Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park (edition 2013)

by Rainbow Rowell

Member:dianestm
Title:Eleanor & Park
Authors:Rainbow Rowell
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013, Fiction, Romance

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

George by Alex Gino (Othemts)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these emotionally intense realistic fiction novels are set in the recent past, and feature misfit protagonists working through the agonies and ecstasies of first love, friendship, and surviving high school.
    I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan (bluenotebookonline)

English (393)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All (396)
WONDERFUL! Rainbow Rowell has moved up onto the list of my favorite authors! ( )
  dingesa27 | Dec 6, 2016 |
This was required reading for all students in my daughter's high school so I figured I would read it also. It wasn't a bad book. Your typical young adult love story. Must say that I don't really understand why the school chose this book. Nothing exceptional happens in the book. The guy has a normal family but feels out of place because he is Asian. The girl is poor and living in a bad situation with a step father who is bad news. The love story is nice and seems realistic.

SPOILER ALERT: I did have some questions though. Who threw her clothes in the toilet? Was that suppose to be the step father also? ( )
  KamGeb | Dec 4, 2016 |
Never would I have expected that ending, I mean all the signs were there but I WANTED to be blind to them. :'(

Still, an AMAZING read, I want to pick it up and read this bittersweet tale again ( )
  bubblyair | Nov 24, 2016 |
This book is a very typical teen romance set in the 1980s with some atypical twists. You can probably guess the main characters based on the title. Park is a quiet music and comic lover who has a Korean mother and a tough but loving father. Eleanor is a quirky red-head who spent the past year living with friends of her mother after being kicked out of her house and has now come back to live with her mother, siblings, and abusive stepfather. This might be a tough story for teens who have experienced abuse or bullying, but it's told with a rather upbeat tone that might actually make the subject matter easier to deal with. There is some language and sexual content that would keep me from recommending this to a younger teen, but the reading level seems fairly simple and easy to comprehend. I'm sure there are lists out there, but I would like to see a list of all the pop culture references made in this book. I bet the accompanying soundtrack would be rad. Audio-Overdrive ( )
  aurorapaigem | Nov 23, 2016 |
I won't say a lot about this book because I think you should stop reading my review right now and go read it. But I will say that it's a rare book that has you wiping away tears at the end because it is just so beautiful in a touching and sweet way. It's one of those hybrid young adult/adult books and a quick read, but my hope is that like me, you'll fall in love with the characters and bask in the post-reading glow of this book. ( )
  penguinasana | Nov 21, 2016 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry -
and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.
He loved how much they loved each other. It was the thing he thought about when he woke up scared in the middle of the night. Not that they loved him -- they were his parents, they had to love him. That they loved each other. They didn't have to do that.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,780,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible