Forbidden (Hqn) by Nicola Cornick

This is the sixth book in a series, but no previous knowledge is required.

This was a bit hard to rate. On one hand, I felt the erotica was well written, on the other hand, several times a chapter I found myself cringing at sentences and squirming in secondhand embarrassment, which I think is derived from once again explaining far, far too much. A reader can infer a lot, and it's a lot less jarring to just allow them to.

It's also horribly cliched, all of it. The plot, the unsuspecting heiress, the hurt hero who can't love based on previous pain, etc etc. It's been done a million times before in regency, and sometimes a lot better.

But on the other hand, this book is hot, hot, hot. You just won't find me reading it for anything else.

This is my first book by Nicola Cornick, and it was intriguing enough to try another.

a copy was provided via netgalley for review. ( )
  lovelylime | Sep 21, 2013 |
eh. kind of trite and pretty blah in places. ( )
  librarydanielle | Apr 1, 2013 |
This is the last book of ‘Scandalous Women of the Ton Series’ and I am so glad that Ms. Cornick has offered it to her fans in full, rather than a little novella. This heroine deserved her own adventure and happily-ever-after.

Margery Mallon is a young woman who values her family even though all are earning their money by questionable means. Growing up a Mallon meant knowing how to squeeze that last penny out of every transaction made. But what she dreamed of was maybe, just maybe one day she might save enough money to open up her very own patisserie. She was in her element when baking and people around her loved to eat everything she baked.

Henry Atticus, Lord Wardeaux has been brought up since an early age to be ready to one day take on the title and all the riches that go with being Lord Tempelmore. However, the current Lord Tempelmore and his Godfather, has never given up on looking for his long lost granddaughter Marguerite Catherine Rose Saint-Pierre who disappeared many years ago and was the witness to her mother’s murder.
This story of rags to riches is nothing like Cinderella! This is so much better!

I enjoyed this story so much despite the predictability of it. Ms. Cornick is such a great story teller. She delves into so many facets of one’s character, that I came to like even the villain. Go figure!

The hero in this book is truly what one should be; a man who’s principled, passionate and kind, honorable and too sexy for his own good. I mean, here’s the man that stands to lose so much by this heiress, if she’s found, and he’s the one leading the search because he knows it’s the right thing to do. Once he finds her, convinces her of her identity and gets to really know her, he has a very hard time not falling in love with her.

The heroine must have been a hoot to wright. She is such a complex woman; innocent one moment and beguiling the next. For someone that has always been on the out looking in, she had a hard time believing the truth of who she really is. Watching her maneuvering and trying to reconcile a woman who is with the woman who now she should be, was as much fun as heartbreaking.

Everything in this tale is perfectly well written and there’s no way these two will not become one of your best hero and heroine. Ms. Cornick is great at plotting, pacing and giving us characters we’ll love to talk about for years to come. This story definitely gets my Five Quills for its characterization, the sweet, tender and sensual romance and for bringing back all the scandalous ladies of the ton. That’s what I call closing a series with a bang! Now I’m eagerly looking forward to the next book and the series from this talented author.

Melanie for RCJR eZine. ( )
  bookworm2bookworm | Jan 9, 2013 |
Author: Nicola Cornick
Published By: Harlequin HQN
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Blog For: GMTA
Rating: 4

Review:

"Forbidden" by Nicola Cornick was a good historical romance that I enjoyed. Forbidden" was the last book in the Scandalous Women of the Ton. This novel was definitely on that would draw you into the world of England complete with heirs, heiresses, lords, ladies and let's not leave out the heroes, heroines with all of its romantic fever. This particular novel was of Margery and Henry and it sort of reads like a fairy tale...with the heroine being very stubborn while the hero is so desirable. However, I did find this novel interesting and entertaining read that would keep you turning the pages till the end. I also found this novel somewhat predictable but it did leave you wanting to know just who the bad person was going to be. And this is where I say you must pick up "Forbidden" to say how this romance will turn out.

If you are in for a good historical romance you have come to the right place and I would recommend "Forbidden" to you as a good read. ( )
  arlenadean | Nov 26, 2012 |
A neat wrap up to Cornick's Scandolous Ladies series.
The characters are intriguing and well drawn, believable to a fault. My only "gripe" is the reunion of an ending. That felt a little forced to me but overall I thoroughly enjoyed this story. So sad to see it end. ( )
  faither | Sep 18, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373776675, Mass Market Paperback)

As maid to some of the most wanton ladies of the ton, Margery Mallon lives within the boundaries of any sensible servant. Entanglements with gentlemen are taboo. Wild adventures are for the Gothic novels she secretly reads. Then an intriguing stranger named Mr. Ward offers her a taste of passion, and suddenly the wicked possibilities are too tempting to resist….

Henry Atticus Richard Ward is no ordinary gentleman. He's Lord Wardeaux and he is determined to unite Margery with her newfound inheritance by any means—including seduction and deception. But when the ton condemns the scandalous servant-turned-countess and an unknown danger prepares to strike, will Margery accept Henry's protection in exchange for her trust?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:01 -0400)

"As maid to some of the most wanton ladies of the ton, Margery Mallon lives within the boundaries of any sensible servant. Entanglements with gentlemen are taboo. Wild adventures are for the Gothic novels she secretly reads. Then an intriguing stranger named Mr. Ward offers her a taste of passion, and suddenly the wicked possibilities are too tempting to resist. Henry Atticus Richard Ward is no ordinary gentleman. He's Lord Wardeaux and he is determined to unite Margery with her newfound inheritance by any means--including seduction and deception. But when the ton condemns the scandalous servant-turned-countess and an unknown danger prepares to strike, will Margery accept Henry's protection in exchange for her trust?"--from cover, p. [4]… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,375,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible