Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park (edition 2013)

by Rainbow Rowell

Member:dianestm
Title:Eleanor & Park
Authors:Rainbow Rowell
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013, Fiction, Romance

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

English (262)  Spanish (1)  All languages (263)
Eleanor and Park are two ordinary teenagers. They suffer from the same doubts and insecurities, bullies, cliques, high school drama, and family angst that so many other teens experience throughout their lives. They have no hidden talents or special powers. There is no magic or supernatural forces at work. However, it is their very ordinariness that makes Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell so extraordinary.

Both Park and Eleanor have the misfortune of attending high school before grunge became popular, before it became okay to be quirky and different, before geekiness was cool. This means that Park’s love of punk bands, and Eleanor’s odd manner of dress and aloofness cause them both to be on the fringes of high school society. As so often occurs in such novels, they only start a relationship grudgingly because of forced proximity than through any instant attraction or long-standing friendship. The rest of the story follows a similar path in that boy and girl experience the pull of first love, encounter difficulties, and must make some tough decisions that put their relationship in jeopardy.

Set in nondescript Omaha in the 1980s, there is a nostalgic factor that still remains true to life. The importance of the Walkman and its profound ability to discover and share new music, the burgeoning punk rock movement with its strange clothes and even stranger music – all of this plays a huge factor in Park’s and Eleanor’s lives as they fight the mainstream in high school and seek to establish their own identities in the middle of midwestern suburbia.

What makes Eleanor and Park so special is the believability of their story. Park struggles with fitting in, with how others may perceive his relationship with Eleanor, with wanting to please his parents but also with wanting to explore the independence that comes with getting older. He is far from perfect and knows it, and as long as that does not cause him any major issues on the bus or at school, he is okay with life on the fringes. His confusion about his feelings is poignant and familiar to readers, as we have all had to determine what was most important to us in any relationship but at no time is this more confusing than with a first relationship.

Eleanor’s story is the more tragic of the two, but that makes her no less believable. In fact, while a reader might never experience Eleanor’s poverty level or tragic family history, Ms. Rowell makes her so utterly sympathetic and real that one immediately feels empathy for her. This connection serves to heighten the story’s ominous progress towards an uncertain future and potential unhappy ending. It also serves to emphasize the ordeal of Eleanor’s life.

The writing in Eleanor and Park is truly spectacular. Ms. Rowell actively engages the reader by making them piece together the puzzle of Eleanor’s past and present circumstances. She does not spoon-feed readers any portion of the story but reminds them that falling in love is not all roses. More importantly, she makes this story of first love believably compelling.
  jmchshannon | Apr 14, 2015 |
This was a great book and children who live in difficult situations will empathize with Eleanor. It is great to teach students to be less judgemental about appearance and more accepting of new people.
  RachelSchillreff | Apr 13, 2015 |
Good YA book! I listened to it on Audible and loved the dual narrators for each part. I wonder if the author will write a sequel, because the ending made me want more! ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry - and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.
He loved how much they loved each other. It was the thing he thought about when he woke up scared in the middle of the night. Not that they loved him -- they were his parents, they had to love him. That they loved each other. They didn't have to do that.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

28 wanted4 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,563,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible