Shadow Creek by Joy Fielding

Shadow Creek (2012)

by Joy Fielding

English (6)  German (1)  All (7)
From Amazon:

There’s something deadly lurking in the shadows at Shadow Creek . . .
Due to a last-minute change in plans, a group of unlikely traveling companions finds themselves on a camping trip in the Adirondacks. They include the soon-to-be-divorced Valerie; her oddball friends, Melissa and James; her moody teenage daughter, Brianne; and Val’s estranged husband’s fiancée, Jennifer. Val is dealing with unresolved feelings toward her ex and grappling with jealousy and resentment toward his younger, prettier new flame, a woman with some serious issues of her own. Brianne is sixteen and openly rebellious, caught up in a web of secrets and lies.

What Val and her companions don’t know is that a pair of crazed killers is wreaking havoc in the very same woods. When an elderly couple is found slaughtered and Brianne goes missing, Val finds herself in a nightmare much worse than anything she could have anticipated. She was half-expecting it to be the trip from hell, but what she never could have predicted was that this impromptu little excursion.

My Thoughts:

In a nutshell...they were all immature and stupid...even the supposedly adults. The book started out to be about a possibly interesting murder. That lasted through the prologue. From there we had 1) a woman and her daughter going on a hiking trip with the woman's soon to be ex husband and his current affair. 2) a 16 year old girl dressed in white shorts and red high heels to undertake this hiking trip. 3) An older man/boy (we were never told exactly how much older but maybe 21 or 22), sneaking around meeting this 16 year old girl behind her mother's back and under her nose. 4) Park rangers finding this girls and her older boyfriend naked and having sex in the broad open daylight in the park close to the walking path. Okay...that's enough. Unbelievable stupidly. 2 stars and that was generous, believe me. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I agree with many reviews here, this book is definately not one of Joy Fielding's better novels. The characters are stereotypical and a little annoying, the story is not very plausible , the sociopatic couple on a killing spree is not really new (and some of the scenes are a bit too bloody and gory for my taste). An entertaining thriller and a fast read, but not more.
  Ellemir | Feb 1, 2016 |
Pretty good! ( )
  chrissilu68 | May 23, 2015 |
This novel had a shot.. the genre was stated to be mystery / suspense. The reader does experience some suspenseful moments, but way too late in the story, causing problems with the story's execution. My primary issue is that the entire first quarter of the book, and off and on throughout the novel, was the protagonist's obsessive description of her cheating husband. There was little to no character development due to this, which sadly puts this mystery/suspense novel in the chic lit genre. ( )
  steeleyjan | Apr 16, 2015 |
I’ve enjoyed Joy Fielding in the past, but this book didn’t do anything for me. The situation that sends this unconventional group into the woods is extremely contrived, and once I couldn’t buy into that, I had a hard time buying into anything else. I also got confused about which teens were actually the killers, and once I finished I wasn’t entirely sure if the confusion was intentional. There are a lot of spoiled brats in this book, which kept me from connecting with any of the characters, even Valerie. There are much better Joy Fielding books out there, such as Charley’s Web. ( )
  miyurose | Apr 14, 2013 |
"Es war eine dunkle und stürmische Nacht", zitierte Ellen den berüchtigten ersten Satz eines lange vergessenen Romans, der die zweifelhafte Ehre genoss, einmal zum schlechtesten Buchanfang aller Zeiten gewählt worden zu sein.

An unlikely group of campers including a woman, her two oddball friends, her teen daughter and her ex's fiancé embark on a trip in the Adirondacks only to be targeted by a pair of teenage killers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,509,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible