Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park (edition 2013)

by Rainbow Rowell

Member:dianestm
Title:Eleanor & Park
Authors:Rainbow Rowell
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013, Fiction, Romance

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

George by Alex Gino (Othemts)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these emotionally intense realistic fiction novels are set in the recent past, and feature misfit protagonists working through the agonies and ecstasies of first love, friendship, and surviving high school.
    I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan (bluenotebookonline)

English (402)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All (405)
Very good book. Accurately shows high school struggles. ( )
  kemilyh1988 | Jan 16, 2017 |
Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell
I don't know what happened to me regarding this one. I loved Park, I loved Eleanor, I loved their bus rides, and I loved their love. I caught myself going "awww" so many times, it was embarrassing. I loved Park's family and I hated Eleanor's. Everything was there for me to LOVE this book, and yet, I only liked it.

It was all great for me until the last pages, where someone pressed the fast forward button. It's not that I didn't like what happens, it's just that it felt too rushed, like the author was running out of pages and decided to wrap it up with "so, you know, stuff happens, blah blah blah, the end". Although now that I think about it, I also didn't like what happens, it felt unnecessary and a little out of character.

So, for me, everything was great for most of the book and I really enjoyed reading it. It's a nice, sweet story, with two adorable kids who fall in love for the first time and decide to face whatever happens.

[I'm counting this one for the letter "E" in the 2014 Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge]

What's it about (from Goodreads):
Two misfits.
One extraordinary love.Eleanor... Red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind him until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber and flatter and never good enough...Eleanor.
Park... He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she ever gets to the punch line. There's a place on his chest, just below his throat, that makes her want to keep promises...Park.
Set over the course of one school year, this is the story of two star-crossed sixteen-year-olds—smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. ( )
  Danyspike | Jan 14, 2017 |
If you enjoyed The Fault in our Stars by John Green, you will want to read this book.
Set in a high school in Nebraska, Eleanor and Park, come from completely different home settings and situations.

The weird new girl gets on the bus and no one will allow her a seat until Park tells her to just ****** sit down. This is sixteen year old Eleanor. The cute Asian guy is sixteen year old Park.

When Eleanor starts reading his comic books over his shoulder so to speak, on the bus ride to school, Park notices and begins to share his world with her. Eleanor's clothes are oddball and she is continuously and mercilessly bullied by kids on the bus and at school. nicknames: Big Red (she is overweight and even her stepdad calls her names for this fact) Ronald McDonald, Wendy due to her mass of curly red hair.

Eleanor has a lot of challenges. She's growing up in a house, filled with her five younger brothers and sisters, nonsupporting mother who is terrified of her angry second husband, Richie. She shares a bedroom with 3 siblings. Eleanor takes a bath in the afternoon behind a sheet before her stepfather comes home. Richie is an alcoholic and he's angry and ready to take it out physically on anyone close by especially Eleanor's mother.

Park lives in a totally different world world of knickknacks and Avon products. His father is head over heels in love with his Asian bride who is a beautician. Park and his father are not without their struggles. His father wants him to be more like brother Scott, who is big and tough although he is younger than Park.

This is a story of a girl who is about to find out she is loved unconditionally for being exactly who she is. This is the story about the magic of the human heart.

This is the story of two characters that will stay with you long after you close the book. I felt as I were hanging by a thread the whole way though the more than 300 pages of the book concerning the relationship between Eleanor and Park. It didn't end as I thought or hoped.

This is one to not miss.

jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
I truly enjoyed this YA novel - a love story between 2 teenagers finding their true innerselves. It gave you a look into the lives of those being bullied, but not your typical "I will overcome it" kind of story. More of an acceptance of it and getting through life in spite of it. I wanted a different ending, but that just would have been sappy and so unlike Eleanor and Park. They are far from a sappy couple so I guess it ended how it should have. ( )
  lynnski723 | Dec 31, 2016 |
Loved this story. Fit to so many of the frustrations of the age. Without spoiling, I wish there was more at end. Wanted to know more about little kids. ( )
  writer.stephanie | Dec 27, 2016 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry -
and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.
He loved how much they loved each other. It was the thing he thought about when he woke up scared in the middle of the night. Not that they loved him -- they were his parents, they had to love him. That they loved each other. They didn't have to do that.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,678,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible