Dear Lupin...: Letters to a Wayward Son by…

Dear Lupin...: Letters to a Wayward Son (2012)

by Roger Mortimer, Charlie Mortimer

My parents just gave me this for Christmas. I was a bit taken aback when I saw the title. Message, Jim?

Anyway, it's hilarious, and I'm not given to overstatement. I really mean it. A brilliant comic eye and superb understatement. All terribly English. ( )
  Lukerik | May 15, 2015 |
The letters from the father are funny but there is certainly hints of despair at the son's behaviour. If you hate the politically correct world there's lots to laugh at. ( )
  PhilipKinsella | Feb 16, 2015 |
Hilarious - what more is there to say. ( )
  jon1lambert | Jul 23, 2013 |
This is my month for epistolary books. I've just finished [b:Lady Susan|91582|Lady Susan|Jane Austen|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328864949s/91582.jpg|2424548] and I'm reading this memoir told through letters from the father to the son, the author. I'm also reading[b:Philip Larkin: Letters to Monica|9625753|Philip Larkin Letters to Monica|Philip Larkin|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348968838s/9625753.jpg|14513023], another memoir told through letters.

This is hilarious. The father writes very dead-pan letters to his from the time he goes to Eton through all his years of not settling down to anything. An example of the humour:

This is from a lawyer (before he became a QC) and a judge:

Judge: "Mr. Smith, you are being extremely offensive."
Mr. Smith: "As a matter of fact we both are. The difference being that I am trying to be and you can't help it."

I read that out loud to my son and he said, "Someone ought to tell that to Judge Judy." They should too.
  Petra.Xs | Apr 2, 2013 |

Roger Mortimerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mortimer, Charliemain authorall editionsconfirmed
To my long-suffering parents,
my charming sisters
and my soul-mate, Tim.
Preface - A Tribute to Mr Pooter

This book is a tribute to my dad and a big thank you to him for never giving up on him despite my endless shortcomings, failures, disasters and general inability to live up to the high hopes he and my mother had for me, which, as these letters show, over time became slightly more realistic.

Roger Mortimer's sometimes hilarious, sometimes touching, always generous letters to his son are packed with anecdotes and sharp observations, with a unique analogy for each and every scrape Charlie Mortimer got himself into.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,009,272 books! | Top bar: Always visible