Dora: A Headcase by Lidia Yuknavitch

Dora: A Headcase

by Lidia Yuknavitch

Maybe 2.5 stars. Like many here I read [b:The Chronology of Water|9214995|The Chronology of Water|Lidia Yuknavitch|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1336629501s/9214995.jpg|14094773]and was amazed by it. This felt like "more of the same" but not in a good way, sort of like I enjoyed Damned by Chuck Palahniuk but Doomed felt like I was being beaten up again for no good reason. Also I think I'm kind of over the overprivileged yet neglected child of disengaged vaguely moronic parents goes wild thing. Does it happen? Of course. Is it enjoyable to read about over and over again. No.

CydMelcher | Feb 5, 2016 |
It's been some days since I finished this, but I just keep thinking about it and how I want to read it again right now and I want to read everything Lidia has ever written. ( )
  earthforms | Feb 2, 2014 |
I enjoyed what she was doing with the language of self, the internal dialogue that humans have. Some of it was shocking but some of it was very eye-opening and moving. I don't know what I was expecting but it was definitely a feeling of expecting to go left and she led you right and vice versa. Dora becomes a stand-in for being stuck- in time, in apathy, in wanting too much. ( )
  Brainannex | Oct 25, 2013 |

Dora: A Headcase is a contemporary coming-of-age story based on Freud’s famous case study—retold and revamped through Dora's point of view, with shotgun blasts of dark humor and sexual play.

Ida needs a shrink . . . or so her philandering father thinks, and he sends her to a Seattle psychiatrist. Immediately wise to the head games of her new shrink, whom she nicknames Siggy, Ida begins a coming-of-age journey. At the beginning of her therapy, Ida, whose alter ego is Dora, and her small posse of pals engage in "art attacks." Ida’s in love with her friend Obsidian, but when she gets close to intimacy, she faints or loses her voice. Ida and her friends hatch a plan to secretly film Siggy and make an experimental art film. But something goes wrong at a crucial moment—at a nearby hospital Ida finds her father suffering a heart attack. While Ida loses her voice, a rough cut of her experimental film has gone viral, and unethical media agents are hunting her down. A chase ensues in which everyone wants what Ida has.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:38 -0400)

A contemporary coming-of-age story based on Freud's famous case study, retold and revamped through Dora's point of view, with dark humor and sexual play.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,133,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible