Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park (edition 2013)

by Rainbow Rowell

Member:dianestm
Title:Eleanor & Park
Authors:Rainbow Rowell
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013, Fiction, Romance

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

English (223)  Spanish (2)  All languages (225)
Gr 9-Up, Eleanor just moved to town, and being the new kid is never easy, especially when you have bright red hair, and eccentric style even for the 1980s. Park is nervous that this new girl is about to sit down next to him on the bus. She does. This is a story about friendship, love, and hard times. Eleanor and Park’s love for each other evolves over time, all starting with their love of comics and alternative 80s music. Eleanor’s home life is the furthest thing from great, but she has Park. When things get out of control at home, their love for each other is truly tested. This is a story about first love, told in two narratives of both Eleanor and Park creating characters and a story with depth. A must read for anyone who is fond of YA romance. ( )
  foresterk | Nov 19, 2014 |
When Eleanor first sat with Park on the bus, it didn't seem they could ever be friends, let alone more. But as they share comics, music, and insecurities, what grows between them is very real. Eleanor is still bullied and judged for her unique fashion style, but Park would do anything for her, and she starts to see hope as she spends time with his family, and realizes that she can get away from hers when she needs to. It's a readable story of substance, about love that can't not last forever.

AR level: 3.8 UG
Lexile: HL580
Recommended for: teens, young adults ( )
  liblb | Nov 19, 2014 |
Told in alternating voices: Eleanor's and Parks, this budding friendship turns into a believable teen angst-ridden romance. But the genuine voices of both characters lift it up beyond a maudlin level - both of these young people are complex, quirky, alternating between brave and self-doubting moves. The adults in the story - thankfully- are also more realistic and rounded characters than many in teen fiction. The author gradually lets us in on both teens' family life, with all the desperate neglect and poverty of Eleanor's home and the much more middle- class, happily married parents of Park's home. The emerging details of Eleanor's predicament : a casual, distracted real dad who rarely sees his children; her worn, fragile mom who makes the best of her new marriage in spite of all its inherent dangers and trauma for her five children; an ominous, routinely drunk step dad whose every mood and preference must be appeased. Eleanor struggles to allow Park to see the realities of her life, endures the bullying of the obligatory mean girls at school, and she totally won me over with her chin up, persevering spirit- Eleanor doesn't complain - she's deals with her difficulties without self pity, & heartbreaking maturity. And Park's growing love for her seems that much more RIGHT. Readers who loved John Green's The Fault in Our Stars will appreciate this story!! Hoping Rainbow Rowell has more stories like these - our teen readers need them . Serious issues (bullying, casual drug/ drinking, abuse) and sexual content definitely require more mature readers. ( )
  BDartnall | Nov 15, 2014 |
I don't know how I could have forgotten to write a review for this one!

I absolutely LOVED this book! I am definitely going out and buying my own copy of this one. This was a sweet, heart-felt story. This was right up there with The Perks of Being a Wallflower and The Fault in Our Stars for me! Beautiful story! It was one I definitely will read again! Wonderfully done! ( )
  chellebuck79 | Nov 6, 2014 |
I picked this book as part of my Uni course as we had to read a book that was on the banded list. After reading the uproar this book created I wasn't sure what to expect, but my surprise and delight Eleanor & Park turned out to be one of the best books I have read this year. It staggers me that there are people our there that feel the story that this book tells needs to be censored I don't understand it. This book is beautifully written and I encouraged my 14 year old son to also read it as it covers in a delicate way issues that he and his mates could or need to face in the future. The only criticism I have is the ending I needed more to tie everything up nicely, but that may be just my thing. ( )
  RettaRyan | Oct 31, 2014 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry - and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

28 wanted3 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,918,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible