This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

This Is Not My Hat (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (2)

Member:floating_lush
Title:This Is Not My Hat
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:read 2012, picture book, 50/50 challenge 2012

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen (2012)

Summary:
This is a story about a small fish who decides to steal a larger fish's hat. The small fish knows that stealing is wrong, but thinks that the larger fish couldn't possibly find him and the hat! As the little fish swims further away, he fails to notice that the larger fish is close by. The end of the story is portrayed only through pictures, where the big fish ultimately gets his hat back.
Personal Reaction:
This story reminded me of a recent event with one of the kids I work with. If I had this book handy, it would have been a great tie in too doing what is right, even if we really want something.
Extension Ideas:
1. For an afternoon of reading fun, have a hat day!
2. Draw your big blue ocean, with lots of plants.
3. Play a game of hide-and-seek, to mimic the big fish finding the smaller fish.
  alexis.smith | Jul 10, 2014 |
This is not my hat is about a tiny fish who steals a hat from a much bigger fish. The small fish is sure he has gotten away with stealing the hat, and that the bigger fish will never find him. Well, he is wrong. The big fish finds him, and gets his hat back. This book is a wonderful way to talk to kids about taking things from other people. You can talk about how they think the bigger fish feels to have something taken from him, and whether the small fish was right or wrong. I also love the openness of the ending. This gives the chance to talk to kids and ask what they think happened to the little fish at the end!
  KayleighAdamsRossi | Jun 30, 2014 |
Maybe a bit disconcerting for younger children, this story focuses on the plight of a little fish in a bigger fish's pool. Humorously dark, there is a bit of a mystery at the conclusion of the story, but kids might not like the solution when they figure it out. Reminiscent of Eric Carle's painted and cut paper images the darkness of the undersea world is vibrant, yet a perfect way to camouflage the mysteries of the deep. Not my favorite book, but those who appreciate a not-so-happy ending will enjoy the little, self-absorbed fish's untimely end. ( )
  MzzColby | Jun 25, 2014 |
A quick classic. The art is great, subtle yet engaging. The personalities of each character are easy to vocalize when reading and the conclusion is left open for the listeners to decide. Storytimers laugh it up, shriek it up, and DISCUSS it up! when talking about what might have happened.

Great for preschoolers +, the ambiguous ending, done without words, makes it hard for younger audiences...
  sacnate | Jun 20, 2014 |
This cute picture book tells the story of a little fish that took another fish's hat. The little fish tries to hide and keep the hat.
  laurlou | Jun 9, 2014 |
For Will and Justin, again
This hat is not mine.

Lawson/LIB 428 desc. --The extraordinary, simple, yet extravagant illustration coupled with the sort of twist/mystery plotline in the book when the fish go out of sight make this book such a fun and amazign read for children. Children and adults will likely appreciate the amazing artwork and design in this story but it's a double threat with the fun/humorous storyline and loveable characterization as the little fish has stolen a big fish's hat and swims along sort of bragging about it unknowingly being chased by the big fish until they reach seaweed and dip behind it, and only the big fish emerges, leaving the reader to assume what happened to the other. This book is incredible and should not be missed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763655996, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Year 2012: Jon Klassen first surprised readers with his runaway best seller, I Want My Hat Back, and his follow-up, This Is Not My Hat is an inside out version that is even more fun. Not only did Klassen go with a dark color scheme where the last was light, the action takes place underwater with much of the story told through the expressive illustrations of sea creatures. From the little fish who steals a bowler hat to the crab who sells him out with eyeballs pointing the way, there are lots of laughs along with lessons. This time Klassen created an ambiguous ending that invites lively conversation about the possible outcomes and ultimately leaves it up to the child to decide the little fish's fate with every reading. --Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:04 -0400)

A tiny minnow wearing a pale blue bowler hat has a thing or two up his fins in this underwater light-on-dark chase scene.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,655,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible