My Dead Friend Sarah: A Novel by Peter Rosch

My Dead Friend Sarah: A Novel

by Peter Rosch

My Dead Friend Sarah by Peter Rosch is really about Max, a recovering alcoholic who is having repeated dreams about a woman being kidnapped and dying. He discovers the woman accidentally on the streets of NYC and begins clandestinely following/stalking her, sure that his dreams are a premonition of the future. He finds out her name is Sarah and ends up striking up a relationship with her, only to break it off in favor of his wife, Rachel. This doesn't stop Max from still following her, thinking he is protecting her. The novel opens up with Max reporting his reoccurring dream to the police.

The beginning chapters of this mystery alternate between Max and Sarah. Max has an addictive personality and may be an unreliable narrator. He is an alcoholic, struggling with recovery in AA, keeping contact with his sponsor, Sam, and striving to tell the truth. Sarah, who keeps herself distant from other people, is a suicidal events planner who has been going to therapy for years. Both of these flawed characters like to think that they can control the actions of others.

The story itself is compelling and a quick read. The inside information about AA becomes an integral part of the story. It also becomes clear that while Max has a goal of always telling the truth, he may be struggling with that as much as he is with maintaining sobriety.

There are a few flaws. While the chapters alternate between Max and Sarah at the beginning, if you aren't paying attention, you might miss this since they are written in exactly the same manner. It might have been nice to have more differentiation between their voices. There were a few grammatical errors which I could easily overlook since I considered them part of a conversational style of writing, but they might really bother some readers.

Disclosure: My Kindle edition was courtesy of Netgalley for review purposes

SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
In My Dead Friend Sarah, a novel by Peter Rosch you meet Max, an alcoholic struggling with sobriety, mixing truths and lies. He frantically stalks a Sarah, which turns out to be a beautiful stranger, Sarah Reynolds. As a married man to Rachel, problems lay ahead. When Max dreams Sarah will be dead in a while, it only looks a dream. But, when Sarah actually disappears, Max is main suspect. Has he killed her? And if so, why?
Alternating storytellers are Max and Sarah. AA's famous steps and wisdom like "do the next right thing" and "bear what you can and leave what you can't handle" is interwoven with NYPD investigation and talks with lawyer Jon.
Sarah loves Max very much, but Max chooses his overly devoted Rachel, and he abandons Sarah - even when it means her death. A discovery of the betrayal, and resume drinking again does Max no good. Following the inner thoughts and possibilities is hard sometimes, but keeps you engaged. A well-done journey into the mind of an alcohol addict. ( )
  hjvanderklis | Sep 12, 2012 |
The prologue of My Dead Friend Sarah begins with recovering alcoholic, Max, being interrogated by the police for the disappearance of Sarah. He is the prime suspect because several weeks earlier he had gone to the police predicting her kidnapping. Max's fears were based on the fact that he had had a reoccurring nightmare about her abduction and death. The story then rewinds several weeks to let the reader learn more about Max and Sarah. Their association begins when Max actually encounters her, the woman he had been having nightmares about, and becomes obsessed and begins to stalk her. He eventually initiates a relationship with Sarah in the hopes of preventing the events of his dream. Max's story is told in his two voices: his sober one and his drunk one. Sarah also narrates some chapters, and the reader quickly understands that she is mentally unstable. The entire story is told in the voices of these two people, and I think that ultimately, that is its downfall. If Roach had included some narration by Max's wife, Rachel, and his AA sponsor, Sam, I think Max's character and the story i general would have been infinitely richer. As it is, the plot moves along quickly, but the story just skims the surface of what could have been a complex and satisfying psychological thriller. ( )
  JGoto | Aug 4, 2012 |
NOTE: I received a copy of this book from the author/publisher. All that was asked was a honest review.

When I saw the blurp about this book when I requested it, I thought it might be either a paranormal/supernatural or murder mystery. When the book started with Max, the main character being interviewed by the police about a dream he had had about a girl named Sarah and had reported to the police months before where she had been abducted and maybe killed and it seemed she was missing and the police wanted to know if he had anything to do with it. I still thought that.

As it turned out this was neither of what I had thought. It was not paranormal/supernatural and reading on it turned out not to be a murder/mystery. Instead it is the travels through the mind of Sam, a recovering (?) drunk, how he thinks and why and not very well at that. Note to author, don't ramble, be more clear and to the point

If it had not been for the fact that I had requested the book and felt honor bound to read it and review it, I would have probably quit reading it around 30 to 50 pages. For sure by 75 pages. The author failed to inform the reader why Sam or for that matter Sarah were the way they are. He gave us no real reason to care much about any of the characters in the book and probably the best part of the book was the last page, last line that said END. What is sad is if the author had given the reader any real reason to like, hate or feel something about the characters this could have been a good human interest story. If I was to tell the author how to rewrite it, I would say, give us some reason to like or hate Sam. Give us some reason to feel sorry or something at all for Sarah and the other characters in the story. Just give the reader some reason to care. ( )
  Richhayes | Jul 29, 2012 |
While I enjoyed the book, there were definitely some items which made me take back a star. For one, I felt like the book dragged on a bit--especially with the beginning, which seems contrary to most books. Secondly, while I enjoyed the ending, it was made obvious what will eventually happen when you're about 10 pages from the ending--don't do that! I want to hear the ending WHEN the ending comes, not 10 pages before it actually happens. Lastly, my mind seemed to zone in and out of the story at times. This might have been because there wasn't that much action going on, or it might have just been due to my mind making its likely disappearance. Either way, I would have loved more action besides simply having Max follow Sarah around.

Now, to what I liked--the characters! I haven't read a book which had me so engrossed in the mind of a character since first reading the Song of Ice and Fire books. Even though I never really got into Sarah's head like I did with Max, she was still an interesting character and I could empathize with her. Max's character, on the other hand, was written in a way that made the story seem like a memoir--and it almost is with the alcoholic take. I just cannot begin to state what a good portrayal the author managed to create of Max. It's true what they say, when you really get close to a character, after finishing the book it is almost like the character has died.

There were a few humorous lines which really stuck with me--one being connected to zombies and another to the military--which I just HAD to read to my father who also found them hilarious. However, hints of humor and great characters still don't make a book I come to love. I may have found a new friend with Max, but that doesn't mean the book itself was anything special. Max, I hope to meet you again in another world where maybe you're fighting your struggles a little more and finally opening yourself up. ( )
  taletreader | Jul 9, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 147519823X, Paperback)

Mere months into recovery, Max, an alcoholic with twisted control issues, meets Sarah – the same woman that for years he’s habitually dreamt will die after a botched abduction. "Doing the next right thing," a popular AA phrase he’s picked up in the rooms, means befriending Sarah long enough to warn her and hope she takes him seriously. But when Sarah falls in love with Max, his newly sober thinking drives him to choose his overly devoted wife, and he abandons Sarah – even when it condemns her to death. When Sarah goes missing, the NYPD suspects Max’s dream may have been a pre-crime confession. The truth, all of it, lurks inside of Max, but only by drinking again does he recapture the nerve and clarity vital to free his wife, sponsor, and himself from a life imprisoned by lies.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:45 -0400)

Peter Rosch is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,979,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible