This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

This Is Not My Hat (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (2)

1,1922326,725 (4.31)22
Member:floating_lush
Title:This Is Not My Hat
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:read 2012, picture book, 50/50 challenge 2012

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen (2012)

a small fish stole a big fish's hat. he goes around and finally the big fish notices and looks for him. the big fish gets his hat back
very beautiful illustrations
4 books
  TUCC | Nov 18, 2016 |
This is Not My Hat is written and illustrated by Jon Klassen. It is book number 2 in the Hat Trilogy. The book opens up with a tiny fish wearing a little blue hat. Looks really cute on him. Then he advices the reader that it is not his hat and he stole it. The little fish is sure that no one will find him. But on the other end of the water, a big fish is on the hunt for his hat. The ending of this story is a fantastic way to get students to imagine what would happen in the story if there was one more page. And the ending can get more violent the older the reader is. ( )
  bwaresam | Nov 8, 2016 |
This book is about a fish who stole a hat from a bigger fish. This book is for younger students, early childhood through first grade. I would teach prediction and consequences using this book. ( )
  DinahW | Nov 7, 2016 |
An adorable story about a fish and his new hat that he stole.
  michebee | Nov 2, 2016 |
Headwear theft continues to be a problem in this second 'hat' book from Jon Klassen, whose humorous I Want My Hat Back was a welcome addition to the picture-book genre. In this tale, a tiny fish swims along, assuring the reader that although the hat he is wearing is not his - it belongs, in fact, to a much larger fish - all will be well. Little does he know, as he proceeds blithely along, that the true owner of the hat is hot on his trail...

Like its predecessor, This Is Not My Hat is an amusing book, relying in this case on the contradiction of text and image for much of the entertainment. Young children will enjoy spotting the disconnect between the little fish's optimistic appraisal of the situation, and the reality of the big fish following inexorably in his wake. The conclusion here mirrors that of the earlier book as well, as the clear implication is that the larger fish has swallowed the little one in the process of getting his hat back. The artwork, which netted Klassen a Caldecott Medal, is just lovely, utilizing a subtle color palette to create immensely expressive ocean characters. Recommended to anyone who is looking for humorous children's stories, as well as to anyone who enjoyed Klassen's first hat book. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Oct 27, 2016 |
For Will and Justin, again
This hat is not mine.

Lawson/LIB 428 desc. --The extraordinary, simple, yet extravagant illustration coupled with the sort of twist/mystery plotline in the book when the fish go out of sight make this book such a fun and amazign read for children. Children and adults will likely appreciate the amazing artwork and design in this story but it's a double threat with the fun/humorous storyline and loveable characterization as the little fish has stolen a big fish's hat and swims along sort of bragging about it unknowingly being chased by the big fish until they reach seaweed and dip behind it, and only the big fish emerges, leaving the reader to assume what happened to the other. This book is incredible and should not be missed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763655996, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Year 2012: Jon Klassen first surprised readers with his runaway best seller, I Want My Hat Back, and his follow-up, This Is Not My Hat is an inside out version that is even more fun. Not only did Klassen go with a dark color scheme where the last was light, the action takes place underwater with much of the story told through the expressive illustrations of sea creatures. From the little fish who steals a bowler hat to the crab who sells him out with eyeballs pointing the way, there are lots of laughs along with lessons. This time Klassen created an ambiguous ending that invites lively conversation about the possible outcomes and ultimately leaves it up to the child to decide the little fish's fate with every reading. --Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

A tiny minnow wearing a pale blue bowler hat has a thing or two up his fins in this underwater light-on-dark chase scene.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,655,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible