This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

This Is Not My Hat (edition 2012)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (2)

591None16,542 (4.32)13
Member:ejmeloche
Title:This Is Not My Hat
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:funny, cut-outs, picture book, fish, contradictory illustrations, animals

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

I love this story! It’s such an unusual departure from books for children in that it starts off with a character doing something wrong (stealing) and simply justifying it all the way through the book. The pictures are simple and fascinating and the end is open to interpretation. I would definitely buy this book for some of my friends’ children and am already looking for his other book to read . . . ( )
  mccooln | Apr 6, 2014 |
Jon Klassen is a genius. It is as simple as that. With very few words and simple illustrations Klassen is able to create a humorous tale about a fish who steals a tiny hat off a giant fish. As the thief fish makes his getaway he justifies his taking the hat. It didn’t fit the fish it was on, it really didn’t. The book also creates suspense about whether or not the big fish will discover the missing hat and try to get it back. This is a fantastic book for lap sit kids and kids who enjoy humor. I would recommend this to any parent and would love to use it in a story time. ( )
  Anna.Nash | Mar 17, 2014 |
A tiny fish finds the most perfect hat, but trouble comes when you learn that he stole it from a big fish and that fish comes looking for his hat.
  alishablaire | Mar 17, 2014 |
This is my favorite book to read to children. The character lends itself to great funny voices. My version of the fish often has a "Sebastian the crab" type accent and the way the story wraps up is a big surprise, even though it really shouldn't be. You are left thinking.. oh no he didn't! Yes Klassen did, and because it is such a silly little book he gets away with it when other authors may not. Kids seem to get a kick out of the little fish's deception, and his "foolproof" plan.
  bdemontigny | Mar 15, 2014 |
I thought that this book was a fun and quick read. It was a funny story about a fish who stole a bigger fishes hat and even though he tries to hide and to justify why he did it, eventually the other fish gets his hat back. I thought that this book was a really great way to bring up a topic like stealing with younger children. The fish says "I know it is wrong to steal but..." and it taught them that stealing would not be right for any reason. The illustrations in this book were also really interesting and I thought that added to the story line. Because the book did not have a lot of words, the illustrations really helped and added to the humor and the plot of the story. Overall, I think that this book was a really funny book to read to children but most importantly it had a really good moral to a topic that is sometimes hard to bring up to young children. ( )
  ramber1 | Mar 6, 2014 |
For Will and Justin, again
This hat is not mine.

Lawson/LIB 428 desc. --The extraordinary, simple, yet extravagant illustration coupled with the sort of twist/mystery plotline in the book when the fish go out of sight make this book such a fun and amazign read for children. Children and adults will likely appreciate the amazing artwork and design in this story but it's a double threat with the fun/humorous storyline and loveable characterization as the little fish has stolen a big fish's hat and swims along sort of bragging about it unknowingly being chased by the big fish until they reach seaweed and dip behind it, and only the big fish emerges, leaving the reader to assume what happened to the other. This book is incredible and should not be missed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763655996, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Year 2012: Jon Klassen first surprised readers with his runaway best seller, I Want My Hat Back, and his follow-up, This Is Not My Hat is an inside out version that is even more fun. Not only did Klassen go with a dark color scheme where the last was light, the action takes place underwater with much of the story told through the expressive illustrations of sea creatures. From the little fish who steals a bowler hat to the crab who sells him out with eyeballs pointing the way, there are lots of laughs along with lessons. This time Klassen created an ambiguous ending that invites lively conversation about the possible outcomes and ultimately leaves it up to the child to decide the little fish's fate with every reading. --Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:04 -0400)

A tiny minnow wearing a pale blue bowler hat has a thing or two up his fins in this underwater light-on-dark chase scene.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible