This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

This Is Not My Hat (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (2)

Member:ejmeloche
Title:This Is Not My Hat
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:funny, cut-outs, picture book, fish, contradictory illustrations, animals

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen (2012)

This book is about how karma can come back and literally bite you. I think this is a good book for three reasons. I like how the plot is developed through the thoughts of the little fish, but is just as dependent on comprehension of the accompanying illustrations. As the thieving fish reasons as to how he will get away with stealing the sleeping big fish’s hat, the illustrations show otherwise. A good example is when the little fish thinks “And even if he does wake up, he probably won’t notice that it’s gone.” The accompanying picture shows the big fish looking up to where his hat used to be. The writing is engaging and one of my favorite parts is when the little fish tries to justify his actions, “I know it’s wrong to steal a hat. I know it does not belong to me. But I am going to keep it. It was too small for him anyway. It fits me just right.” Finally, I love how the last six pages of the book, after the little fish thinks “Nobody will ever find me,” are wordless, leaving the reader to understand the outcome through the illustrations alone; the last page being a picture of the big fish asleep again, with his hat back in place. ( )
  jmille113 | Feb 23, 2015 |
Interesting and humorous story as little fish eventually gets what's coming to him for thinking he could get away with stealing. ( )
  reynolds2 | Feb 22, 2015 |
Summary:
A fish takes a hat that isn't his. He believes he won't be found because the only witness said they wouldn't say anything about it. However, that witness told the original owner of the hat where the fish went anyway.

Personal Reaction:
I had never even heard of this book until recently and I really enjoyed it. I like how the ending doesn't say what happened to the fish after the bigger fish gets his hat back. I imagine children would enjoy this too trying to figure out the end.

Classroom Extention Ideas:
1. Each student brings a hat to class. Then everyone gets a hat that isn't theirs and hides it. The students then find their own hats.
2. The students use different materials given to them to make their own hat so the fish doesn't have to steal one.
  Megan_Livsey | Feb 11, 2015 |
Summary:
This book is about a little fish who thinks he has it all figured out. He steals a hat from a big sleeping fish and makes his get away. He thinks that his plan is full proof, but the truth is he's not fooling anyone. The big fish is on his trail the entire time and he gets his hat back. The book ends with an image of the big fish leaving the seaweeds with his hat and you never see the little fish again.

Personal Experience:
I have to admit when I read this on my own, I did not like it. the beginning is cute and the illustrations are good but the end is strange. Does the little fish get eaten or is he still in the seaweed hiding? But when I read it aloud to the kids, they loved it. I pointed out the pictures and asked them if they knew what was going on and they always got it. They even laughed at several parts.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1.) This would be a good comprehension exercise because the story itself is very vague. I would read the book or have the kids read it then ask them to explain what they think happened in their own words.

2.)Since the book is about stealing a hat. I would use this to show kids how important it is to never take anything that doesn't belong to you even if you think you can get away with it.

3.)Jon Klassen wrote and illustrated "This Is Not My Hat". I would tell the kids this and that he won awards. I would then have the kids write a story called, "This Is Not My (fill in the blank)" and draw a picture that goes along with it. ( )
  CamilleSchmidt | Feb 4, 2015 |
The little fish, with a hat he just stole, thinks he is making a clean getaway. However, the pictures tell a different story, as the big fish looking for his hat sees through the little fish’s plan from the beginning.
  Emackay24 | Jan 24, 2015 |
For Will and Justin, again
This hat is not mine.

Lawson/LIB 428 desc. --The extraordinary, simple, yet extravagant illustration coupled with the sort of twist/mystery plotline in the book when the fish go out of sight make this book such a fun and amazign read for children. Children and adults will likely appreciate the amazing artwork and design in this story but it's a double threat with the fun/humorous storyline and loveable characterization as the little fish has stolen a big fish's hat and swims along sort of bragging about it unknowingly being chased by the big fish until they reach seaweed and dip behind it, and only the big fish emerges, leaving the reader to assume what happened to the other. This book is incredible and should not be missed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763655996, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Year 2012: Jon Klassen first surprised readers with his runaway best seller, I Want My Hat Back, and his follow-up, This Is Not My Hat is an inside out version that is even more fun. Not only did Klassen go with a dark color scheme where the last was light, the action takes place underwater with much of the story told through the expressive illustrations of sea creatures. From the little fish who steals a bowler hat to the crab who sells him out with eyeballs pointing the way, there are lots of laughs along with lessons. This time Klassen created an ambiguous ending that invites lively conversation about the possible outcomes and ultimately leaves it up to the child to decide the little fish's fate with every reading. --Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:04 -0400)

A tiny minnow wearing a pale blue bowler hat has a thing or two up his fins in this underwater light-on-dark chase scene.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,735,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible