Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park (edition 2013)

by Rainbow Rowell

Member:dianestm
Title:Eleanor & Park
Authors:Rainbow Rowell
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013, Fiction, Romance

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these emotionally intense realistic fiction novels are set in the recent past, and feature misfit protagonists working through the agonies and ecstasies of first love, friendship, and surviving high school.
    I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan (bluenotebookonline)

English (379)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (382)
My thoughts: 3

Things I enjoyed:

eighties references
dual point of view
character development (Park)
cute love story
Eleanor has a really hard life at home. Her stepdad is a jerk. He is abusive and spends most of his time drunk. After spending a year away, Eleanor is back to living with her family. That means starting over in a new school. She instantly becomes an outcast. She doesn’t fit in at all and the mean girls take advantage of her. They pull embarrassing pranks on her to humiliate and make her feel like crap. Even Park was a jerk the first day they met. Granted, he was trying to help her in a way, but they started off with the wrong foot. It takes them a while to warm up to each other. They bond over comic books and music and its adorably nerdy and cute. The whole book is focused on their relationship and their life at home.

Eleanor- I liked her and I didn’t. I felt bad for her. She didn’t deserve what happened to her, but she was hard to like. Even Park described her as far from nice. Dont get me wrong, I don’t need my character to be “nice” in order for me to like them. I have loved some really shady characters, yet Eleanor was a pill I could not swallow. I think my main problem is that I did not connect with her. I did not understand her actions or how her mind worked.

Park- He is also describes as an outcast, but in a different way than Eleanor. He is never bullied or picked on. He is just left alone. As a character, I actually like him. He was a teenager all the way. At first, he really cared about what people thought of him associating with someone like Eleanor. Yeah, that doesn’t sound like love, haha. The interesting thing with Park was seeing him grow as a character. He left that mindset behind and embraced his love for Eleanor. He also embraced his love for other things (wink-wink), and learned to not care about what others thought of him.

I have to admit, I did not like the ending. It was left open. At least that how it felt for me. I think some people might consider it a happy ending, but I did not find it satisfying at all.

While I was reading this, I kept checking what page number I was on. This only happens when something doesn’t completely interest me. I kept waiting for the big BAM that would make this book awesome and would explain all the hype. I don’t think I ever saw it. I enjoyed the book, but I expected more. Like I said before, this book has really touched some people. It was not my thing but its worth a try. ( )
  Kamilah.h | Aug 20, 2016 |
Great writing, not a lot happens, and the bad guy is totally one dimensional with no explanation to his character, but overall a great book. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Aug 13, 2016 |
Two misfits. One extraordinary love. Eleanor -- Red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind him until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber and flatter and never good enough -- Eleanor. Park -- He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she ever gets to the punch line. There's a place on his chest, just below his throat, that makes her want to keep promises -- Park. Set over the course of one school year, this is the story of two star-crossed sixteen-year-olds -- smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try
  PamPopp | Jul 30, 2016 |
Lovely and heartbreaking... Just like love in high school always is in reality :( ( )
  KnivesBoone | Jul 29, 2016 |
Rowell manages to capture the uncertainties and overwhelming nature of young love in this novel starring Eleanor and Park (bet you didn’t guess that!). The constantly switching points of view draw you in and let you fully experience the romance. She brings to life various social issues that many people have to deal with and aren’t often included in novels, especially all at once (even though they represent the reality for many), such as poverty, domestic abuse and racism. Rowell proves herself a mastermind at writing deep, complex and unique teenage characters that you will feel like you genuinely know. A great read for fans of contemporary(ish) YA and feels.

The above is just my short summary. My full review can be found here: https://danireviewsthings.wordpress.com/2015/05/28/eleanor-park-by-rainbow-rowell/ ( )
  dani_reviews | Jul 22, 2016 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry -
and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.
He loved how much they loved each other. It was the thing he thought about when he woke up scared in the middle of the night. Not that they loved him -- they were his parents, they had to love him. That they loved each other. They didn't have to do that.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,411,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible