This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

This Is Not My Hat (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (2)

1,0712037,805 (4.28)21
Member:floating_lush
Title:This Is Not My Hat
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:read 2012, picture book, 50/50 challenge 2012

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen (2012)

I reviewed this book and CD for School Library Journal in the July, 2014 issue. The following is reprinted with permission:

"PreS-Gr 3— Opening with "This hat is not mine. I just stole it," a small fish takes the listener into his confidence as he makes his getaway toward a place where he thinks that no one will ever find him. This unapologetic thief, his annoyed (and very large) victim, and a stool pigeon crab tell this wryly humorous and cautionary fish story. The outcome contains enough ambiguity that sensitive listeners can believe that the robber has more options than becoming a fish dinner. Irish narrator John Keating does a great job with a title that relies heavily on sight gags. Appropriately, his impudent robber is not particularly likable. Nevertheless, the listener empathizes with the brash little chap. A string ensemble, in a manner similar to Peter and the Wolf, accompanies the narration. A cello represents the larger fish, who never speaks, while a violin characterizes the smaller fish. The music ebbs and flows to match the story. Two versions are included on the CD. A gentle marimba riff signals page turns on the first version. The accompanying hardcover book is a "must" to truly enjoy this Caldecott Medal winner. Humor fans will love it."

http://shelf-employed.blogspot.com ( )
  shelf-employed | Apr 24, 2016 |
Genre: Fantasy
Review: "This is Not My Hat" is a story about a small fish who has stolen a hat from a bigger fish. The small fish believes the fish will not wake up, know he stole the hat, or be able to find him. The fish goes towards the tall plants where no one would be able to find him. At the end, the big fish swims away with the small hat on his head. I really enjoyed this book because of the text and illustrations. The text is saying one thing, but the illustrations are saying another. The fish says "He probably won't wake up for a while," and the illustration shows the big fish with his eyes open. This is a perfect example of using illustrations to tell a more complete story. This is a good fantasy book because it's about a fish who stole a hat from another fish, which they do not actually do. The fish are also capable of communicating with the reader.
Use: This book would be great to use to show how illustrations add more to the story. It can also be used to teach a life lesson: you should not steal.
Media: Digital ( )
  jbohall14 | Apr 13, 2016 |
A simple, silly story line, where a tiny fish is convinced his theft of a hat is untraceable. He is seen followed by the fish he stole it from through the whole book, then the big fish has his hat back. The artwork has a beautiful color scheme and style, I would recommend it to preschool and up. ( )
  murandapatanda | Mar 13, 2016 |
This is Not My Hat is a fun story of a small fish that happily took a hat from a much larger fish because he thought that it would look better on him. As he retreated towards the tall sea grass to hide, happily telling his tale, he was unaware that the larger fish had awoken and was following after him, helped along in his search by a scared little crab who pointed the way. ( )
  childrenslitpdx | Mar 13, 2016 |
This book is fun, entertaining, and incredibly humorous. It’s main message to not steal, its clever plot, illustrations, and language are only a few reasons why this book is exemplary.

The plot and accompanying illustrations are suspenseful and fun, following a fish who thinks he is getting away with a crime committed against someone who is definitely not his size. The plot is so brilliant because it follows the perspective small fish through text, yet the perspective of the large fish through illustration. For instance, while the fish tells us through words that he is confident he will get away with this crime, the large fish tells us through illustration that he is on to the thief. I especially like the page where the crab points the large fish in the direction of the small fish. The colors of the crab really pop on the page, and the facial expression of the large fish is subtle yet amusing.

The language is also a feature I enjoyed because of how clear it was. Its clarity provided a simplicity to the story that created an even more humorous tale. The words utilized were descriptive enough to get the point across, yet simple enough to not distract the reader from the illustrations, a feature that is so important to the tale. I especially like the scene where the fish describes, “And he probably won’t wake up for a long time,” even though the fish’s eyes are wide open.

This book is truly deserving of all its honors, as its plot, illustrations, and language set themselves apart from other children’s books. I will definitely be picking up more books by Jon Klassen! ( )
  GabrielleAmaro | Mar 7, 2016 |
For Will and Justin, again
This hat is not mine.

Lawson/LIB 428 desc. --The extraordinary, simple, yet extravagant illustration coupled with the sort of twist/mystery plotline in the book when the fish go out of sight make this book such a fun and amazign read for children. Children and adults will likely appreciate the amazing artwork and design in this story but it's a double threat with the fun/humorous storyline and loveable characterization as the little fish has stolen a big fish's hat and swims along sort of bragging about it unknowingly being chased by the big fish until they reach seaweed and dip behind it, and only the big fish emerges, leaving the reader to assume what happened to the other. This book is incredible and should not be missed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763655996, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Year 2012: Jon Klassen first surprised readers with his runaway best seller, I Want My Hat Back, and his follow-up, This Is Not My Hat is an inside out version that is even more fun. Not only did Klassen go with a dark color scheme where the last was light, the action takes place underwater with much of the story told through the expressive illustrations of sea creatures. From the little fish who steals a bowler hat to the crab who sells him out with eyeballs pointing the way, there are lots of laughs along with lessons. This time Klassen created an ambiguous ending that invites lively conversation about the possible outcomes and ultimately leaves it up to the child to decide the little fish's fate with every reading. --Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

A tiny minnow wearing a pale blue bowler hat has a thing or two up his fins in this underwater light-on-dark chase scene.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,956,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible