Land, A Stranded Novel (Volume 1) by Theresa…

Land, A Stranded Novel (Volume 1)

by Theresa Shaver

I enjoyed "Land (Stranded Book 1)" by Theresa Shaver even though it is more directed to a teenage audience. When the story flows well, I usually overlook grammatical errors, typos and added words throughout the story - like this one. It's a story of survival! A group of Canadian students are on a trip to Disneyland in the U.S. when there is a bright flash and everything electrical stops. One of the teacher's being a prepper was quick to realize the disruption as an EMP attack which fried everything with a circuit board and electrical current. The students discuss their options, vote, and then split into 3 groups who will try different ways in getting back home.

This book follows five kids (3 boys / 2 girls) overland as they attempt to reach Canada on foot or by using whatever other transportation they could find. The group appear highly mature and plan their entire trip with the use of a map and some extra money that the teacher offered. There are both good things and bad that occur enroute...the teens get wiser as time goes on. Unfortunately, the book ends prematurely and readers will have to purchase book 2 (I thought) to see the outcome. However, when reading about the next installment, I found that it will be about one of the other two remaining groups back at Disneyland; book 3 then follows the third remaining group who go into LA. Since they all end in cliff hangers, I found that I would not find out about the continuation of this first group until book 4. Surmising that the books will all end in cliff hangers, I decided to pass on the rest of the series.

I would have been more invested into the series if each of the books followed the three groups simultaneously in their quest to get home - their exploits continuing in the next installment. However, from reading the book descriptions, it even appears like book 5 ends in a cliff hanger thus requiring another installment for the story to continue.

Sorry Theresa, you had me at the beginning of this story, unfortunately, the dynamics of the series being what they are made me lose interest. ( )
  JPodlaski | Aug 1, 2017 |
[Theresa Shaver] tells a story of survival and how when the world collapses people can either rise up and do the right thing or become evil. [The Land] starts with teenager at Disneyland when an EMP hits and disables all technology. Luckily the students have a teacher who encourages them to get home although she must stay with those who won't leave. Home is Canada. The small group divides to those who choose to go by sea and those by land. This follow the trek aver the mountains and through an increasing panicking population to get home.

The plot was fast paced and well written and the characters were a mix of those you liked and those you wish would be eaten by a bear. In other words it was well balanced. ( )
  MsHooker | Oct 18, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,970,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible