A Winter Dream by Richard Paul Evans

A Winter Dream (edition 2012)

by Richard Paul Evans, Fred Berman (Reader)

Member:KarynDrew
Title:A Winter Dream
Authors:Richard Paul Evans
Other authors:Fred Berman (Reader)
Info:Simon & Schuster Audio (2012), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Tags:Karyn

A Winter Dream by Richard Paul Evans

As I listen to more audio books I learn that they are all different in when one CD is coming to an end and the next one is starting.

I don't like the ones that repeat from the previous, I don't like the ones that there is just silence but I do like the ones that play a little music.

This story was modern day Joseph and his brothers. I thought it was well done and loved how I visualized the past Joseph with current. ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
A couple of years ago my book club read an Evans book around Christmas-time, so I did kind of expect this to be a fluffy book. It did not fail me in that regard, but I have come to expect that with most Holiday themed books. I think that Evans did a good job of creating a modern day story with parallels to the bible story of Joseph and the coat of many colors. He created very believable circumstances, which you don't always find in fluffy novels.

I think Berman did a great job of narrating also, helping to encourage me to continue listening with an acceptable amount of enjoyment. He really embraced the characters, encouraging me to love and dislike the characters that fell into those categories.

Joseph is a young, hard-working man and probably mostly appreciated among his other siblings by his father. This creates a tremendous amount of jealousy and turmoil between his siblings, and at the first opportunity they decide to cast Joseph into a life of exile. This sends him on a journey across the country that will help him to grow both emotionally and intellectually. The last thing he expects is to fall in love along the way.

Of course, several obstacles come up along the way, allowing him to grow from the challenges he must overcome. This was a nice story that I'm sure many people will enjoy. My biggest complaint about the book is that the dialogue drove me batty at times. With themes of family, forgiveness, and love, I think many fans of Richard Paul Evans will enjoy this book. I recommend this novel for Evans fans and those looking for a quick and fluffy read. ( )
  jo-jo | Mar 3, 2013 |
A modern story of family and forgivenss, reimagining the story of Joseph and the coat of many colors.
  SABC | Dec 5, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 145162803X, Hardcover)

The author of the bestselling phenomenon The Christmas Box presents a new holiday novel about family, fate and forgiveness.

Joseph Jacobson is the twelfth of thirteen siblings, all of whom are employed by their father’s successful Colorado advertising company. But underneath the success runs a poisonous undercurrent of jealousy; Joseph is his father’s favorite and the focus of his brothers’ envy and hatred. When the father seems ready to anoint Joseph as his heir, the brothers make their move, forcing Joseph from the company and his Denver home, severing his ties to his parents and ending his relationship with his soon-to-be fianceé. Alone and lonely, Joseph must start a new life.

Joseph joins a Chicago advertising agency where his creativity helps him advance high up in the company. He also finds hope for a lasting love with April, a kind woman with a secret. However, all secrets hold consequences, and when Joseph learns the truth about April’s past, his world is again turned upside down. Finally, Joseph must confront his own difficult past in order to make his dreams for the future come true.

A Winter Dream is an ingenious modern retelling of the Old Testament story of Joseph and the coat of many colors by the master of the holiday novel.

***

The #1 bestselling master of the holiday novel reimagines the classic story of Joseph and the coat of many colors, presenting an inspiring modern story of family and forgiveness.

The story I’m about to share with you begins with a dream. . . . Whether the dream was prophetic or the cause of all that happened, I’ll never know. But for years, I kicked myself for telling the dream to my father, who, for reasons I’ll never understand, chose to share it with my eleven brothers. —From the Prologue of A Winter Dream

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:09 -0400)

A holiday tale inspired by the biblical story of Joseph and the coat of many colors follows the modern story of Joe, who after being forced out of the family business by jealous siblings becomes the chief advisor to the CEO of another company and his own family's savior in the face of a troubled economy.… (more)

88 wanted1 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,324,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible