Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park (edition 2013)

by Rainbow Rowell

Member:dianestm
Title:Eleanor & Park
Authors:Rainbow Rowell
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013, Fiction, Romance

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

English (250)  Spanish (2)  All languages (252)
Wow. This book gave me all kinds of feels from giddy butterflies to curl up in a blanket and cry. Honestly. I giggled like a schoolgirl and I ugly cried. And it was great. Although this story was extremely sad in many kinds of ways, it was also somewhat … hopeful. But sad. Mostly sad.

Despite the depressing aspects of the plot line I wanted to give it 4 stars purely because of the huge range of emotions it spurred in me, the …. I don’t know… realness of the hardships that are portrayed in the novel. Many people were upset because of the swearing and the sexual or abusive aspects that were in the novel, but I think it was brilliantly done. And, of course, I loved the romance between the two title characters.

Eleanor & Park is set in 1986 and is about two misfit 16 year-olds who somehow manage to find love in the crazy, mixed-up, and often times soul crushing world that we know as the real one. I never like writing these summary parts because, let’s face it, I always skip them myself while reading reviews because I usually read reviews after I’ve read the book. And if you haven’t read it yet, the best kind of preview would be the back of the book I guess. Yeah…. so I guess the first sentence of this paragraph is an adequate enough summary for the purpose of this review.

I think I read this book in under 24 hours. I actually didn’t want to put it down, I just wanted to KEEP READING. I read late into the night and then, stupid me, finished it in public at school during a break between classes. I actually couldn’t concentrate for the rest of the day. I just felt SO much heartbreak and happiness all at once. I COULD NOT DEAL. Even though I knew this was going to be a sad book from the onset, I couldn’t help but root for these two. Park is definitely one of my literary dream guys (the list seems to get bigger and bigger with every book I read) and Eleanor was pretty cool. She kind of annoyed me at some points, but I rarely find a female romantic lead that doesn’t. Anytime she was really rude to Park it kind of ticked me off because Park is good as gold. I also thought she overreacted when she found out that Park had dated Tina. I mean, come on, he was TWELVE. I think we can all agree that the relationship was not a serious one Eleanor! Other than that I absolutely loved her and my heart went out to her for all the crap she had to go through in her life and her horrible home situation. By the end my heart was absolutely breaking for her and all I wanted was for these two to have a happy ending. God knows they deserve it. And maybe they do get one? You’ll have to read and find out!!

There were so many aspects of this relationship that made me squeal like a school girl. It was just TOO cute. Examples? Well there was when Park made her a mixed tape so she could listen to the songs she had been wanting to hear, when they read comic books together on the bus, and some of the things they say to each other are just… out of this world. This is why I’m perpetually single. Boys and relationships in books have completely ruined any chances of me finding the impossibly perfect romance I have come to expect because of these books. Thank you Rainbow Rowell, Stephanie Perkins, Cassandra Clare and co.

One last thing to note about this book was…….. THE HAND HOLDING. This is probably the only book that made holding hands such a romantically charged activity. Never have I read a scene that was so beautifully described the power of holding someone’s hand and having them rub your palm with their thumb. It gave me shivers. Seriously never thought I would be left breathless because of a hand holding scene.

I definitely recommend this book if you’re in the mood for a contemporary teen love story that will make you swoon while simultaneously tugging at your heartstrings. Well…. snapping them would probably be a more accurate description. This is one YA novel that I would want everyone to read! I also highly recommend reading Rowell’s other novel Fangirl. I read it and absolutely LOVED it. ( )
  ceecee83 | Feb 28, 2015 |
One of the best books I have read this year! ( )
  michele.juza | Feb 25, 2015 |
Rainbow Rowell tells the story of two unique teenagers who unexpectedly fall in love. While the tale sounds cliché, Rowell reminds the readers what it feels like to be a teenager, which makes the novel something any teenager can relate to. Told through the perspectives of both Park and Eleanor, we learn about two teenagers who come from very different backgrounds, but bond over a love of music and comics in an accidental yet special relationship. The character development is superbly attained through the switching points of view, creating a very unique writing style. In addition to the beautiful way the story is told, Rowell gives the reader a very realistic narrative, putting the reader right in the shoes of the characters. The story seems slow-paced, as if you are experiencing the action in real time, but before you know it you have flown through the book. In the way that readers emotionally invested themselves in Edward & Bella (Twilight) and Augustus & Hazel (The Fault in Our Stars), you will find yourself laughing and crying with, and ultimately loving with, Eleanor & Park. The book is great for high school readers, both high and low. The story is a very easy but captivating read. Rowell’s use of setting and character development as well as point of view make the novel a superb choice for the classroom and a must have for every high school library. ( )
1 vote Whitneyhhh | Feb 22, 2015 |
The book was okay. I spend a whole day in my bedroom reading this. But I didnt liked the ending, I was expecting something more exciting. ( )
  melanielost | Feb 16, 2015 |
Oh, my god.
I have never felt so connect to a character as I have with Eleanor.
I saw so much of myself and my life in her— it was almost surreal.

I’ve only ever heard good things about Eleanor & Park and yet, I had very low expectations when I started reading it. I was wrong. So, so, so wrong. I devoured this book. I couldn’t put it down until after I had read every single word. I didn’t want it to end. I want to reread it over and over. ( )
  Serenity_Tigerlily | Feb 16, 2015 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry - and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.
He loved how much they loved each other. It was the thing he thought about when he woke up scared in the middle of the night. Not that they loved him -- they were his parents, they had to love him. That they loved each other. They didn't have to do that.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

28 wanted4 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,796,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible