This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

This Is Not My Hat (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (2)

Title:This Is Not My Hat
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:funny, cut-outs, picture book, fish, contradictory illustrations, animals

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen (2012)

The theme of this book is stealing from one another. ( )
  kesteves | Sep 28, 2015 |
I really liked this book. The illustrations were very well drawn. The book was funny to me. The little fish thinks that he has gotten away with stealing the hat the whole book. Everytime he says something about getting away with his new hat there is a picture on the next page showing you that he has not. You get to see the reactions of both fish throughout the story. The ending is very unclear an open for interpretations. The book teaches students that taking something that isn't your may have consequences. ( )
  fmccas1 | Sep 22, 2015 |
A little fish has stolen a hat from big fish. Despite the small blue hat fitting the little fish perfectly, the hat is still not his. But the little fish does not really care . . . “It’s not like he’ll ever know what happened.” Once the big fish realizes its hat is gone, it goes looking for it through the seaweed. The book ends with the big fish swimming out of the seaweed with its hat on and the little fish isn’t seen again. I very much enjoyed this book because of its dark humor and straight to the point theme: do not take what is not yours. The story leaves an open end for the reader, inferring either the big fish simply took its hat back from the small fish, or the big fish ate the small fish AND took its hat back. This slightly twisted story forces there to be inferences made because the language is so simple; it is clearly meant to portray more meaning than what’s obvious. Readers can benefit from this experience by building thinking skills and practicing predictions. “It’s not like he’ll ever know what happened,” foreshadows the ending, however, the question remains; did the little fish get eaten or not? ( )
  EllieCoe | Sep 22, 2015 |
Summary: This is not my hat is a Caldecott medal award winner this story is about a small fish that took a bigger fish hat and thought he would get away with it

personal: I thought this book was good on illustration and I also thought it taught about stilling how it is not right and you will not get away with it.

extension: I will explain to the class that you can not take things that do not belong to you then we will color a fish and cut it out and make a tiny hat to go on the fish so the smaller fish will not have to take from others.
  aja_cc | Sep 21, 2015 |
This book was a hilarious and easy read. The drawings and color of the book were simple-mostly brown, green, grey and black, but it still can easily catch the reader's eyes. The language and dialogue was straight forward. While the dialogue was all the little fish's comments, the big fish shows emotions. The story starts off with one fish stealing a hat from another big fish. The big fish goes out to find the little fish with the hat and get his hat back, while the little fish thinks he can get away with stealing the hat. The ending of the book is open for discussion. This book teaches children that even if you can get away with something, does not always make it right. ( )
  AmellDubbaneh | Sep 21, 2015 |
For Will and Justin, again
This hat is not mine.

Lawson/LIB 428 desc. --The extraordinary, simple, yet extravagant illustration coupled with the sort of twist/mystery plotline in the book when the fish go out of sight make this book such a fun and amazign read for children. Children and adults will likely appreciate the amazing artwork and design in this story but it's a double threat with the fun/humorous storyline and loveable characterization as the little fish has stolen a big fish's hat and swims along sort of bragging about it unknowingly being chased by the big fish until they reach seaweed and dip behind it, and only the big fish emerges, leaving the reader to assume what happened to the other. This book is incredible and should not be missed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763655996, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Year 2012: Jon Klassen first surprised readers with his runaway best seller, I Want My Hat Back, and his follow-up, This Is Not My Hat is an inside out version that is even more fun. Not only did Klassen go with a dark color scheme where the last was light, the action takes place underwater with much of the story told through the expressive illustrations of sea creatures. From the little fish who steals a bowler hat to the crab who sells him out with eyeballs pointing the way, there are lots of laughs along with lessons. This time Klassen created an ambiguous ending that invites lively conversation about the possible outcomes and ultimately leaves it up to the child to decide the little fish's fate with every reading. --Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

A tiny minnow wearing a pale blue bowler hat has a thing or two up his fins in this underwater light-on-dark chase scene.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,815,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible