Trinity Rising (Wild Hunt Trilogy 2) by…

Trinity Rising (Wild Hunt Trilogy 2) (edition 2012)

by Elspeth Cooper

Member:AlistairM
Title:Trinity Rising (Wild Hunt Trilogy 2)
Authors:Elspeth Cooper
Info:Gollancz (2012), Paperback, 360 pages

Trinity Rising by Elspeth Cooper

Elspeth Cooper's debut novel Songs of the Earth, has been one of my favourite discoveries this year. The book had many very familiar tropes and hearkened back to the old-school fantasies of my youth. Reading it gave me warm and fuzzy feelings and just made me plain happy, so I forgave the flaws I did notice. Its basic elements may not have been cutting edge, but Cooper wielded them with skill and managed to give them enough of a twist so that I really enjoyed the book.

Did Trinity Rising do the same thing Songs of the Earth did for me? No, not totally. Where Songs of the Earth was an unalloyed pleasure for me because of the warm fuzzy feelings it gave me, Trinity Rising had some elements that irked me, such as Gair's broody, angry behaviour, Ailric, and the opening gambit of Teia's story. But it is definitely a strong second novel - stronger than its predecessor in the writing and plot - and when I finished it earlier today, I was already wishing that I could read the next one. Because, be warned, Trinity Rising ends on something of a cliff-hanger. Still, I'm set to go with the next book in the series - so I don't have to hold my breath! ( )
  Jawin | Jul 22, 2018 |
Takes off from where we left off in book 1 and ramps up the pressure. Gair is mourning his lost love, Teia is trying to deal with her own abilities and her role in the world and Savin is spreading havoc and hatred as well as doing his best to subvert Gair and everything he stands for.

It's an interesting read, very much dependent on book 1 and the cliff-hanger left me gagging for more. Gair is starting to become a character I really care for and want to succeed but I can also see that Teia will have some pivotal moments in this world. And these are just two of the characters in this story, a multi-layered story that lingers. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 22, 2012 |

The future holds nothing but blood and death ...and Teia fears there is nothing she can do about it. Her clan is riding to war, but her secret, untrained gift of foretelling has shown her they are riding to their doom. If she cannot turn them from their course, her only hope of saving them will be to betray them to their sworn enemies. Gair is mourning his past ...but there is no time to dwell on his grief or hunger for revenge. Pursuing an artefact from the Founding Wars, he travels deep into the hostile southern deserts. As religious tensions erupt into bloody violence around him, he must make an impossible choice: save innocent lives or sacrifice them in the hope that thousands more can be saved later. And all the while, his grip on his powers is failing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:03 -0400)

As Gair struggles with grief over the loss of the only home he had known--and his beloved--he's walking into a conflict that's greater and more deadly than he or his mentor ever anticipated. A storm of unrest's spreading across the land, and they're going to be caught up in it at a moment when Gair's hold on his magic--his greatest defense and most valuable tool--is starting to slip.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,982,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible