This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

This Is Not My Hat (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (2)

Member:floating_lush
Title:This Is Not My Hat
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:read 2012, picture book, 50/50 challenge 2012

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen (2012)

Summary:
“This is not my hat” starts out with a little fish talking about how he stole a hat from a big fish. The little fish then starts trying to make himself feel better about stealing the hat by telling himself that the fish wouldn’t know it was him that toke the hat and the big fish probably wouldn’t even know it was gone. The end of the book ends with an open line for the reader to interpret what happened to the little fish.
Personal Reaction:
I did not personally like this book. I believe the reason I did not like it is because of the stealing going against my moral code. While I could see there was a lot of humor as to why the little fish thought he would get away with stealing I do not believe this book is something I would read to my children.
Extensions:
1. I would begin by asking the children what happened to the fish at the end of the story
2. After they have answered, I will have the students illustrate a story with the ending to the book as they see it happening
  caitlynf | Feb 12, 2017 |
Summary: The little fish stole the big fish hat. The little fish knew it was wrong to steal the hat, but stole it anyways. The little fish thought since the big fish was sleeping and didn't know the little fish stole it he would get away with it. The little fish did not get away with stealing the hat though.

Personal Reaction: I liked this book as a lesson on not to steal. It would be a good to show students that no matter if they thought they could get away with it stealing is still not okay. Also, that they would not get away with it even if they thought no one saw them.
  BrittanyPatman | Feb 12, 2017 |
I LOVED this book! I thought it had a great humor! I thought it was wonderful that the illustrator was able to make such a statement through the pictures by mainly changing the eye of the big fish. I really liked that there was very few words on the page, because I feel that is helpful to young children so they are not overwhelmed. I also liked the mystery at the end of the book, it leaves you wondering if the little fish gave up the hat voluntarily, or if the big fish ate him... Such a cute book! ( )
  cedauzat | Feb 8, 2017 |
This book has an interesting plot. It is about a smaller fish who steals a hat from a much bigger fish. Even though he knows it is wrong, he thinks he will get away with it. His plan is to hide in plants that are "big and tall and close together!" This does not end well. The big fish finds him in the plants and takes his hat back. I feel like this book could have portrayed the importance of not stealing better. The smaller fish did not show any remorse nor did he suffer any consequences. Although I was not the biggest fan of the outcome, I did enjoy the simple illustrations and the writing style of the author. The illustrations were what gave the book humor. Although they were simple, the contrast from words to picture makes the reader make their own assumptions and predictions. I like how the author occasionally repeated the thought of the previous page. It can help young readers follow the sequence of the story. ( )
  rmwinter | Feb 6, 2017 |
'This Is Not My Hat' written and illustrated by Jon Klassen is a wonderful children's book that will make children laugh all along the way of reading it. This story is about a tiny fish who has stolen a hat from a big fish. The hat fits the tiny fish just right, and the tiny fish believes that as long as he can make it to the tall plants in the ocean who will never be found. Little does he know that the big fish is on his tail along the way. ( )
  Jennaroo82 | Feb 2, 2017 |
For Will and Justin, again
This hat is not mine.

Lawson/LIB 428 desc. --The extraordinary, simple, yet extravagant illustration coupled with the sort of twist/mystery plotline in the book when the fish go out of sight make this book such a fun and amazign read for children. Children and adults will likely appreciate the amazing artwork and design in this story but it's a double threat with the fun/humorous storyline and loveable characterization as the little fish has stolen a big fish's hat and swims along sort of bragging about it unknowingly being chased by the big fish until they reach seaweed and dip behind it, and only the big fish emerges, leaving the reader to assume what happened to the other. This book is incredible and should not be missed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763655996, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Year 2012: Jon Klassen first surprised readers with his runaway best seller, I Want My Hat Back, and his follow-up, This Is Not My Hat is an inside out version that is even more fun. Not only did Klassen go with a dark color scheme where the last was light, the action takes place underwater with much of the story told through the expressive illustrations of sea creatures. From the little fish who steals a bowler hat to the crab who sells him out with eyeballs pointing the way, there are lots of laughs along with lessons. This time Klassen created an ambiguous ending that invites lively conversation about the possible outcomes and ultimately leaves it up to the child to decide the little fish's fate with every reading. --Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

A tiny minnow wearing a pale blue bowler hat has a thing or two up his fins in this underwater light-on-dark chase scene.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,495,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible