This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

This Is Not My Hat (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Jon Klassen, Jon Klassen (Illustrator)

Series: My Hat (2)

Member:ejmeloche
Title:This Is Not My Hat
Authors:Jon Klassen
Other authors:Jon Klassen (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:funny, cut-outs, picture book, fish, contradictory illustrations, animals

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen (2012)

Summary- A little fish steals a hat from a big fish. He thinks he will not get caught. No one saw him do it and he does not think anyone can find him in the tall sea weed. He is wrong. The big fish takes back his hat.

Personal Response- A humorous book about a little fish stealing a hat. He thinks he's getting away but the illustrations tell a different story. Children would like it that they know more than the little fish.

Extensions- Great lead in to talk about why taking things is wrong and why whatever justifications you think you have do not make it right.
  SuzieB1972 | Jul 15, 2015 |
Library visit assignment
  lbarnard2015 | Jun 30, 2015 |
This is simple story of fish who steals a hat from another fish. He is sure he will not be caught. The plot line is his thinking as he swims to where he feels he will be safe. It would be a good read aloud to dicuss decisions and why taking things that do not belong to you is wrong. The text is simple and good for young readers. It could be ready over and over to help with fluency or to lern basic sentence patterns. It is witty and the bad guy does not win. It could be used in a counseling libray as well to teach basic morals and choice making. ( )
  Lisapier | Jun 19, 2015 |
Very funny story! I read this aloud to two little ones I nanny for and they loved this! I think the story and illustrations are great for great for illustrations. ( )
  RuthFinnigan | Jun 7, 2015 |
Summary:
Genre:
Awards: 2013 Caldecott Medal
Lesson Plan: ( )
  a.coote | Jun 5, 2015 |
For Will and Justin, again
This hat is not mine.

Lawson/LIB 428 desc. --The extraordinary, simple, yet extravagant illustration coupled with the sort of twist/mystery plotline in the book when the fish go out of sight make this book such a fun and amazign read for children. Children and adults will likely appreciate the amazing artwork and design in this story but it's a double threat with the fun/humorous storyline and loveable characterization as the little fish has stolen a big fish's hat and swims along sort of bragging about it unknowingly being chased by the big fish until they reach seaweed and dip behind it, and only the big fish emerges, leaving the reader to assume what happened to the other. This book is incredible and should not be missed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0763655996, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Year 2012: Jon Klassen first surprised readers with his runaway best seller, I Want My Hat Back, and his follow-up, This Is Not My Hat is an inside out version that is even more fun. Not only did Klassen go with a dark color scheme where the last was light, the action takes place underwater with much of the story told through the expressive illustrations of sea creatures. From the little fish who steals a bowler hat to the crab who sells him out with eyeballs pointing the way, there are lots of laughs along with lessons. This time Klassen created an ambiguous ending that invites lively conversation about the possible outcomes and ultimately leaves it up to the child to decide the little fish's fate with every reading. --Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

A tiny minnow wearing a pale blue bowler hat has a thing or two up his fins in this underwater light-on-dark chase scene.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,498,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible