Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor & Park (edition 2013)

by Rainbow Rowell

Member:dianestm
Title:Eleanor & Park
Authors:Rainbow Rowell
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2013, Fiction, Romance

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

George by Alex Gino (Othemts)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these emotionally intense realistic fiction novels are set in the recent past, and feature misfit protagonists working through the agonies and ecstasies of first love, friendship, and surviving high school.
    I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan (bluenotebookonline)

English (403)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All (407)
I never knew that a scene of two people holding hands, could make me feel so much. This has to be one of the sweetest, loveliest, heartbreaking, hopeful stories I've read.
I implore Rainbow Rowell to continue Eleanor and Park's story. I don't want to leave these characters yet. A mere 325 pages were not nearly enough. ( )
  BooksForTheLiving | Mar 20, 2017 |
The only reason I did not read this book in one go is because my life did not allow it. Really, really good read: loving is easy, living is truly hard.
  jwryn | Feb 27, 2017 |
Entiendo por qué ha gustado tanto esta novela, y lo comparto en parte. Está muy bien narrada (aunque en el último episodio se salta la cronología lineal que hay a lo largo de toda la novela), y los personajes se hacen querer, porque Eleanor me ha llegado un poco más hondo de lo habitual; llorar por ella no es algo que haga habitualmente, pero es que soy una sentimental xD
Y la relación amorosa tiene su sentido, da sus pasos, y no se convierte en la típica novela adolescente de "oh, los protagonistas tienen un enamoramiento fugaz y se aman eternamente".

Otra cosa que me ha encantado son las referencias. Eleanor haciendo mención a la Enterprise, o lo de la Fuerza; y una de las amigas de ella, haciendo mención a los combates de Rocky en cierto momento. (El tema de cómics no lo comento, que no lo tengo tan a mano.) No se puede negar que la autora vivió la época muy de cerca, y que esas cosas estaban en auge en esta época.
Y en cuanto caes en ello, te das cuenta de que lo estaban viviendo.

En fin, voy a releer mis pasajes preferidos, y a ver si puedo leer Fangirl, que creo que también me gustará :) ( )
  Owdormer | Feb 26, 2017 |
Really great story dealing with so many issues— what it's like to not be part of the in crowd, how everyone feels out of place as a teen, first love, being ashamed of your home life, being poor, being in an abusive home, being in a multicultural home and much more. I really enjoyed it. :) ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
I have never seen anything quite like “Eleanor & Park.” Rainbow Rowell’s first novel for young adults is a beautiful, haunting love story — but I have seen those. It’s set in 1986, and God knows I’ve seen that. There’s bullying, sibling rivalry, salvation through music and comics, a monstrous stepparent — and I know, we’ve seen all this stuff. But you’ve never seen “Eleanor & Park.” Its observational precision and richness make for very special reading.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, John Green (Mar 8, 2013)

I loved it - though the mood relies upon slow accretion which takes a while to fruit. Admit to finding the first third(ish) totally dull.

Rainbow Rowellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grlic, OlgaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowman, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malhotra, SunilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russell, HarrietCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Forest, Jade, Haven, and Jerry -
and everyone else in the back of the truck
He'd stopped trying to bring her back.
He loved how much they loved each other. It was the thing he thought about when he woke up scared in the middle of the night. Not that they loved him -- they were his parents, they had to love him. That they loved each other. They didn't have to do that.

"Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,186,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible