This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

This Is Not My Hat (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (2)

Member:ejmeloche
Title:This Is Not My Hat
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:funny, cut-outs, picture book, fish, contradictory illustrations, animals

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen (2012)

Another amazing picture book by Jon Klassen. This book makes great use of illustrations to tell the story with minimal words. Its a humorous book that will keep children captivated, as they await the fate of the small fish being chased by the larger fish. With his simple yet full of action illustrations Jon Klassen depicts the story in a very captivating way.
  MindyTran | Mar 19, 2015 |
Silly book about a small fish who takes the hat from a big fish- but for some reason it didn't capture me, especially as I looked at it through the eyes of my 3 year old. Just not the most fun book we have. I think she might enjoy it more (and subsequently, so would I) in a couple years. ( )
  herethere | Mar 18, 2015 |
The simplicity of this book makes me feel like it might stimulate conversation in a read aloud environment. It doesn't give a direct conclusion, and so I think that would prompt students minds to ask questions about what did happen, and speak about what they think as well. The pictures are as simple as the story, but the go well together because of that.
  loross | Mar 16, 2015 |
Despite not having a lot of text, Klassen's illustrations are what make this book hilarious. The fishes' expressions draw the reader's eye immediately to theirs. Contentment, conniving, worry, and anger are all conveyed exceptionally well with only the most minimal details.
  jlange4 | Mar 15, 2015 |
This Is Not My Hat is another great book by John Klassen. The story line is simple, easy to follow, and lets the audience in on something the main character does not know. The story begins with a little fish stealing a much bigger fish’s hat and thinks that he has done this unnoticeably. A small crab lets the big fish in on the secret and he eventually takes his hat back. Klassen’s stories are also great because they are simple and even younger students can understand and enjoy the story on their own. I love how simple all his illustrations are and how the cut outs really pop against the white background of the pages. I think that this is a great book to have in the classroom because students could make their own illustrations like Klassen’s by cutting animals and shapes out of construction paper. It could also be used as a great warm up exercise to read to students when they first arrive at school to warm them up for the day.
  laineyh | Mar 15, 2015 |
For Will and Justin, again
This hat is not mine.

Lawson/LIB 428 desc. --The extraordinary, simple, yet extravagant illustration coupled with the sort of twist/mystery plotline in the book when the fish go out of sight make this book such a fun and amazign read for children. Children and adults will likely appreciate the amazing artwork and design in this story but it's a double threat with the fun/humorous storyline and loveable characterization as the little fish has stolen a big fish's hat and swims along sort of bragging about it unknowingly being chased by the big fish until they reach seaweed and dip behind it, and only the big fish emerges, leaving the reader to assume what happened to the other. This book is incredible and should not be missed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763655996, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Year 2012: Jon Klassen first surprised readers with his runaway best seller, I Want My Hat Back, and his follow-up, This Is Not My Hat is an inside out version that is even more fun. Not only did Klassen go with a dark color scheme where the last was light, the action takes place underwater with much of the story told through the expressive illustrations of sea creatures. From the little fish who steals a bowler hat to the crab who sells him out with eyeballs pointing the way, there are lots of laughs along with lessons. This time Klassen created an ambiguous ending that invites lively conversation about the possible outcomes and ultimately leaves it up to the child to decide the little fish's fate with every reading. --Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:04 -0400)

A tiny minnow wearing a pale blue bowler hat has a thing or two up his fins in this underwater light-on-dark chase scene.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,163,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible