This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

This Is Not My Hat (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (2)

72012313,063 (4.28)14
Member:floating_lush
Title:This Is Not My Hat
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:read 2012, picture book, 50/50 challenge 2012

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen (2012)

I love that the little fish was not really that apologetic about stealing the hat. She* just hopefully rationalized her way to the kelp forest. Indeed, my 6yo was all over that, "it fits the little fish better!" idea -- and when we actually got to that page in the book, where the little fish makes that same argument, my kid was like, "See, I told you!" As if she felt vindicated by the thieving little fish. I guess now I know where to look for missing apparel: In my kid's room, which does seem sort of jungle-like.

Let's just imagine that the little fish is too ashamed to come out of the plants, rather than imagining what else might have befallen her at the hands (fins, teeth) of the big fish. Oops, spoiler.

* By the way, reviewers, the first-person fish is not gendered in the text, just in the publisher's blurb. And you know you can't trust those. ( )
  lquilter | Oct 2, 2014 |
I love this story of the little fish who steals the snazzy blue hat that fits him just right! And the hat's original owner will never find out...probably...

This winner of the 2013 Caldecott Medal has beautiful illustrations that in a simple manner evoke the wonders of the undersea world. My favorite illustration is the two-page spread that features just the sea of plants. This page builds such anticipation with no words; just simple, but brilliant! I also love the expressions on the big fish, as well as the crab, who made me laugh. I believe that a good picture book should heavily rely on the illustrations to tell the story, and Jon Klassen definitely is a winner in that regard!

I had my 11-year-old read this book, and I waited in anticipation for her expressions and review. Her wide-eyed gasp and "OH!" made my day. ( )
  stephanie.croaning | Sep 28, 2014 |
It was really a surprise to me when I read this book. I never expected such cute story with such a valuable lesson being taught. The main characters are two fish. A large fish who owns a hat and is sleeping and a small one who steals the hat and thinks he can get away with it. I really enjoyed the story because it is told in first person by the little fish, however, the reader gets a completely different point of view as the illustrations tell a different story. Very beautiful illustrations and a simple enjoyable book with an important lesson. ( )
  cvarela | Sep 27, 2014 |
I This is Not My Hat

I liked the story, This is Not My Hat, by Jon Klassen for two reasons. First, the cover and illustrations are done simply on a black background. This catches the readers attention. Second, the value or moral that is taught. There is a lesson about stealing. The Big fish teaches a lesson to the little fish in a comical way. The big idea in this story is karma. "What goes around, comes around." ( )
  JenniferEckley | Sep 18, 2014 |
Summary: This book was about a little fish who saw a big fish sleeping in the water. The little fish went up to the big fish and stole the hat off the big fish' head. The little fish swam away, thinking he was going to be able to hide and keep the hat from the big fish. The big fish woke up and started following the little fish. The book ends with the little fish going into some grass, the big fish finding him and taking his hat back.

Argument: I really enjoyed reading this book, primarily for the illustrations. The pictures in this book were beautifully done and really added to the story. Some pages didn't even have words, just pictures and the story was still easy to understand and entertaining. I thought this book had a comedic hint to it as well. It was funny that the little fish thought he was going to get away with stealing the hat from the big fish but that was not what actually happened. The message I got from this book was about stealing. This book would show a child that stealing is not a good thing and how the other person would feel if they did steal from them. ( )
  csteve13 | Sep 16, 2014 |
For Will and Justin, again
This hat is not mine.

Lawson/LIB 428 desc. --The extraordinary, simple, yet extravagant illustration coupled with the sort of twist/mystery plotline in the book when the fish go out of sight make this book such a fun and amazign read for children. Children and adults will likely appreciate the amazing artwork and design in this story but it's a double threat with the fun/humorous storyline and loveable characterization as the little fish has stolen a big fish's hat and swims along sort of bragging about it unknowingly being chased by the big fish until they reach seaweed and dip behind it, and only the big fish emerges, leaving the reader to assume what happened to the other. This book is incredible and should not be missed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763655996, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Year 2012: Jon Klassen first surprised readers with his runaway best seller, I Want My Hat Back, and his follow-up, This Is Not My Hat is an inside out version that is even more fun. Not only did Klassen go with a dark color scheme where the last was light, the action takes place underwater with much of the story told through the expressive illustrations of sea creatures. From the little fish who steals a bowler hat to the crab who sells him out with eyeballs pointing the way, there are lots of laughs along with lessons. This time Klassen created an ambiguous ending that invites lively conversation about the possible outcomes and ultimately leaves it up to the child to decide the little fish's fate with every reading. --Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:04 -0400)

A tiny minnow wearing a pale blue bowler hat has a thing or two up his fins in this underwater light-on-dark chase scene.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,336,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible