Information Cloud (Tales of Cinnamon City)…

Information Cloud (Tales of Cinnamon City) (edition 2012)

by Peter James West

21None491,852 (3.73)1
Member:Guide2
Title:Information Cloud (Tales of Cinnamon City)
Authors:Peter James West
Info:Peter James West (2012), Edition: 3.04, Kindle Edition, 221 pages
Rating:*1/2
Tags:Ebook, early

Information Cloud by Peter James West

What's great book! I do not normally enjoy post apocalyptic stories, but I really could not class this as one. It was more of a futuristic view of the future. Technology, food, security for The people and otherwise pretty normal lives for most citizens, except those of the security forces. The book started with a run, then slowed briefly to introduce important new characters and then blitzed away again. The characters were well developed and either like-able or extremely hateful, which made for an exciting read, rooting for your favourites. The book was well written and flowed seamlessly from one chapter to the next, making it impossible to put down at any point. The technology created in the book for the battles was mind boggling and frightening. The human is capable of terrible cruelties towards what they consider lesser beings. I am really looking forward to the next book. Really hope I don't have to wait too long. I really need to know what happens next!!! ( )
  Carolannhill | Jul 21, 2013 |
Information Cloud by Peter J. West is an action packed science fiction novel that takes place in a technologically advanced future where a decades old government is under attack by a terrorist organization called the Kamari. Cinnamon City is ruled by the Council of Lords which no one has seen for several years and they are under the protection of Central Command. The head of Central command, Gail Thompson has just sent a transmission to Commander Nick Chambers stating where the Kamari base is along with orders to attack.

Unbeknownst to Central Command the message has been intercepted by Riser Trent, a hacker working for the Mekinet News corporation. At Riser’s disposal is the information cloud which is a swarm of remote control droids that he can use to give himself enhanced powers and let him have awareness of everything that the droids sense. Riser’s new power has made him an enemy of both Central Command and the Kamari. A three way battle for Cinnamon City has begun and there may be no survivors.

Information Cloud is a fast paced novel that is hard to put down. It has a great story, interesting characters and the descriptions of all the futuristic technology is fascinating. I loved the explanation on how the information cloud works as well as the description of the equipment that they use such as the crocs, roaches, crab scanners and the bull rangers. The scenes where the Bull Rangers are tearing up the Kamari base were my favorite and I loved the way the Kamari deal with the problem

Along with the political commentary and great battle scenes. Information Cloud also has a good human interest story. Under Nick Chamber’s command is his former lover Rachel Henson. The couple has a daughter named Lisa who is in a building thats close to the battlezone. The two parents have to put aside their differences and decide how to save their daughter and follow orders at the same time. I enjoyed how the couple both come up with different solutions to their problem and both doubted that they made the right decision.

Another thing I liked about Information Cloud is how the author lets the reader decide who the villain is. Both the Kamari and Central Command have their good points and bad points. Neither side is presented as being good, the leaders of both organizations come across as uncaring and power hungry while the people in the middle of the battle are put in a sympathetic light.

One complaint that I’ve read about Information Cloud was that there was not enough backstory to The Cinnamon City government and the Kamari, but I think if the author would have focused more on the backstory it would have taken away from the action and the human element of the story. While there are political elements to the story, its more about the people who are affected by the two organizations and how they react to the world around them. Information Cloud is an excellent book and I can’t wait for future installments in the story. ( )
  dwatson2 | Jan 23, 2013 |
An improbable story full of weird decision by the characters with really bad tactical battles. ( )
  Guide2 | Dec 27, 2012 |
First the good:
Information Cloud flows quite easily. The dialogue is consistent and quite realistic. The characters are believable and not too two dimensional.
The technology presented for the future seems to be very plausible and I wanted to read more of it as I got involved in the intrigue. The action scenes were gripping although maybe a little too blood oriented. Overall a fun read that took all of an evening but kept me reading.

Now for the bad:
There is little background on Cinnamon City. The Main characters Rachel and Nick were a little cliche'd and some things appeared left out (her father for one; the bad guy family for another). I also found it hard to believe Rachel and her injuries and her battle in the basement.

If you are into Sci-Fi and robotics/weaponry as I am you should enjoy this little romp into the future.

Sam Hendricks, author Fantasy Football Guidebook and Fantasy Baseball for Beginners ( )
  slamhendricks | Dec 16, 2012 |
Sometime in the future, perhaps on an alien world, perhaps on a future Earth, one Nick Chambers, in his capacity as a commander of the Security Forces, leads a group of “crocs” – six-legged armored personnel carriers, against a Kamari base. Unfortunately for him, the rebel Kamari have been tipped off by hacker/journalist Riser Trent. Equipped with a powerful new tool, a swarm of networked drones, the Information Cloud of the title, he televises the assault for everyone to see. Accompanying Chambers in the assault is his old girlfriend – and mother of his child – Rachel Henson. And, for reasons official and unofficial, Admiral Gail Thompson of the Security Forces is willing to take extreme measures to shut Trent’s broadcast down.

The good news is that West’s plot twists and pacing reminded me favorably of S. A. Swann, and the battle scenes, while not as strong as Peter F. Hamilton’s, reminded me of that writer.

And West’s knowledge of cybernetics and artificial intelligence contributes to some interesting inventions. Specifically, he addresses the issue of how the sensory feed from hundreds of networked droids could be usefully fed into the human mind, and one of his weapons has an interesting and plausible Achilles heel.

Unfortunately, what is missing is the context for this story’s main struggle between the Kamari and the Security Forces. We are not given any idea of the issues at disputes or even, really, what type of government Cinnamon City has. Granted, West gives us some knowledge in a glossary and cast listing at the end of the story, but that’s not the place to do it in the first installment of a series. The fate of a couple of characters is left hanging at the end of the story which contributes to the feeling that this is not a story but the middle of a novel. And West’s attempts to depict the emotional life of Rachel and Nick are clichéd.

So, in short, while West has promise, I will not be reading more Cinnamon City stories. ( )
  RandyStafford | Nov 19, 2012 |
Now nobody can hide from the Information Cloud

Follow the fate of Riser Trent, Nick Chambers and Rachel Henson as they come to terms with life in Cinnamon City, a futuristic corrupt city policed by the overstretched Security Forces and constantly under attack from an organisation known as the Kamari.

When Riser seizes the Information Cloud he immerses himself in the full power of enhanced senses, augmented peripheral awareness, cloud awareness and freedom beyond his wildest dreams. In his mind he can fly, split himself into many separate pieces, and experience things like never before. But Riser soon finds that his new life is not only filled with joy and hope. Power breeds enemies.
Everybody takes. Everybody wants. Some must pay the price, in heaven or hell.The journey starts now…

Peter James West is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,503,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible