The Ruby Brooch by Katherine Lowry Logan

The Ruby Brooch

by Katherine Lowry Logan

I was not as impressed as many other reviewers with this book although I do believe that it deserved at least 2 stars because it was really well written. I think I had a hard time getting to know the characters. While they were developed great I felt that they were ot people that I would like. I have a love/hate relationship with time travel books and this one just happened to be on the latter side of the relationship. I found myself putting the book down several times and even thought about a DNF which is so unlike me. I am giving it 2 stars.

http://iforgot2tellya.wordpress.com/ ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
Kit and Cullen

Oregon Trail Wagon Train and time-machine jewelry.

I came very close to DNF, the only thing that kept me going was I was half-way through "The Last MacKlenna" when I discovered this book came first. Thought I should read before finishing the first book that I liked so much. There were facts that helped but I could have read "The Last MacKlenna" alone and it would have made sense except for a few little facts.

I thought Kit was too accomplished to be a believable character. ( )
  CC123 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Kit MacKlenna, equestrian, paramedic and modern woman extraordinaire, has just endured the loss of her parents and a longtime friend to an automobile accident near the family Kentucky farm and manor. Now, an old trunk with an old journal, a Celtic ruby brooch and a letter from her father among its treasures has revealed a most amazing story - not only were her parents not her biological parents, but through the mysterious time traveling magic of the ruby brooch, she was probably born and saved from a wagon train massacre on the Oregon Trail around 160 years earlier. With the power of the ruby brooch, she heads back in time to join a fellow wagon train in hopes of finding her true family heritage and meets up with the exasperatingly stubborn and handsome leader of the traveling group, Cullen Montgomery. The attraction grows strong between these two independent souls, but can the love of soul mates truly stretch across two different times? For those who enjoy and cherish the magic of a time travel fantasy with their romance, this tale is not only very well written, but also very professionally edited. Characters are well defined and the storyline is strong. At times, a bit too strong for me, but not for true fans of this genre. ( )
  kerryreis57 | Mar 27, 2014 |
Not a bad read. ( )
  Jilliancamp | Mar 6, 2013 |
Present day: Kit McKlenna is now the guiding force behind McKlenna Farms, a horse breeding ranch in Lexington, Kentucky. Having recently lost both her parents and her fiance in a car accident, Kit is at a low point in her life. She has her animals, her guardian angel (an older gent who has been with the family a long time), and her 300-year heritage to keep her company. But when she uncovers a box in her father’s study she learns that she is adopted – found on the doorstep of the farm in a bloodied blanket with a ruby brooch attached. The brooch is the key to her returning to the early 1850s and setting off with a wagon trail along the Oregon Trail to find her real family.

Along the way she finds love, excitement, and adventure when she falls head over heels for the wagon-master Cullen. Cullen is a hero that every woman can easily fall in love with! And Kit is his match in every way.

Strong characters, a wonderful plot, action that will move you from laughter to tears to laughter once more – and let’s not forget Kit’s use of modern medicine to save the man she loves – all combine to bring this first of three books to a satisfactory ending while leaving the reader wanting more. ( )
  AuthorMarion | Jan 11, 2013 |

As the sole survivor of the car crash that killed her parents, grief-stricken paramedic Kit MacKlenna is stunned to learn her life is built on lies. A legacy from her father includes a faded letter and a well-worn journal. The journal reveals she was abandoned as a baby 160 years ago. The only clues to her identity are a blood-splattered shawl, a locket with the portrait of a 19th century man, and a Celtic brooch with magical powers. Kit decides to continue her father's twenty-five year search for her identity, and solve her birth parents' murders. Scotsman Cullen Montgomery, a San Francisco-bound lawyer who resembles the ghost who has haunted Kit since childhood, helps her join a wagon train heading West. More dangerous than the river crossings, bad water, and disease encountered on the trail, is Cullen's determination to expose her lies and uncover the source of her unusual knowledge and life saving powers. Kit is convinced if she can survive the perilous journey and Cullen's accusations, as well as thwart his attempts to seduce her, she might solve the mystery of her heritage and return home without leaving her heart on the other side of time.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,616,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible