Robert Ludlum's The Janus Reprisal by Jamie…

Robert Ludlum's The Janus Reprisal

by Jamie Freveletti

Series: Covert-One (09)

In The Janus Reprisal, some nasty Pakistani terrorist types are aiming for total annihilation. The head bad guy is Oman Dattar, an especially evil warlord. After escaping from prison, he sets out to destroy New York with a virus that is conducted by bacteria. I’m not qualified to know if the science behind this makes sense, so I’ll take their word for it that such a thing can happen. Out to stop him is John Smith, the man with the generic name, but not so generic skills. He has a few others helping him out, but there is another staple of these types of novel—the typical CIA mole who is trying to help out the bad guys.

There is nothing especially wrong with this novel. It had a logical progression to it. There weren’t any big realism gaps. In these types of novels, the bad guys tend to be over the top and not believable, but I didn’t find that issue here. I also didn’t find anything that makes this novel stand out. It’s fairly generic. If you’ve read enough of these types of political/international terrorism thrillers, it kind of feels like all the rest of them. In a few months, I will probably completely forget everything about this novel. In all, this was a solid story, just not spectacular.

Carl Alves – author of Reconquest: Mother Earth ( )
  Carl_Alves | Oct 21, 2017 |
Jamie Freveletti has done a stand up job in carrying on the Ludlum torch in this the 9th novel of the Covert One series.

From the opening page with a terrorist attack in the Netherlands to the closing action in the subway of New York it's a gripping page turner with plenty of action and deception.

I might even go as far as to say it's the best of the series thus far. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Jan 3, 2017 |
Another nice read in the series, quick and easy :) ( )
  Lorune | Jul 6, 2014 |
Not as good as the other Covert One books but nevertheless I was very happy to discover that someone is still carrying the torch. Just hope that Gale Lynds is going to write more, his books were by far the best. The Janus Reprisal was more about prevention than about accomplished grand schemes, and the characters seemed less developed and different, but in places the atmosphere was unmistakeable. ( )
  Hana.Dooren.Richter | Sep 22, 2013 |
As is so often the case as of late, I will begin by saying that this book made its way to me as part of the Goodreads First Reads program at no cost. Despite that I will give the book my honest and unbiased assessment.

It's probably worth mentioning that the genre of this book is generally outside my area of interest. I'm not typically a fan of bang-bang shoot 'em up movies or books and so this read is a bit of a departure. Despite that I am at least somewhat susceptible to such concepts as drama and intrigue, though apparently not quite susceptible enough in this case.

Freveletti's offering is dramatic, drawn from the current day and goes to great lengths to excite her readers. To its credit it does this reasonably well but I can't help but recall that during all these efforts I never really cared. As the author points out in her afterword, the best thing about Ludlum's work was that you really empathized with Bourne and it was that feeling that she wanted to emulate in her own work. I can't say though that I ever cared one whit whether Smith lived or died or whether I even finished the book. It was only through an inflamed sense of duty that I bothered to read through to the end.

At least some of my consternation is no doubt drawn from the implausibility of the whole thing. Freveletti has used at least reasonably accurate scientific realities for her subject but the way in which they are used is clumsy and her depiction of action sequences is completely implausible.

In summary, it would seem that this offering is one of a protracted series that stretches back for decades but it completely fails to make me want to either read previous books nor look forward to future ones. It is merely a ho-hum contribution to the espionage genre. Perhaps those who have followed the previous exploits of Mr. Smith will find him more entertaining. ( )
  slavenrm | Apr 10, 2013 |

Jamie Frevelettiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Klaus
Lieutenant Colonel Jon Smith opened his eyes to see a shadowy figure standing at the foot of his hotel room bed pointing a gun at him.

With U.S. intelligence agencies wracked by internal power struggles and paralyzed by bureaucracy, the president was forced to establish his own clandestine group--Covert-One. It is activated only as a last resort, when the threat is on a global scale and time is running out.
THE JANUS REPRISAL
It begins with a terrorist attack. Covert-One operative Colonel Jon Smith is attending a conference in The Hague on infectious diseases, together with leading scientists and political figures from around the world. Without warning, the conference hotel is consumed in a bloodbath. Smith is caught in the crossfire and barely escapes . . . but not before discovering a picture of himself and two other targets in the pocket of one of the shooters.
But the hotel is not the only location under attack in The Hague. Bombs are going off at the train station, the airport, and the International Criminal Court, where Pakistani warlord Oman Dattar is being held while he's tried for crimes against humanity. In the resulting chaos, the prisoner escapes.
Dattar nurses a special hatred for the United States and its allies. With his freedom, and access to a mysterious new weapon, Dattar puts in motion a murderous, ambitious plot to exact his revenge and bring down the West once and for all--unless Covert-One can stop him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:27 -0400)

Oman Dattar, a Pakistani warlord being tried for crimes against humanity, escapes prison and puts in motion a murderous, ambitious plot to exact his revenge and bring down the West once and for all--unless Covert-One and operative Colonel Jon Smith can stop him.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,351,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible