Ten Years on by Alice Peterson

Ten Years on

by Alice Peterson

I loved this book! The characters are so believable, the story moving, the conversations realistic. It features a couple whose son has ADHD and the problems that arise when they find they're expecting another baby. Very well-written. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
The prologue shows Becca with her student friends at a New Year's Eve party. Afterwards, she and her boyfriend Ollie and their flatmate Joe hang out for a while, wondering what they might be doing in ten years' time...

We're then taken ten years ahead, to a funeral. A tragic accident has shattered Becca's life and she has no idea how to deal with it. She goes to live with her parents for a while, meets some old school-friends, and then attempts to resume communication with Joe. They lost touch a long time ago.

This is a character-driven book, exploring themes of loss and grief, the rediscovery of love, family jealousies and ties across the generations. It also looks at the importance of following one's dreams. I found myself relating quite strongly to Becca as she starts to take charge of her life, trying to find out what she really wants to do.

The writing is wonderful, the characterisation good, with a few caricatured extras. The theme could have been rather morbid; but it's beautifully done, and a potentially odd supernatural element of the story feels realistic and encouraging. My only faint complaint is the sheer number of characters - I found some of the school-friends rather flat and lost track of who they were; they didn't seem to add much to the story.

Definitely recommended - I'd give it four and a half stars if I could. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Nice simple reading. This was easy enough to read over the course of an afternoon curled up on the sofa. It is a story that might be close to quite a few people's hearts. When you have a best friend it can be easy for your partner to be jealous, when that friend is a person of the opposite sex; then it must be all the more difficult. Add in to the equation that one friend is actually in love with the other, the challenges increase.

A book that is very well written with lots of thoughtful moments. There are times when you just want to bang Josie and Finn's heads together and actually Clarky's for that matter. The characters are so well described by Alice Peterson that you really feel like you know them, which for me is exactly what you need in a book describing relationships and the emotions that go with them. This was a pleasure to read because of its simplicity, realism and honesty. An author I would enjoy reading more from. ( )
  SmithSJ01 | Mar 23, 2008 |

Rebecca is happily married to Olly and content with her job at a glamorous London art gallery. But when tragedy strikes, she decides to move back to her childhood home in the country, hoping time will help her to heal.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,995,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible