Jan's Excellent Romance: Applesauce and Andy…

Jan's Excellent Romance: Applesauce and Andy (Volume 1)

by Lindsay Hall

322,001,085 (4)None

I received this book for free from Member's Giveaway. It was a cute G rated book. The premise is a young woman named Jan opens up her cafe and it seems she and her friends are good matchmakers. While Jan tries to straighten out her own life, she can't help but walk right into other people's lives and make magic happen.

For the rest of the review, visit my book blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/51940.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Dec 6, 2012 |
Jan's Excellent Romance: Applesauce and Andy by Lindsay Hall is a delightful novel filled with wonderful characters. Jan Duffy 's husband leaves her with little more than the car payments left on the car that he took off in. She opens a café with a staff of three including herself. Her best friend, Tiny (who is not exactly tiny or shy), is the waitress and Hank is the cook. Her first customer is Andy who is great looking, single and all around nice guy. Sparks fly and they enter into most unusual agreement. At the request of Jan's father, she hires her cousin Donny to work as a busboy. "He was a good kid but kind of a doofus. He didn't have a career path or a plan that you could identify with." Maybe so- but it becomes evident that there is a lot more substance to Donny than people think. Marian ( a librarian) and Professor Spofford Gaines always sat at different booths and stole glances at each other when they thought the other wasn't looking. Jan and Tiny failed in their attempt at matchmaking. However, it was Donny who surprisingly came up with a plan to unite the pair. Mr. Kilmartin is a widower who first came to the cafe alone. After a couple of mishaps caused by Donny's questionable skills, Mr Kilmartin was given free breakfasts for life and he starts bringing dates to the cafe. Especially endearing is Aunt Dorothy who is Donny's mother and Jan's aunt. She has an interesting history as well as a certain way of mixing up words "...like saying swing instead of sling." During a visit to the cafe she runs into a former classmate who suggests she adopt a puppy named Delilah. Even though there could be Board of Health issues, Delilah is brought into the cafe . Delilah and Dorothy become a pair. All goes well for Delilah until Samson (that is really his name) moves in next door.
This is a book about real relationships, caring, love and community. The author skillfully writes about sensitive issues and the reader becomes totally engaged with the characters. I highly recommend reading this book and I look forward to a sequel.
I received this book free of charge through LibraryThing and I give this review of my own free will. ( )
  SAMANTHA100 | Jun 13, 2012 |
For Heidi, Jason, Lori, Sevil and everyone at Five Forks Cafe in Williamsburg, Virginia. The food at Jan's Cafe should only be as good as the food at Five Forks (and its sister restaurant, Honey Butter's).
Monday morning, 7 o'clock, I hung the "Open" sign on the door.

Hi, I'm Jan Duffy. When I was 26, my husband ran off with the woman next door, leaving me with car payments and no car. No husband either, obviously. First customer in the door was Andy Hudson, a successful lawyer and hands down the best looking guy on Long Island. Lucky me, right? Not really. I have a God-given talent for taking a good thing and really messing it up. I'm good at fixing up other people's lives, though-at least I always thought so. But I had not yet met the parade of zanies that started coming to the cafe. The lovelorn, the ditzes, the screw-ups-and I mean not just my customers but my friends and my own relatives. So I'm trying to figure out my own life while meddling in everyone else's. Welcome to my cafe. Welcome to my life!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,877,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible