Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Americanah (edition 2014)

by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Author)

"A young woman from Nigeria leaves behind her home and her first love to start a new life in America, only to find her dreams are not all she expected"--
Member:TerraLaurel
Title:Americanah
Authors:Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Author)
Info:Anchor (2014), 588 pages

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Open City by Teju Cole (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: More reflections on an African immigrant experience
    White Teeth by Zadie Smith (Cecilturtle)
    Brick Lane by Monica Ali (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie (charl08)
    Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri (JuliaMaria)
    The Tortilla Curtain by T. Coraghessan Boyle (JuliaMaria)
    Every Day is for the Thief by Teju Cole (gust)
    gust: De Nigeriaanse grootstad Lagos is (deels) de achtergrond van beide boeken.
    American Spy by Lauren Wilkinson (viking2917)
    viking2917: Covers a lot of the same ground, but in the form of a Spy Novel
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz (sturlington)

English (208)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Piratical (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (226)
A powerful story of love, race and identity.

As teenagers in Lagos, Ifemelu and Obinze fall in love. The self-assured Ifemelu departs for America. There she suffers defeats and triumphs, finds and loses relationships, all the while feeling the weight of something she never thought of back home: race. Obinze had hoped to join her, but post-9/11 America will not let him in, and he plunges into a dangerous, undocumented life in London.

Thirteen years later, Obinze is a wealthy man in a newly democratic Nigeria, while Ifemelu has achieved success as a blogger. But after so long apart and so many changes, will they find the courage to meet again, face to face? ( )
  AccyP | Nov 1, 2020 |
As many GR reviews have commented, Americanah is about racism in America, and I found it very educational and effective on that topic. The use of the blog posts, which some readers found tiresome, I found to be a great method to introduce opinions and insights on racism to the text without making the author or the novel feel preachy. This approach allowed me to see the contrast between Ifemelu's intellectual development and her day-to-day interactions with the world around her. I actually thought the development of Ifemelu as a woman and as an individual to be as important in the novel as race. The blog posts were an effective method here as well as they allowed the reader to see the development in Ifemelu's ability to observe her world and comment upon it.

What didn't work for me was the degree that the story was so exhaustively narrated. You get the beginnings in Nigeria, Ifemelu in America, Obinze's life, etc. There is nothing not described, nothing left to the reader's imagination, no questions left unanswered. I continue to find this approach to telling a story disappointing and unsatisfying, but I realize many other readers probably enjoy it. ( )
  afkendrick | Oct 24, 2020 |
I really loved this book. The characters all felt real, with believable flaws and their own truths to tell. It definitely created empathy in me for both the immigrant experience as well as the black experience. While it sometimes felt like an indictment of America, it didn't feel too preachy, and Obinze's experience in England wasn't much different. (for that matter I expect much of the immigrant experience is the same no matter where you go - if you talk with American expats in Japan or Korea you hear entirely similar stories of how they are treated, for example). Pretty much nobody in the book was spared from having their foibles exposed :). And the book was often laugh-out-loud funny. If you enjoyed the feel of this I'd strongly recommend Lauren Wilkinson's American Spy, which covers a lot of the same ground but in the form of a spy novel of sorts. Also very good.... ( )
  viking2917 | Sep 25, 2020 |
I am not entirely sure how to feel about this book. The characters were diverse, nuanced, and well-developed, but none were particularly likable. Their experiences were engaging, but the reader didn't really root for positive outcomes, however those may have been defined. I identified with parts of the story from my own experiences--when Ifem spoke with her Nigerian friends, I could hear my Nigerian friends, when she spoke with the West African hair dressers, I could hear my West African hair ladies, and market ladies, and friends and neighbors. As a result, even though (despite being American), I couldn't relate to much of Ifem's time in America in learning the African-American experience, I had to believe it to be true, despite my discomfort in reading it. ( )
  sanyamakadi | Aug 7, 2020 |
just utterly brilliant and epic in scope, maximalist in ideas and imaginative and novelistic force; a real experience a little disheartening to read when attempting to write one's own novel haha, but as a reading experience, top notch. as an examination of american race relations and nigerpolitan identity, unparalleled. both an emotional and political act of education. i loved it. ( )
  boredgames | Aug 4, 2020 |
The stories have shifted, too. Nowadays, there’s little angsting about national identity in a post-colonial context or, for that matter, over catastrophe and want. Instead, a bevy of young Africans are shaping the future of fiction, reportage and critique on their continent, and perhaps well beyond.

“It’s beyond an evolution — it’s a revolution,” says Nigerian-American Ikhide Ikheloa, a critic and prominent observer of the scene.

It may have begun in 2003, when Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s first novel, Purple Hibiscus, was published — and not just by an American publisher but by a Nigerian one, too. By now, Adichie is the still-young doyenne of the contemporary African lit scene. Her recent novel, Americanah, found a perch on the New York Times list of top 10 novels of 2013 — just weeks before Beyoncé sampled one of Adichie’s TED talks on her new album.

Read more: Printed in Africa | Fast forward | OZY
added by elwetritsche | editOzy, Pooja Bhatia (Jan 31, 2014)

But what makes the book such a good read—despite an anticlimactic ending—is that it's not meant as a cultural criticism, but more as a series of rich observations.
added by WeeklyAlibi | editWeekly Alibi, Mark Lopez (Jul 4, 2013)

“Americanah” examines blackness in America, Nigeria and Britain, but it’s also a steady-handed dissection of the universal human experience — a platitude made fresh by the accuracy of Adichie’s observations.
added by ozzer | editNew York Times, MIKE PEED (Jun 7, 2013)

Adichie, Chimamanda Ngoziprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andoh, AdjoaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weintraub, AbbyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for our next generation, nda na-abia n'iru: Toks, Chisom, Amaka,

Chinedum, Kamsiyonna and Arinze

For my wonderful father in this, his eightieth year

And, as always, for Ivara.
Princeton, in the summer, smelled of nothing, and Ifemelu like the tranquil greenness of the many trees, the clean streets and stately homes, the delicately shops and the quiet, abiding air of earned grace, it was this, the lack of a smell, that most appealed to her, perhaps because the other American cities she knew well had all smelled distinctly.
...her relationship with him was like being content in a house but always sitting by the window and looking out.
How easy it was to lie to strangers, to create with strangers the versions of our lives that we have imagined.
She was taking two sides at once, to please everyone; she always chose peace over truth, was always eager to conform.
She rested her head against his and felt, for the first time, what she would often feel with him: a self-affection. He made her like herself. With him, she was at ease; her skin felt as though it was her right size.
She liked how he wore their relationship so boldly, like a brightly colored shirt. Sometimes she worried that she was too happy. She would sink into moodiness, and snap at Obinze, or be distant. And her joy would become a restless thing, flapping its wings inside her, as though looking for an opening to fly away.

As teenagers in a Lagos secondary school, Ifemelu and Obinze fall in love. Their Nigeria is under military dictatorship, and people are leaving the country if they can. Ifemelu - beautiful, self-assured - departs for America to study. She experiences defeats and triumphs, finds and loses relationships and friendships, all the while feeling the weight of something she never thought of back home: race.

Obinze - the quiet, thoughtful son of a professor - had hoped to join her, but post 9/11 America will not let him in, and he plunges into a dangerous, undocumented life in London. Years later, he is a wealthy man in a newly democratic Nigeria, while Ifemelu has achieved success as a writer of an eye-opening blog about race in America. But when Ifemelu decides to return home, she and Obinze will face the toughest decisions of their lives.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,528,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible