Love Finds You in Mackinac Island, Michigan…

Love Finds You in Mackinac Island, Michigan

by Melanie Dobson

I love the "Love Finds You" series. This novel by Melanie Dobson was wonderfully written. I really enjoyed the historical detail in this sweet, humorous, historical romance. Once I started this book, I couldn't put it down. ( )
  Sandralb | Apr 9, 2017 |
Elena wants nothing more than to be able to marry for love. She is feeling pressure to marry for money though. Her once wealthy family is now teetering on bankruptcy, and this may be her last summer in the beautiful Mackinac Island, Michigan. Elena's mother is pressuring her to try to gain the attentions of the very rich entrepreneur Chester Darrington. On an nighttime escape to her favorite lighthouse though, she meets the mysterious Chase. Chase and Elena feel an immediate draw to each other. Will Elena follow her heart or her head?

This was a really sweet book. This was a great combination of history, romance, and even a little mystery. Elena is a bit "modern" in sensibility, and you can relate to her struggle between heart and head. The fact that she gives so much consideration to trying to meet Chester Darrington proves her devotion and love for her family. This made her struggle with her attraction to Chase even more difficult. Elena was overall a very compassionate and loving individual, and this makes you really cheer for her to get everything she wants and more. I also loved the idea that she had a place to go and be herself in the lighthouse. Sometimes I think we all wish we could have a place like that. The fact that she met Chase there made it seem even more apparent that they were meant to be.

There was some side mystery with the journal that was found in the lighthouse. I admit to being the tiniest confused at the resolution of that story. I did like the way it showed the history of the island in an interesting way though. This was the perfect book to relax with. It kept my interest, and I found it to be very entertaining. Lovers of romance and history will find a lot to enjoy in this book. It made me want to check out other books in this series also, so I definitely found it enjoyable.

Book provided for review. ( )
  l_manning | Nov 8, 2012 |
This is such a sweet tale of a society lost to time. Perhaps for the best as at least as portrayed in the book it was a time of pretense and social climbing and gossip - oh, not much HAS changed. But I digress.

Elena Bisette is a child of privilege who is about to have it all crumble around her as her father's business empire is slowly falling apart in the economic crisis of the time. There is enough for one last summer on Mackinac Island where the family has a cottage. Her mother plans and plots to marry her off to a rich man so to maintain the family way of life with apparently little regard as to what Elena may want. Her father does not agree with his wife's machinations but does little to stop her except to tell Elena to hand it off to God.

Elena wants to marry for love, not money and has little pretense. She encourages the relationship between her maid - who is her friend despite her mother's admonitions - and her friend Parker. But the two lovebirds know that society would not accept them as a couple. Elena's mother seems to forget that she herself was once of a different class.

The book covers a variety of issues such as the class issue so seemingly important at this time in history. Women's rights and the just plain fair treatment of all people play important roles as well. The story is well written with enough twists and turns to keep the reader engaged and the main characters are quite winning. You are really rooting for them to fall in love despite the setbacks placed in their way. Ms. Dobson has a way with a sweet, charming historical romance bringing both period and place vividly alive. ( )
  BrokenTeepee | Jul 20, 2012 |
As the book opens we given a look at the Island, and begin to smell the Lilacs that are perfuming the air. The beauty of this place sounds so awesome and peaceful.
As the Bissett family has arrived on the dock for their Summer Holiday, to the horror of Elana her hat takes flight off her head. As she try to retrieve it she almost falls in, being rescued by one of the Forts soldiers. This is enough to start the tongues wagging for the gossip here is terrible. We also find that Mrs Bissett has plans to have her daughter meet and marry Chester Darrington, a wealthy investor. The Bissett family is begining probably their last summer on the Island, but there is hope if Elana can marry well.
With so much pressure on her, Elana visits her favorite place on the Island, an abandoned Lighthouse. There begins another story...the story of Magdalena, her two children, and the missing Jonah...this during the War of 1812.
Elana loves the Lighthouse, and feels closer to God here than anywhere else on the Island. She climbs the stairs and watches the stars, she also enjoys drawing, a talent her Mother frowns on. Here she also meets a man who she could marry, Chase, he is everything she wants, only he isn't wealthy.
We get drawn in with the beautiful surroundings, the balls, teas, and the delightful lawn tennis.
You are going to wonder who Elana will end up with, her childhood friend? The hotel worker Chase? or some other person of wealth to save her family.
Once you start on this book you will be absorbed into it, and its not easy to put down. Don't miss this one!

I received this book from Litfuse Publicity Tours and Summerside Publishers, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Jul 18, 2012 |

It's the height of the Gilded Age, but Elena Bissette's family has lost most of its fortune. The Bissettes still own a home on fashionable Mackinac Island, and they spend summers there in hopes of introducing Elena to a wealthy suitor. Quickly tiring of the extravagant balls at the Grand Hotel, she spends her days walking along the island's rugged coastline. There she meets Chase, a young fisherman who invites her to watch the ships from an abandoned lighthouse. The two begin to meet there in secret, hoping to solve a decades-old mystery. Meanwhile, Elena's mother contrives introductions between Elena and the island's most eligible bachelor, an elusive millionaire named Chester Darrington. When Elena's two worlds unexpectedly collide, she will be in for the surprise of her life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,727,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible