This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

This Is Not My Hat (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (2)

Member:ejmeloche
Title:This Is Not My Hat
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:funny, cut-outs, picture book, fish, contradictory illustrations, animals

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen (2012)

This book is about a small fish who took a bigger fish's hat. The small fish thought he was going to get away with it. This book was AWESOME. The pictures and the text are proportional. The illustrations are great and shows exactly what the character is saying. I love how at the end of the book their is no text. The illustrations make the reader infer what he or she thinks happens. The book makes the reader turn on his or her thinking cap. ( )
  Lana_elise | Apr 14, 2015 |
This chapter book is a fantasy literature text. It tells the story of a little fish who has stolen a bigger fishes hat. Throughout the story the little fish tells us about why he stole the hat and why he is going to get away with stealing the hat.
  ecarlson2014 | Apr 12, 2015 |
Summary:
The little fish stole a hat. He is unashamed. He thinks he will get away with it. He thinks he has escaped. He didn’t.

Personal reaction:
I love this book. It is a good way to open a discussion with very young children about stealing. Everyone wants things at one time or another that does not belong to them. This story provides a great explanation for one of the reasons that one should not steal. The pictures are entertaining and provide action and suspense to the story line. The ending is left partly open, did he eat the little fish? Did he just take back his hat? We will never know.

Classroom extensions:
Discuss what it would feel like to be the big fish when he awoke to find his hat missing.

Discuss what happened at the end (or write a new ending). What happened among the sea weed? Was there an altercation? ( )
  Lena_Krenzke | Apr 9, 2015 |
Another amazing picture book by Jon Klassen. This book makes great use of illustrations to tell the story with minimal words. Its a humorous book that will keep children captivated, as they await the fate of the small fish being chased by the larger fish. With his simple yet full of action illustrations Jon Klassen depicts the story in a very captivating way.
  MindyTran | Mar 19, 2015 |
Silly book about a small fish who takes the hat from a big fish- but for some reason it didn't capture me, especially as I looked at it through the eyes of my 3 year old. Just not the most fun book we have. I think she might enjoy it more (and subsequently, so would I) in a couple years. ( )
  herethere | Mar 18, 2015 |
For Will and Justin, again
This hat is not mine.

Lawson/LIB 428 desc. --The extraordinary, simple, yet extravagant illustration coupled with the sort of twist/mystery plotline in the book when the fish go out of sight make this book such a fun and amazign read for children. Children and adults will likely appreciate the amazing artwork and design in this story but it's a double threat with the fun/humorous storyline and loveable characterization as the little fish has stolen a big fish's hat and swims along sort of bragging about it unknowingly being chased by the big fish until they reach seaweed and dip behind it, and only the big fish emerges, leaving the reader to assume what happened to the other. This book is incredible and should not be missed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763655996, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Year 2012: Jon Klassen first surprised readers with his runaway best seller, I Want My Hat Back, and his follow-up, This Is Not My Hat is an inside out version that is even more fun. Not only did Klassen go with a dark color scheme where the last was light, the action takes place underwater with much of the story told through the expressive illustrations of sea creatures. From the little fish who steals a bowler hat to the crab who sells him out with eyeballs pointing the way, there are lots of laughs along with lessons. This time Klassen created an ambiguous ending that invites lively conversation about the possible outcomes and ultimately leaves it up to the child to decide the little fish's fate with every reading. --Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:04 -0400)

A tiny minnow wearing a pale blue bowler hat has a thing or two up his fins in this underwater light-on-dark chase scene.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,602,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible