Guy Noir and the Straight Skinny by Garrison…

Guy Noir and the Straight Skinny

by Garrison Keillor

Here's what I learned while listening to this audio book: I only like Guy Noir in very small doses. The last hour or so I mostly just half-listened and tried to figure out what I'd be listening to next.

I've got [b:Pontoon: A Novel of Lake Wobegon|589819|Pontoon A Novel of Lake Wobegon|Garrison Keillor|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327944283s/589819.jpg|1055423] which I grabbed from Audible, too. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it much more since I'm a fan of Lake Wobegon stories. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
This book is hilarious and I laughed out loud numerous times. It's a great parody of noir and this is a recurring radio character of Garrison Keillor's put in print. If you need a good laugh, read this book.
  jeshakespeare | Mar 13, 2014 |
Guy Noir and the Straight Skinny by Garrison Keillor is silly and ridiculous. I picked it up because my wife and I can't help laughing at the author's Guy Noir stories on the radio show Prairie Home Companion. If you have the same problem, then you'll probably enjoy this book.

It's a caper involving a tape worm diet pill (!) and plenty of gangsters and pretty women and snapshots of our lives from a special bizarre angle lens. "She was tall and blonde, except she'd dyed the roots brunette, an original touch." Another's sensuous sighing into a phone was a "sussuration, like the wind in the silvery cottonwoods by a burbling brook flowing through the whispering prairie grasses by a long two-track road somewhere in Nebraska, not that I've been there myself but I read Willa Cather once when I was dating an English major named Leslye who was, in fact, from Lincoln, Nebraska, and I believe 'sussuration' was the word Willa used."

Guy's a private eye, of course, and clients often have unusual projects for him, like the one who had "finally finished reading Moby-Dick after ten years and had forgotten what the book was about and could I help?" There are plenty of noir (small n) descriptions, like the bad guy Bogus Brothers whose scarred faces looked like "they'd been pounding fence posts with their foreheads" and who smelled "like old gym socks sprayed with cheap cologne." There are bad puns ("Someday my prints will come"), and Keystone Kops interludes, like the romantic get-together ruined by Guy's overenthusiastic attempts to multitask while piloting a canoe. The author also manages to poke fun at Prairie Home Companion, which has been turned into a Spanish language show to boost the ratings, and himself, as the displaced host that Guy pities. Interspersed throughout are the show's trademark jabs at Minnesota, Minneapolis and St. Paul. It also finds room for many more references to farts and sex than you'd hear on the radio show.

If life seems somber at the moment, you might pick this one up and remind yourself how ridiculous we all are. ( )
4 vote jnwelch | Jun 6, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0143120816, Paperback)

Famous radio private eye Guy Noir leaps from A Prairie Home Companion to the page

On the 12th floor of the Acme Building, on a cold February day in St. Paul, Guy Noir looks down the barrel of a loaded revolver in the hands of geezer gangster Joey Roast Beef who is demanding to hear what lucrative scheme Guy is cooking up with stripper-turned-women's-studies-professor Naomi Fallopian. Everyone wants to know-Joey, Lieutenant McCafferty, reporter Gene Williker, Guy’s ex-girlfriend Sugar O'Toole, the despicable Larry B. Larry, the dreamboat Scarlett Anderson, Mr. Kress of the FDA–and Guy faces them one by one, as he and Naomi pursue a dream of earning gazillions by selling a surefire method of dramatic weight loss. In this whirlwind caper Guy faces danger, falls in love, and faces off with the capo del capo del grande primo capo Johnny Banana.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:33 -0400)

SHORT STORIES. GARRISON KEILLOR is America's favorite storyteller. For more than 30 years as the host of "A Prairie Home Companion", he has captivated millions of public radio listeners with his weekly "News from Lake Wobegon" monologues. Keillor is also the author of several books and a frequent contributor to national publications including "Time, The New Yorker", and "National Geographic", in addition to writing his own syndicated column. The radio series "Guy Noir" debuted on A Prairie Home Companion in 1995 and has been a regular part of the show ever since. A smart, witty spoof of the pulp fiction/film noir genre, it blends original comedy with riffs on current events and a lingering nostalgia for simpler times.… (more)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,918,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible