This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

This Is Not My Hat (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (2)

1,1152087,401 (4.28)21
Member:ejmeloche
Title:This Is Not My Hat
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:funny, cut-outs, picture book, fish, contradictory illustrations, animals

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen (2012)

The best part of this story about a small fish who steals a hat from BIG fish are the expressions on the BIG fish. Definitely can understand why this book was awarded Caldecott Award. Super cute book!
  JLT70 | Jul 28, 2016 |
This short story tells the tale of a fish who stole a hat. While describing how he will get away with stealing the hat, a very different story is unfolding in the illustration as the big fish who the main character stole the hat from is figuring out the mystery of where his hat went! The illustrations evoke what it would feel like to be under the sea and the story is actually almost 2 stories in one! Let's just say, the big fish gets his hat back ( )
  paulaboy | Jul 18, 2016 |
"This Is Not My Hat" is a wonderful tale of a small fish that steals a hat from a larger fish while he is sleeping. The small fish assumes that no one will find out because he is swimming far away, and the only person that sees him will not tell where he went. The larger fish goes looking for his hat and returns to his resting spot with his rightful property.

This Is Not My Hat is a really cute book that teaches the reader not to steal or make assumptions. The ending leaves something to the imagination because the author does not tell how the larger fish retrieves his property. My assumption was that the small fish was intimidated to give the hat back.

The classroom extensions that I would suggest would be:
1. Allow the children to express how they would feel if something of theirs was taken while they were sleeping.
2. Ask the children if they would notify someone if their property was taken. ( )
  davishea2004 | Jul 10, 2016 |
This book is about a fish who steals a hat from a bigger fish that is sleeping. He talks about how he will get away with it, and that he doesn't care that he stole it. Eventually, the bigger fish realizes his hat has been stolen, follows the fish, and finds him in leaves. The ending is wordless, and only shows the bigger fish coming out of the tall leaves with his hat.

My personal reaction was that I really enjoyed this book. Reading it for the first time, I didn't pay much attention to the pictures. When I realized that the pictures told the story of the ending, I started over and read it again, this time making sure I looked at the pictures. It was much more funny the second time.

One extension of this could be a lesson about stealing, or consequences. A second extension could be a writing lesson. The children could use photocopies of the last few wordless pages, and add words to create the ending that they imagined. ( )
  WhitneyBaughn | Jul 5, 2016 |
A small fish takes a hat from a big fish. He thinks he won't be found by the big fish, but we (the audience) know that the big fish is already looking for the small fish to get his hat back.
  mendi009 | Jun 6, 2016 |
For Will and Justin, again
This hat is not mine.

Lawson/LIB 428 desc. --The extraordinary, simple, yet extravagant illustration coupled with the sort of twist/mystery plotline in the book when the fish go out of sight make this book such a fun and amazign read for children. Children and adults will likely appreciate the amazing artwork and design in this story but it's a double threat with the fun/humorous storyline and loveable characterization as the little fish has stolen a big fish's hat and swims along sort of bragging about it unknowingly being chased by the big fish until they reach seaweed and dip behind it, and only the big fish emerges, leaving the reader to assume what happened to the other. This book is incredible and should not be missed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763655996, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Year 2012: Jon Klassen first surprised readers with his runaway best seller, I Want My Hat Back, and his follow-up, This Is Not My Hat is an inside out version that is even more fun. Not only did Klassen go with a dark color scheme where the last was light, the action takes place underwater with much of the story told through the expressive illustrations of sea creatures. From the little fish who steals a bowler hat to the crab who sells him out with eyeballs pointing the way, there are lots of laughs along with lessons. This time Klassen created an ambiguous ending that invites lively conversation about the possible outcomes and ultimately leaves it up to the child to decide the little fish's fate with every reading. --Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

A tiny minnow wearing a pale blue bowler hat has a thing or two up his fins in this underwater light-on-dark chase scene.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,367,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible