This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

This Is Not My Hat (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (2)

Member:ejmeloche
Title:This Is Not My Hat
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:funny, cut-outs, picture book, fish, contradictory illustrations, animals

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen (2012)

Another short and hilarious book about why you should never steal things from people. This book has a great art style that is easy to follow and helps tell the story. It is a great book for younger kids. ( )
  MichaelCunningham | Sep 26, 2016 |
Occupational hazard of volunteering at a library and getting assigned to the children's room - this was the result. One of the librarians handed this to me and told me to read it. I was laughing hysterically. Excellent, excellent, excellent! ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
This is not my hat is a Caldecott winner. The story tells the story of a theft from the thief's point of view rather than that of the victims. The story starts off with a fish explaining that this is not his hat and that he got it from a big fish. The little fish assumes that the bigger fish won't know it's him who took the hat and then proceeds to hide in tall grass. The larger fish wakes up, and the book shows him swimming to the grass where the little fish is hiding. Then there is a page which just shows the tall grass. I would assume the fish are facing off. After the fish "face off" the bigger fish swims away with the hat and the little fish is never to be heard from again. The book doesn't explain what happens in the grass, did the fish come to an arrangement through conflict resolution, did the bigger fish simply eat the smaller fish? The reader is left pondering what happened in the tall grass. The discussions we had about what happened to the little fish was entertaining. The book teaches kids to predict what will happen and to use critical thinking skills to assess what actually did happen in the tall grass. An extension idea for this book would be to have the kids play hide and seek. The goal of the exercise would be for them to realize you always get caught! Another extension would be to have the kids each cutout and make their own paper hats to wear. ( )
  cosmodad16 | Sep 19, 2016 |
A little fish stole a big fishes hat. The little fish thought it fit him better. The little fish knew that he was going to get away because he thought the big fish was sleeping and he could hide where there are a lot of plants. The little fish did not know that the big fish was following him. At the end of the book, the big fish swims out of the plants with the hat on. The little fish is not in sight.

I liked the book because it teaches a good lesson about stealing. I also like how the ending is left up to your imagination.

Ask students what the white dots are behind the fish. Ask students if they think that the big fish will wake up. After you read, “I knew I was going to make it” ask why the big fishes eyes looked so small. Ask students to predict what is going to happen next when the little fish knew he made it with the big fishes hat.

Have students write their opinion about what happened to the little fish at the end of the story. Did the big fish eat him? Did the little fish give him the hat? The book was written from the little fishes perspective. Students could rewrite it from the big fishes perspective. ( )
  sarahthigpen | Sep 17, 2016 |
This is a super silly story with really cute/funny animations. The simply, easy illustration helped set a little bit of a mood. ( )
  KJoPlante | Sep 15, 2016 |
For Will and Justin, again
This hat is not mine.

Lawson/LIB 428 desc. --The extraordinary, simple, yet extravagant illustration coupled with the sort of twist/mystery plotline in the book when the fish go out of sight make this book such a fun and amazign read for children. Children and adults will likely appreciate the amazing artwork and design in this story but it's a double threat with the fun/humorous storyline and loveable characterization as the little fish has stolen a big fish's hat and swims along sort of bragging about it unknowingly being chased by the big fish until they reach seaweed and dip behind it, and only the big fish emerges, leaving the reader to assume what happened to the other. This book is incredible and should not be missed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763655996, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Year 2012: Jon Klassen first surprised readers with his runaway best seller, I Want My Hat Back, and his follow-up, This Is Not My Hat is an inside out version that is even more fun. Not only did Klassen go with a dark color scheme where the last was light, the action takes place underwater with much of the story told through the expressive illustrations of sea creatures. From the little fish who steals a bowler hat to the crab who sells him out with eyeballs pointing the way, there are lots of laughs along with lessons. This time Klassen created an ambiguous ending that invites lively conversation about the possible outcomes and ultimately leaves it up to the child to decide the little fish's fate with every reading. --Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

A tiny minnow wearing a pale blue bowler hat has a thing or two up his fins in this underwater light-on-dark chase scene.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,184,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible