This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

This Is Not My Hat (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (2)

1,0161968,374 (4.28)20
Member:floating_lush
Title:This Is Not My Hat
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:read 2012, picture book, 50/50 challenge 2012

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen (2012)

Great book for questioning, predicting, and writing (finish the story how you think it should end)
  charity_thurman | Feb 11, 2016 |
I really like this book for a couple of reasons. Though a seemingly simple book, the themes and literary devices that one can teach from this book are vast. I really like how this book uses it’s illustration to add to the humor of the words. After a little fish steals a big fish’s hat, he believes the big fish will never figure out who stole the hat. The illustration that accompanies this page shows the big fish’s face turning from a wondering look to an accusatory stare. These humorous addition make the book captivating for all students, while still teaching them that stealing, and trying to justify your faults is wrong.
I also really love the cliff-hanger ending. These endings are not often found in a book geared for a younger audience. I think that this book really makes both students and adults wonder if the little fish was eaten, or if the big fish simply retrieved his hat. ( )
  CathiRussell | Feb 9, 2016 |
In this book, a small fish steals a hat from a large fish and is determined that he will get away with it. In the end, the large fish gets his hat back and the whereabouts of the small fish is unknown. This is a rather short book with few words per page, however it may be beneficial for early readers or ELL students as the vocabulary is simple and the text is plain and clear to see.

Genre: fantasy
This book qualifies as a fantasy because the fish has human-like, unrealistic abilities such as speaking and stealing another fish's hat. ( )
  Lucymae | Feb 8, 2016 |
I had mixed feelings about this book after reading it. I liked the book because of its theme. I think teaching students that stealing is wrong is a great theme. I believe this is a good lesson to teach your students because life lessons are also important to teach children. I do not believe that every lesson you teach your students should be academic. I liked the fact that throughout the book the little fish thought that he would get away with stealing the big fish's hat. Eventually it was proven that the little fish was wrong. I enjoyed this because if a child were to steal they might think that they would get away with it since it would be so hard to get caught. This book showed that even though it would be hard to get caught, you can still get caught. I also liked how the author wrote this book in first person with the little fish. Having the little fish be the narrator of the story helped portray the theme. Since he was the thief in this book you can understand his thoughts and actions. For example, we knew the reason why he stole it being that he thought the hat was a better fit on him. We also discovered his whole thought process while he stole it, and while he was trying to get away.

I did not like this book because I feel like the theme was not demonstrated or explained enough. The theme was not demonstrated enough because the majority of the book was the little fish committing the crime and running away. Only one page in this book did not show the act of stealing. I believe some children might not understand the ending of this book, which would make them not understand the whole theme itself. Since the book ended with the big fish wearing the hat, it is inferred that the big fish ate the little fish in order to get his hat back. Some students might not understand what that page meant because the theme was not explained enough. Also, another reason why I dislike this book is because the ending can give off the impression that if somebody steals something from you, you should be violent to get it back. ( )
  bferna5 | Feb 8, 2016 |
Genre: Fantasy
Summary: A little fish steals a hat from a big fish. The book is in constant irony because the little fish is saying how he covered his tracks, however the big fish is always right behind him. This book is short and has multiple pages where there is no words at all. This book is a fantasy because it is talking about fish wearing hats and that is impossible. It is also personifying the fish like they are humans.
  alewis14 | Feb 3, 2016 |
For Will and Justin, again
This hat is not mine.

Lawson/LIB 428 desc. --The extraordinary, simple, yet extravagant illustration coupled with the sort of twist/mystery plotline in the book when the fish go out of sight make this book such a fun and amazign read for children. Children and adults will likely appreciate the amazing artwork and design in this story but it's a double threat with the fun/humorous storyline and loveable characterization as the little fish has stolen a big fish's hat and swims along sort of bragging about it unknowingly being chased by the big fish until they reach seaweed and dip behind it, and only the big fish emerges, leaving the reader to assume what happened to the other. This book is incredible and should not be missed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763655996, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Year 2012: Jon Klassen first surprised readers with his runaway best seller, I Want My Hat Back, and his follow-up, This Is Not My Hat is an inside out version that is even more fun. Not only did Klassen go with a dark color scheme where the last was light, the action takes place underwater with much of the story told through the expressive illustrations of sea creatures. From the little fish who steals a bowler hat to the crab who sells him out with eyeballs pointing the way, there are lots of laughs along with lessons. This time Klassen created an ambiguous ending that invites lively conversation about the possible outcomes and ultimately leaves it up to the child to decide the little fish's fate with every reading. --Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

A tiny minnow wearing a pale blue bowler hat has a thing or two up his fins in this underwater light-on-dark chase scene.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,152,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible