eleanor & Park fall in love and their relationship is so sweetly innocent as they discover each other. A most excellent book! ( )
  DougAnn | May 3, 2016 |
Eleanor and Park don't fit in anywhere. They are throw together and slowly build a relationship that neither of them expects. Eleanor is complicated and frustrating at times to Park, but he loves her even more as he gets to know her, and as she slowly lets him in to her unfortunate life circumstances. The alternating narration of Eleanor and Park works well on this story. Suited for high school. ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry -
and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.
He loved how much they loved each other. It was the thing he thought about when he woke up scared in the middle of the night. Not that they loved him -- they were his parents, they had to love him. That they loved each other. They didn't have to do that.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

1228 wanted6 pay10 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,957,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible