Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park (edition 2013)

by Rainbow Rowell

Member:dianestm
Title:Eleanor & Park
Authors:Rainbow Rowell
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013, Fiction, Romance

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

English (212)  Spanish (1)  All languages (213)
For everyone who remembers their first love, and for those going through and coming to theirs. As real as can be for today, written about the 80's but would not have been accepted by as many readers then as now. ( )
  librarian1204 | Aug 23, 2014 |
I'm reluctant to give the book a rating, as I've yet to read it cover to cover, but I've tried to read it twice, and both times stopped. Couldn't get into it at all. I'll give it one more attempt, later in the year, before ultimately posting up a rating / review.
  HiroProtagonist | Aug 22, 2014 |
Amazing writing. The way it wrapped up the "mystery" situation was totally unexpected, and what came after that was heartbreaking. But the last page....the last page was PERFECTION. ( )
  TeresaKander | Aug 20, 2014 |
I know those who love this and those who hate it. I'm somewhere in the middle. It was just ok for me. I could have done without a lot of the language. I know some who would probably love this type of story, but because of the language will never pick it up to read. I think my biggest problem with this is that when I reached the final pages, it just ended. I'm one who always needs everything wrapped up in a neat bow, and I just wanted a little bit more out of the story.

Anyway, I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Eleanor and Park is a story about two beautiful, broken, real teenagers meeting on a bus and falling in love. Park is the half-Korean guy with a tenuous hold on the okay side of the social ladder. Eleanor is the fat girl with bright red hair and weird clothing. They fall in love on the school bus by sharing comics.

Eleanor and Park isn't in the plot, it's in the characters and the language. Any description of what happens will ultimately stumble on the fact that the simple answer is not a lot. That doesn't matter. The beauty is in the words and the characters. Elanor is the most realistic broken awkward teen I've ever read. She'd got a life that's, to put it bluntly, shit. She has no money, no privacy, no freedom and nobody to fight her corner. She's frightened and fighting not to show it, defensive and sometimes cruel. Park is the different boy. The half-Korean trying to stay below the radar and find out where he falls in relation to the idea of American manhood. There are beautiful descriptions of their thoughts and of their touches. But, really, it's all in the characters. ( )
  TPauSilver | Aug 17, 2014 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry - and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

28 wanted3 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,340,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible