Being Jesus in Nashville by Jim Palmer

Being Jesus in Nashville

by Jim Palmer

611,268,033 (4)None

The first few chapters recount some of Palmer’s background. He describes an incident where he is trapped in an overturned car, convinced he cannot possibly escape alive. He talks about his great relationship with his daughter. And he also explains the idea behind the book, which was inspired by re-reading the classic Christian novel ‘In his steps’, from which the popular ‘What would Jesus do?’ slogan originated.

Palmer decides to write an up-to-date account of what it means to be like Jesus in Nashville in the 21st century. He makes the point that Jesus as a man was fully human and also fully divine; yet, in a human body was obviously not transcendent, nor did he know everything. He also points out that there’s more than one reference in Scripture to Christ living in us, and to his being our ‘brother’. Yet I couldn't help a twinge of discomfort in the way it was written.

Palmer decides to live his life as if he were Jesus for a year. He then ponders what that means. He tells his story in a self-deprecating and very readable way, as he tries some things which don’t work - and finds surprising hints of what it means to ‘be Jesus’ in other encounters.

I found the book compelling and inspiring, on the whole despite one or two reservations. Jim Palmer has gone further than I’m comfortable with in casting off his religious shackles and renouncing anything to do with the church. However he makes the important point that God made us as unique individuals, with our own strengths and weaknesses, and that our call is to ‘be Jesus’ in whatever situation we’re in.

Much to ponder, and a book I shall probably return to in future. Definitely recommended, both to Christians and those who are fed up with the church - but that doesn’t mean I agree with every word. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,816,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible