This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

This Is Not My Hat (2012)

by Jon Klassen

Series: My Hat (2)

What an interesting story! It's told from the perspective of the hat thief, and the audience experiences tension and dramatic irony as we see that his confidence may be displaced. Klassen draws animals in a way that is graphically simple and yet expressive (the amount of feeling in the big fish's slitted eyes!) and humorous. I also enjoy the beautiful underwater patterns of pants and rocks against the backdrop of the very black sea.

I've read reviews of this book and "I Want My Hat Back" that express Mrs. Lovejoy-style concern about the effect of the books' implied violence on children. Having worked with many, many children, I think that they will cheer the way that adult audiences did at the "Kill Bill" movies. The kids will also be fine.

Parents who are still concerned could read their children "We Found a Hat" instead, which is also very very good. ( )
  motorbuffalo | Jun 23, 2017 |
Such a good kids books.

Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
This book, like its predecessor, is brilliant and should be cherished for children to enjoy for years to come. I appreciate Klassen's ability to not underestimate the ability of a child's mind and often in the process tickles the mind of adults. ( )
  lpittman | May 2, 2017 |
Crime doesn't pay in this fish tale with beautiful illustrations and a very silly premise.
  jet6 | Apr 20, 2017 |
Summary- Story of a fish that stole a hat. He believes that he stole this hat fair and square and no one will catch him. Until he finds out that he is wrong and the rightful owner gets his hat back.

Critique of Genre- Fantasy, talking fishes.

Age- K-4th

Media- Digitally and Chinese Ink ( )
  DRhodes02 | Apr 19, 2017 |
For Will and Justin, again
This hat is not mine.

Lawson/LIB 428 desc. --The extraordinary, simple, yet extravagant illustration coupled with the sort of twist/mystery plotline in the book when the fish go out of sight make this book such a fun and amazign read for children. Children and adults will likely appreciate the amazing artwork and design in this story but it's a double threat with the fun/humorous storyline and loveable characterization as the little fish has stolen a big fish's hat and swims along sort of bragging about it unknowingly being chased by the big fish until they reach seaweed and dip behind it, and only the big fish emerges, leaving the reader to assume what happened to the other. This book is incredible and should not be missed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763655996, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Year 2012: Jon Klassen first surprised readers with his runaway best seller, I Want My Hat Back, and his follow-up, This Is Not My Hat is an inside out version that is even more fun. Not only did Klassen go with a dark color scheme where the last was light, the action takes place underwater with much of the story told through the expressive illustrations of sea creatures. From the little fish who steals a bowler hat to the crab who sells him out with eyeballs pointing the way, there are lots of laughs along with lessons. This time Klassen created an ambiguous ending that invites lively conversation about the possible outcomes and ultimately leaves it up to the child to decide the little fish's fate with every reading. --Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

A tiny minnow wearing a pale blue bowler hat has a thing or two up his fins in this underwater light-on-dark chase scene.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,221,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible