The Edge of Nowhere by Elizabeth George

The Edge of Nowhere (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Elizabeth George

1962460,038 (3.31)7
Member:roselady1
Title:The Edge of Nowhere
Authors:Elizabeth George
Info:Viking Juvenile (2012), Hardcover, 448 pages
Rating:***

The Edge of Nowhere by Elizabeth George (2012)

English (24)  Dutch (1)  All languages (25)
I have to agree with the folks who thought this wasn't the best teen or "tween" book. I am a HUGE fan of George's Inspecto Lynley books so picked this one up. I will read the sequel, but it definitely didn't have the same depth of character or plot that I'm used to. ( )
  randirousseau | Mar 28, 2014 |
Whilst this was one book that did keep me wanting to read more (I finished it in two days), it also left me feeling somewhat cheated. This is Elizabeth George's first delving into the teen market, and also my first George novel. The characters were interesting enough - well, Seth was interesting, anyhow, and Becca's problem - her hearing "whispers" of people's thoughts, is quite a nifty way to introduce a slightly paranormal element without going all-out weird, even if it didn't really help advance the plot at all. The set-up could have been better and the plot was rather weak - although this is more of a story about characters, rather than an actual plot. It is, as one reviewer pointed out, a story about trust and secrets. However, because George is noted for her thrillers, it cannot help but disappoint many of her readers. This is most certainly a teen DRAMA.

Becca is on the run and has been abandoned, in the isolated Whitby Island, Washington state. The novel starts with her mother more-or-less dumping her, and then disappearing for the remainder of the plot, not a trace to be seen (I can only assume she will turn up again later in the series, because that's a pretty loose thread to leave hanging). Suposedly, Becca is supposed to be entrusted into the care of her mother's friend - who has a badly timed heart attack just as Becca arrives. Luckily, Becca makes a few new aquantinces - meeting up with firstly an older lady named Diana, and then befriending a teenage boy, Seth. Soon she has found accommodation and is enrolled in school. It's then that we veer away from what I thought was the plot - which is to say, the storyline that started in the prologue and explained WHY her mother and her were on the run, but instead Becca finds herself caught up in a sort of whodunnit.

However, for all her fear of police finding out her identity, I could not understand why Becca did not just go to them and explain the situation - she need not mention who issue with being able to hear people's thoughts - all she needed to do was explain that she had overheard her stepfather admitting to killing someone, that he'd realised she'd overheard, and that her mother had panicked and whisked her away to the middle of nowhere. Everything she did just made things more difficult for herself, and the stepfather did not even show up again until the second to last page. I expect they're saving him for the sequel.

Not a bad read, and it WILL keep you guessing - although you probably won't be too concerned about who actually DID do it, I wasn't, as there is no build up or thrilling climax, and Becca's life is never at risk - merely her identity. But oh-so definitely just a set up for more. ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
gave up on this one... It was an Early Reviwers copy that I put off for ages, but even 70 pages into the story, I could find nothing I cared for. The writing felt stilted, the "mindreading" thing felt gimmicky, and the main character and her mother have some serious eating disorder issues. ( )
  emperatrix | Jun 16, 2013 |
A young adult novel by George, which appears to be the first of a series. Would be appropriate for the 10-13 year old age group, but is also entertaining for us older folks. The heroine has "aural" powers which have allowed her to uncover her stepfather's criminal activities and result in she and her mother fleeing, with Hannah/Becca being left on Wildebay Island alone and her teen adventures there. ( )
  CarterPJ | May 14, 2013 |
I had to force myself to finish this book. Elizabeth George may be a bestselling adult author, but the writing in this book was just awful--George has no idea how to write dialogue that actually sounds like a teenager is speaking. Her attempt at slang was cringe-worthy and her main antagonist, a snotty "mean girl", was so outrageously petty and small-minded that it was laughable. Even the "mystery" that drives the novel was a joke. I will not be reading the sequel. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 2, 2013 |
'Kun je horen wat ik denk, Becca King?'
Al wat ik heb gedaan, deed ik voor jou,
voor jou, mijn lieve; jou, mijn dochter,
die niets weet van eigen afkomst...

- William Shakespeare, The Tempest
Opgedragen aan Bob Mayer en Debbie Cavanaugh,
voor de adembenemende lessen in zowel vriendschap als waardering.
Voor Gail Tsukiyama, dierbare jongere zus,
die het idee voor dit verhaal heeft aangereikt.
Op de laatste dag van Hannah Armstrongs bestaan was alles eerst normaal.
Ik was twee toen ik bij mijn ouders kwam, en de enige herinneringen die ik van vóór mijn herinneringen aan heb hebzijn als dromen.
Maar vrees niet: het eiland is vol klanken,
Geluiden en geuren die vreugde geven, geen pijn.

'De storm'
William Shakespeare

The first young adult book by a #1 New York Times bestselling author

Whidbey Island may be only a ferry ride from Seattle, but it's a world apart. When Becca King arrives there, she doesn't suspect the island will become her home for the next four years. Put at risk by her ability to hear "whispers"--the thoughts of others--Becca is on the run from her stepfather, whose criminal activities she has discovered. Stranded and alone, Becca is soon befriended by Derric, a Ugandon orphan adopted by a local family; Seth, a kindhearted musician and high school dropout; Debbie, a recovering alcoholic who takes her in; and Diana, with whom Becca shares a mysterious psychic connection.

This compelling coming-of-age story, the first of an ongoing sequence of books set on Whidbey Island, has elements of mystery, the paranormal, and romance. Elizabeth George, bestselling author of the Inspector Lynley crime novels, brings her elegant style, intricate plotting, incisive characterization, and top-notch storytelling to her first book for teens.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:11 -0400)

When her mother abandons her on Whidbey Island, Washington, a fourteen-year-old girl with psychic abilities meets a Ugandan orphan with a secret.

41 wanted4 pay9 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Edge of Nowhere by Elizabeth George was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,342,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible