This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

This Is Not My Hat (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (2)

Title:This Is Not My Hat
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:funny, cut-outs, picture book, fish, contradictory illustrations, animals

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen (2012)

"This is Not My Hat" is a delightful and humorous tale that will touch the emotions of readers. I believe this book is best suited for older readers, possibly second grade an older, as they are able to make inferences and predictions to better comprehend the story. This book offers surprisingly dark humor, but also valuable social lessons for young readers. Overall, this story is fun, inviting, and offers wonderful illustrations. I would recommend this picture book for any classroom library. ( )
  hannahlowe | Oct 9, 2016 |
This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen is a Caldecott award winning children's picture book that tells the story of a small fish who takes a small hat from a big fish. The story has a feeling of unease due to the fact that the words on the page are from the easygoing perspective of the small fish, but the illustrations show the reader that the big fish is catching up to the small one. The end of the story is conveyed through illustrations. Recommended for middle elementary. ( )
  BethBaugh | Oct 6, 2016 |
A small fish takes a hat that doesn't belong to him because it fits him better and tries to hide in able to keep the true owner from finding him.
  R.edwards2 | Oct 4, 2016 |
Another short and hilarious book about why you should never steal things from people. This book has a great art style that is easy to follow and helps tell the story. It is a great book for younger kids. ( )
  MichaelCunningham | Sep 26, 2016 |
Occupational hazard of volunteering at a library and getting assigned to the children's room - this was the result. One of the librarians handed this to me and told me to read it. I was laughing hysterically. Excellent, excellent, excellent! ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
For Will and Justin, again
This hat is not mine.

Lawson/LIB 428 desc. --The extraordinary, simple, yet extravagant illustration coupled with the sort of twist/mystery plotline in the book when the fish go out of sight make this book such a fun and amazign read for children. Children and adults will likely appreciate the amazing artwork and design in this story but it's a double threat with the fun/humorous storyline and loveable characterization as the little fish has stolen a big fish's hat and swims along sort of bragging about it unknowingly being chased by the big fish until they reach seaweed and dip behind it, and only the big fish emerges, leaving the reader to assume what happened to the other. This book is incredible and should not be missed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763655996, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Year 2012: Jon Klassen first surprised readers with his runaway best seller, I Want My Hat Back, and his follow-up, This Is Not My Hat is an inside out version that is even more fun. Not only did Klassen go with a dark color scheme where the last was light, the action takes place underwater with much of the story told through the expressive illustrations of sea creatures. From the little fish who steals a bowler hat to the crab who sells him out with eyeballs pointing the way, there are lots of laughs along with lessons. This time Klassen created an ambiguous ending that invites lively conversation about the possible outcomes and ultimately leaves it up to the child to decide the little fish's fate with every reading. --Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

A tiny minnow wearing a pale blue bowler hat has a thing or two up his fins in this underwater light-on-dark chase scene.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,766,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible