Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park (edition 2013)

by Rainbow Rowell

Member:dianestm
Title:Eleanor & Park
Authors:Rainbow Rowell
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013, Fiction, Romance

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these emotionally intense realistic fiction novels are set in the recent past, and feature misfit protagonists working through the agonies and ecstasies of first love, friendship, and surviving high school.
    I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan (bluenotebookonline)

English (378)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (381)
Lovely and heartbreaking... Just like love in high school always is in reality :( ( )
  KnivesBoone | Jul 29, 2016 |
Rowell manages to capture the uncertainties and overwhelming nature of young love in this novel starring Eleanor and Park (bet you didn’t guess that!). The constantly switching points of view draw you in and let you fully experience the romance. She brings to life various social issues that many people have to deal with and aren’t often included in novels, especially all at once (even though they represent the reality for many), such as poverty, domestic abuse and racism. Rowell proves herself a mastermind at writing deep, complex and unique teenage characters that you will feel like you genuinely know. A great read for fans of contemporary(ish) YA and feels.

The above is just my short summary. My full review can be found here: https://danireviewsthings.wordpress.com/2015/05/28/eleanor-park-by-rainbow-rowell/ ( )
  dani_reviews | Jul 22, 2016 |
The first thing I want to say about this book was that I LOVED it! When I first started my blog in September, one of the main authors I kept seeing on everyone else's blogs was Rainbow Rowell. Everyone seemed to love all of her books. I finally read my first one and I can now say that I get why! I love that the book was divided between Park and Eleanor's POVs. It was fun to be able to see both sides of the story. This story was funny and sweet with flashes of darkness thanks to Eleanor's evil stepfather. Everything about this felt real and I completely fell in love with Eleanor & Park, individually and as a couple. I will definitely be reading this book again in the future and recommending it to my friends and family. I can't wait to read another book by Rowell! ( )
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
2014 Honor Odyssey Award. Set in the course of one year, in 1986, this is a story of a first love that is very relatable. However, a star crossed misfit story has been controversial because of the love real life theme.
  JimStork | Jul 21, 2016 |
Eleanor is new and quickly is considered the easy target on the school bus. Park has lived in the same town forever. When they become seat-mates on the bus neither of them are happy about it, but they gradually become enmeshed in one another's lives. This story allows a peak into two very different lives and how first love is powerful. ( )
  bradfordtam | Jul 21, 2016 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry -
and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.
He loved how much they loved each other. It was the thing he thought about when he woke up scared in the middle of the night. Not that they loved him -- they were his parents, they had to love him. That they loved each other. They didn't have to do that.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,626,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible