This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

This Is Not My Hat (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (2)

Member:floating_lush
Title:This Is Not My Hat
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:read 2012, picture book, 50/50 challenge 2012

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen (2012)

This book is about stealing, a little fish steals from a big fish, and the consequences. The little fish acts confident about getting away, and justifies his actions. The little fishes confidence turns out to be misplaced in the end. This book is about learning not to steal.
  jh33 | Dec 13, 2014 |
Summary: A little fish steals a big fish's hat and swims away to hide where the plants are big and close together. All the while, he is narrating how he knows he will get away with it; it seems like he is trying to reassure himself. But at the end, the big fish gets his hat back, and he may or may not have eaten the little fish in the process.

Review: This book is a Caldecott winner, and it is easy to see why; the illustrations are wonderful. They are vaguely reminiscent of Eric Carle's style of illustration, but with more realistic colors. What I particularly love about the illustrations is that they tell just as much of the story as the text does. Everything that the little fish says, every reason that he gives for why he will get away with stealing the hat, is proven wrong by the illustration that accompanies each reason. It creates a wonderful sense of dramatic irony throughout the book. I absolutely love this book; even though it teaches a lesson, it does so in a wonderfully amusing way that is not at all preachy. The language is simple, as are the illustrations, but this simplicity just adds to the charm of the story. A wonderful, wonderful book.

Central Idea of This Is Not My Hat: Stealing is wrong, and if you do wrong, it will come back around to you, no matter how sure you are you can get away with it. ( )
  jlampr1 | Dec 9, 2014 |
I love this book because it teaches children about the natural consequences of stealing without being overtly strict or harsh. Klassen has some of the most wonderful minimalist art I have seen as of late, and I love his brisk, straightforward dialogue. Overall, its a great book that teaches you how dangerous it is to steal. ( )
  kberryman44 | Dec 6, 2014 |
Jon has quickly become a favorite author/ illustrator of mine. I love the simplicity of the artwork and stories. They are easy to follow and have subtle humor kids would love! The little tattle tale crab in this book is my absolute favorite! (Side note, I have actually ordered a print of that page to hang in my house I was so in love with him!) I adore the ending of this book when you have to assume what has happened to the little fish when the big fish gets his hat back. I will be keeping an eye on this wonderful author. ( )
  InstantLaila | Dec 6, 2014 |
A teeny tiny fish steals a hat from a big humongous fish just because he thinks the hat is too small for the big fish and is the perfect size for him. I thought this was a cute story that can definitely help teach children a lesson about stealing, to never do it! The illustrations of this book were very simple, but enjoyable. ( )
  K_Rodriguez | Nov 26, 2014 |
For Will and Justin, again
This hat is not mine.

Lawson/LIB 428 desc. --The extraordinary, simple, yet extravagant illustration coupled with the sort of twist/mystery plotline in the book when the fish go out of sight make this book such a fun and amazign read for children. Children and adults will likely appreciate the amazing artwork and design in this story but it's a double threat with the fun/humorous storyline and loveable characterization as the little fish has stolen a big fish's hat and swims along sort of bragging about it unknowingly being chased by the big fish until they reach seaweed and dip behind it, and only the big fish emerges, leaving the reader to assume what happened to the other. This book is incredible and should not be missed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763655996, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Year 2012: Jon Klassen first surprised readers with his runaway best seller, I Want My Hat Back, and his follow-up, This Is Not My Hat is an inside out version that is even more fun. Not only did Klassen go with a dark color scheme where the last was light, the action takes place underwater with much of the story told through the expressive illustrations of sea creatures. From the little fish who steals a bowler hat to the crab who sells him out with eyeballs pointing the way, there are lots of laughs along with lessons. This time Klassen created an ambiguous ending that invites lively conversation about the possible outcomes and ultimately leaves it up to the child to decide the little fish's fate with every reading. --Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:04 -0400)

A tiny minnow wearing a pale blue bowler hat has a thing or two up his fins in this underwater light-on-dark chase scene.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,397,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible