Through the Door by Jodi McIsaac

Through the Door (edition 2012)

by Jodi McIsaac

Title:Through the Door
Authors:Jodi McIsaac
Info:Inkwood Publishing (2012), Paperback, 306 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Tags:LTMG, Kindle, fantasy, fae

Through the Door (The Thin Veil) by Jodi McIsaac

I was disappointed by the writing in this book. It seemed like the author slept through the lecture where they tell all new fiction writers to "show don't tell." The descriptions and characterizations fell flat, which I noticed mostly at the beginning of the book, before I got caught up in the plot. This is the author's first novel, and it shows.

That said, the pacing was good and the story moved right along. I rushed to finish the book. I don't think I'll pick up the next in the series, though. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
Though the Door mixes urban fantasy with Celtic mythology and creates, well, a nice story. Cedar's daughter, Eden can open doors to different places eg Egypt. Although Finn, Eden's father,left before she was born, Cedar seeks out his family hoping for an explanation for Eden's ability. Then Eden disappears and Cedar must work with Finn's family to get her back. Turns out they are fey and Eden's rare talent makes her a target for the evil king of Tar na n'Og, the fairy kingdom. And if Eden isn't found quickly, he will kill her to take her talent.

As I said, this was a nice story. There is a lot of to-ing and fro-ing which seems to serve no purpose but to add length to the book. However, the characters are fairly well defined and the premise is interesting.

Take away all he unnecessary travel and the rather tepid romance and this story has potential. This is the first in a series. Hopefully, as the story unwinds further, it will become a much more nuanced and magical tale. ( )
  lostinalibrary | Jul 30, 2013 |
I was so disappointed with this book. Tales about the faery folk are one of my favourite genres, especially urban fantasy as this one attempts to be, but unfortunately it was lacking that magical spark. The author had done her homework on the myths and legends but the plot waffled on far too much for my liking. Secret after secret after secret made it become a nonsensical farce in my eyes. The writing style seemed quite juvenile to me and in need of polishing up. I so wanted to enjoy this tale but it wasn't as magical as I'd hoped. ( )
1 vote kehs | Jul 23, 2013 |
This book is great, don't be put off by the cover/title! Full review to come :) ( )
  anyaejo | May 30, 2013 |
Well this is really interesting point of view for me as a fan of the Celtic mythology. Surely the author gave the Thuatha De Dannan more then their share of human weakness and dumbness.
Also the fact that the story start with the all the issues that a single mother face just give it more points. It was hard for me to see the treatment that Cedar got from all the other characters, like she was kind of weak minded or something. But the twist at the end was a sweet revange from her side, and it fit a great mythic story. ( and it wasn't the only interesting idea, there are more that have a potential to developed nicely)
But in spite all this it kept me captivated, till the end of it. ( )
  yahalomi65 | Apr 16, 2013 |

It’s been seven years since the love of Cedar McLeod’s life left with no forwarding address. All she has left of him are heart-wrenching memories of happier times and a beautiful six-year-old daughter, Eden. Then, one day, Eden opens her bedroom door and unwittingly creates a portal that leads to anywhere she imagines.

But they’re not the only ones who know of Eden’s gift, and soon the child mysteriously vanishes.

Desperate for answers, Cedar digs into the past and finds herself thrust into a magical world of Celtic myths, fantastical creatures, and bloody rivalries. Teaming up with the unlikeliest of allies, Cedar must bridge the gap between two worlds and hold tight to the love in her heart…or lose everything to an ancient evil.

Jodi McIsaac is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

27 wanted2 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,716,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible