Through the Door by Jodi McIsaac

Through the Door (edition 2012)

by Jodi McIsaac

Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:**
Tags:LTMG, Kindle, fantasy, fae

Through the Door (The Thin Veil) by Jodi McIsaac

Though the Door mixes urban fantasy with Celtic mythology and creates, well, a nice story. Cedar's daughter, Eden can open doors to different places eg Egypt. Although Finn, Eden's father,left before she was born, Cedar seeks out his family hoping for an explanation for Eden's ability. Then Eden disappears and Cedar must work with Finn's family to get her back. Turns out they are fey and Eden's rare talent makes her a target for the evil king of Tar na n'Og, the fairy kingdom. And if Eden isn't found quickly, he will kill her to take her talent.

As I said, this was a nice story. There is a lot of to-ing and fro-ing which seems to serve no purpose but to add length to the book. However, the characters are fairly well defined and the premise is interesting.

Take away all he unnecessary travel and the rather tepid romance and this story has potential. This is the first in a series. Hopefully, as the story unwinds further, it will become a much more nuanced and magical tale. ( )
  lostinalibrary | Jul 30, 2013 |
I was so disappointed with this book. Tales about the faery folk are one of my favourite genres, especially urban fantasy as this one attempts to be, but unfortunately it was lacking that magical spark. The author had done her homework on the myths and legends but the plot waffled on far too much for my liking. Secret after secret after secret made it become a nonsensical farce in my eyes. The writing style seemed quite juvenile to me and in need of polishing up. I so wanted to enjoy this tale but it wasn't as magical as I'd hoped. ( )
  kehs | Jul 23, 2013 |
This book is great, don't be put off by the cover/title! Full review to come :) ( )
  anyaejo | May 30, 2013 |
Well this is really interesting point of view for me as a fan of the Celtic mythology. Surely the author gave the Thuatha De Dannan more then their share of human weakness and dumbness.
Also the fact that the story start with the all the issues that a single mother face just give it more points. It was hard for me to see the treatment that Cedar got from all the other characters, like she was kind of weak minded or something. But the twist at the end was a sweet revange from her side, and it fit a great mythic story. ( and it wasn't the only interesting idea, there are more that have a potential to developed nicely)
But in spite all this it kept me captivated, till the end of it. ( )
  yahalomi65 | Apr 16, 2013 |

Cedar, Eden and Maeve have lived a relatively uncomplicated existence up to this point, with the exception of Eden's father running off and Cedar being left heartbroken... and then of course, Eden's new abilities.

McIsaac has nicely captured the interplay of modern invention with old world magic. This is one of the best examples of urban fantasy I have read in a while. It's a genre I should get into far more.

I would have loved to hear more from Eden's perspective and also from Maeve. As befitting the first in a series there are a lot of things here that can be built upon in subsequent novels. There's a lot to be said for foreshadowing and slow revelations though.

It's very difficult for me to review this novel without spoilers. The things you think you know are true, or at least presume all is as it seems, it isn't really. That being said, I'd like to know how the Druid gave up what she was for such a long period of time.

The action was enthralling, and you didn't know what was going to happen next. Nothing was as straight forward as it seemed. And oh, the twist! The suspense! Arg! It seemed like every time they almost caught up, they were gone!

I'd hesitate here, and put it in teenage fiction and adult fiction. Teenage for sure, but sometimes it is difficult to say what would tickle an adult's fancy. There is no erotic content, and the only things are heartbreak and suspense! Which every good reader is going to enjoy anyway.

I'm quite upset that it took me so long to get around to reading this novel. It was really enjoyable, and I'm really looking forward to the next in the series. I received this novel free from the Goodreads: Frist Reads program and the author went above and beyond to make sure I got a copy. This did not influence my review in any way, but I would recommend getting a copy of this book anyway - because it was a good read! ( )
  Rosemarie.Herbert | Feb 26, 2013 |

It’s been seven years since the love of Cedar McLeod’s life left with no forwarding address. All she has left of him are heart-wrenching memories of happier times and a beautiful six-year-old daughter, Eden. Then, one day, Eden opens her bedroom door and unwittingly creates a portal that leads to anywhere she imagines.

But they’re not the only ones who know of Eden’s gift, and soon the child mysteriously vanishes.

Desperate for answers, Cedar digs into the past and finds herself thrust into a magical world of Celtic myths, fantastical creatures, and bloody rivalries. Teaming up with the unlikeliest of allies, Cedar must bridge the gap between two worlds and hold tight to the love in her heart…or lose everything to an ancient evil.

Jodi McIsaac is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,441,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible