This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

This Is Not My Hat (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (2)

Member:floating_lush
Title:This Is Not My Hat
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:read 2012, picture book, 50/50 challenge 2012

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen (2012)

This book can promote a conversation about taking things from others. Although we may not get caught, is it worth it? How about the big fish's feelings? ( )
  ekrynen | Nov 23, 2014 |
A little fish steals a hat from a big fish and works hard to convince the reader that it was OK to steal the hat and that the big fish will never find him when he hides where the "plants grow close together". Told through the illustration as much a the words, the reader is able to see the expression of the big fish and the crab who watches the event unfold.
  ryckecraw | Nov 21, 2014 |
I am coming to really love Klassen work, my students loved when the small fish disappeared because the All knew what happened! "HE WAS DINNER!"
  alexanderkai | Nov 21, 2014 |
Here's another hat-stealing yarn from Jon Klassen, a follow-up to I Want My Hat Back. This time we hear the perspective of the thief, who boasts that he has stolen his hat from a big fish who was sleeping. He goes on to claim the fish won't wake up soon, as we see the hatless Big Fish waking up, annoyed. With each statement the thief's proclaims his expectation of getting away with it, and Big Fish shows us just how wrong he is. In the climax, the thief rationalizes his action: "I know it's wrong to steal a hat.... But I am going to keep it. It was too small for him anyway. It fits me just right." He reaches his hiding place, with Big Fish in close pursuit. They both go in. Only Big Fish comes out... wearing the hat. The end. It's up to the reader to determine whether the thief was eaten or merely intimidated by Big Fish.

If you reeeally stretch it, you can get a moral message out of it: "Crime Doesn't Pay." Or maybe, "Don't Pick on Big Fish." But a moral lesson isn't the point. This another well-crafted, highly accessible object lesson in ironic humor: The thief repeatedly makes claims the reader knows are false, and our ability to be "in the know" makes the final confrontation utterly satisfying.

It's best suited to an elementary audience, although all ages will probably find it funny. The text is simple enough that early readers can probably handle it.
  eyelevelbooks | Nov 20, 2014 |
I love that the little fish was not really that apologetic about stealing the hat. She* just hopefully rationalized her way to the kelp forest. Indeed, my 6yo was all over that, "it fits the little fish better!" idea -- and when we actually got to that page in the book, where the little fish makes that same argument, my kid was like, "See, I told you!" As if she felt vindicated by the thieving little fish. I guess now I know where to look for missing apparel: In my kid's room, which does seem sort of jungle-like.

Let's just imagine that the little fish is too ashamed to come out of the plants, rather than imagining what else might have befallen her at the hands (fins, teeth) of the big fish. Oops, spoiler.

* By the way, reviewers, the first-person fish is not gendered in the text, just in the publisher's blurb. And you know you can't trust those. ( )
  lquilter | Oct 2, 2014 |
For Will and Justin, again
This hat is not mine.

Lawson/LIB 428 desc. --The extraordinary, simple, yet extravagant illustration coupled with the sort of twist/mystery plotline in the book when the fish go out of sight make this book such a fun and amazign read for children. Children and adults will likely appreciate the amazing artwork and design in this story but it's a double threat with the fun/humorous storyline and loveable characterization as the little fish has stolen a big fish's hat and swims along sort of bragging about it unknowingly being chased by the big fish until they reach seaweed and dip behind it, and only the big fish emerges, leaving the reader to assume what happened to the other. This book is incredible and should not be missed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763655996, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Year 2012: Jon Klassen first surprised readers with his runaway best seller, I Want My Hat Back, and his follow-up, This Is Not My Hat is an inside out version that is even more fun. Not only did Klassen go with a dark color scheme where the last was light, the action takes place underwater with much of the story told through the expressive illustrations of sea creatures. From the little fish who steals a bowler hat to the crab who sells him out with eyeballs pointing the way, there are lots of laughs along with lessons. This time Klassen created an ambiguous ending that invites lively conversation about the possible outcomes and ultimately leaves it up to the child to decide the little fish's fate with every reading. --Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:04 -0400)

A tiny minnow wearing a pale blue bowler hat has a thing or two up his fins in this underwater light-on-dark chase scene.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,015,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible