Spring Hope (Seasons of the Heart) by Martha…

Spring Hope (Seasons of the Heart)

by Martha Rogers

123768,668 (5)None

Another great book by Martha Rogers and her Seasons of The Heart Series. Once started I didn't want to leave Portersfield, TX. This is a return visit for me, and was great to be reaquainted with old friends. Although this is a stand alone book, I recommend reading the other three, as they are equally good.
We begin our journey as Libby Cantrell has literally dropped into this caring town. Sheriff Cory Muldoon stumbles by the alley, and see an unattended horse, and a bundle, which turns out to be a very ill Libby.
We find out she is fleeing her horrible father. Only because of what he forced her to do, she is ashamed...so she doesn't give her real name or what she is fleeing.
You see Cory start to have feeling, and his family, especially his Mom and sister's begin to love her. Cory though makes remarks about the woman working in a brothel, and Libby knows nothing can come of her feeling for him.
I love the faith of these people, and Cory is one who is struggling along with Libby. They both have to learn how to trust God and find forgiveness. I myself would have a heard time forgiving her father, what a horrible man, how could he do what he did to his child??
Love the ending of this book, and you will have to read it to find out if any or all are able to forgive? Enjoy a return visit with this great family, and town.

I was given a copy of this book by the Publisher Realms, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Jul 17, 2012 |
NOTE: I received a free copy of this book for review. The only thing asked was my honest review.

On that cold February, 1891 (the coldest winter night so far) as Deputy Sheriff Cory Muldoon patrolled the streets and alley's of Poterfield Texas, the last thing he expected to see was a bundle behind one of the stores. Knowing that the store owner was not in the habit of leaving anything behind his store he went to investigate and was surprised to find under a blanket, a young woman poorly dressed for the weather. A very sick young woman. After taking her to the doctor and remembering the look of fear in her eyes and the way she flinched at his touch, he begins to wonder just who Elizabeth Bradley is and was she wanted for or running away from anything.

As Libby Cantrell, Elizabeth Bradley's real name, starts to get better and finds out where she is, she wonders if she had gotten far enough away from her father, a father who had sold her into prostitution to be safe but as she starts to fall more and more in love with the people and the town and maybe even Cory, she worries that if the people find out who she really is and what she had done, could they forgive her or would they look down or her and shun her. Even more could she ever forgive herself for what she had done.

This was a very good book that shows how people and the way they act and treat others can make or destroy a person. If I have one criticism of the book it would be that in my opinion, the end of the book with the way the meeting between Elizabeth and her father and her and Cory was handled it could have been written a little better but this is a minor point and not enough to lower my rating.

NOTE2: If the reader disapproves of religion, especially the Christan religion in their stories, then this is probably not a book for them. While religion is not a real major part of the story, it is a big part. ( )
  Richhayes | Jun 24, 2012 |
Being a huge fan of western romances, I am always thrilled when I receive a request to review a book in that genre. Today was no exception. I received Spring Hope by Martha Rogers compliments of Christian Fiction Blog Alliance for my honest review and think this one was exceptional. This is book 4, in the Seasons of The Heart series and what's perfect is being able to read this one as a stand alone. I hadn't had the delight to read the previous three but now, I know I will be going back to pick those up as well based on Martha's ability to create a character readers can relate to.

In Spring Hope, we meet Libby Cantrell who is running away from a painful past. After her mother died, her father found that he could profit off of Libby's beauty and sold her into prostitution at the local saloon. When she tried to resist, he beat her into submission. Finally she find that by running away from her father she might be able to start a life over again someplace far away. Unfortunately, God had different plans for her.

Cold, weary and sick, Libby falls quite literally into the town of Portersfield, Texas late one night and Deputy Sheriff Cory Muldoon finds her behind the general store. Taking her to the doctor, she soon finds that every person she encounters in this small town offers her a second chance of acceptance. If she is only willing to share the truth and with that facing the judgement of the town, she falls back into hiding provides them with a false name of sort, Elizabeth Bradley, her real birth name but her mother's maiden name.

Cory Muldoon fears she is running from more than she is willing to let on, and struggles to find out just what that is. Searching wanted posters, he can't seem to locate the reason for the fear in her eyes and why she pulls away from those wanting to help her. He also can't seem to keep his feelings for her in the right place, when he fears that she may very well break his heart if he is honest with himself. Cory prays that God will lead him in the right direction and that He will guide him on his path to finding out the truth.

But when fate comes calling and a man shows up in town that knows Libby's past, will all hell break loose and cause Libby once more to run from a life that she believes God has placed in her path, or will she finally come to believe that God does care enough about her despite her own unwillingness to forgive her past and come to accept the life He has laid out in front of her? Guess, you'll have to pick this one up to find out the answers! I easily rate this one a 5 out of 5 stars and was able to finish this one in a matter of hours. I really is a wonderful story set in the late 1800's and has a powerful message about forgiveness and judging people. ( )
  ReviewsFromTheHeart | May 30, 2012 |

"Libby Cantrell's life has gone from bad to worse since her mother's death. After working in a brothel to support her abusive father, she sees no hope for her future until one cold winter night when she finds the courage to escape. When she collapses in Portersfield, Texas, exhausted, ill, and hungry, Sheriff Cory Muldoon finds her and takes her to the doctor. Against Cory's better judgment, Seth and Erin Winston take her in and offer her a job as a nanny for their young son. As a minister, Seth sees it as his duty to take care of her. As a deputy, Cory needs to know the truth about her even as he is attracted to the waif of a young woman. As Cory's feelings for her grow and winter becomes spring, will he be able to accept her as she is now and truly forget and forgive her sordid past?"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,137,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible