Time and Again: Book 1 in the History…

Time and Again: Book 1 in the History Mystery Series

by Deborah Heal

time-travel, historical-places-events

Excellent novel for history geeks especially those who are parents. The plot is cohesive and very interesting, and the characters are engaging and well portrayed.
The audio is narrated brilliantly by Michelle Babb who truly brings it all to life. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Sep 20, 2017 |
Abby takes a summer tutoring job in a small Illinois town for her summer college project. Merrideth is a sulky 11 year old, struggling with her parents' divorce and overeating. While she's not thrilled with learning English and Math, History becomes real through a computer program that allows the girls to learn about the people who once lived in the house as if they were actually there. It's book one of a trilogy and literally ends with no resolution. I really liked the historical aspect which included a visit from Abraham Lincoln when he was a lawyer and the slavery battle. 3 1/2 stars. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
Since I'm always fascinated about time travel I was eager to read Deborah Heal's novel. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. This story is not about time travel, but rather a movie taking place on a computer screen. Somehow, the main characters in present day can watch and read the minds of the people who lived at Miles Station 150 years ago.

The relationship between Abbie and Merredith was well developed, the dialogue believable, the young teen's troubles authentic. It is also interesting to learn more about Lincoln's visit and the political climate of pre-civil war times. Otherwise, I found the story disappointing. Not just because of the superficial way of treating time travel, but because the plot is quite boring. We're never afraid for either Abbie or Merredith, not even Charlotte. The story plays in and around the house and the computer, the love story with John is slow to unfold. Word choice and dialogue tags were sometimes questionable which made me wonder if the author had a good editor.

The only reason I read to the end is to see if the time travel aspect was ever getting addressed which means better. Sadly that was not the case. I was also surprised about the abrupt ending without any sort of resolution, not even a cliffhanger. Based on what I read I wouldn't continue with books 2 and 3. ( )
  Annette_Oppenlander | Aug 31, 2015 |
Well, Time and Again is one of those novels that, when you start it, you really do not know what to expect and what you get is so much more than you could have ever imagined. I am relatively new to the genres of historical fiction and Christian fiction and I don’t always know what I am getting myself into. I sat down to read this book and honestly, I was worried that I would not like it, but I was more than pleasantly surprised, for sure.

Deborah Heal writes well-rounded, realistic characters that you can really relate to. Merrideth’s family struggles are something I could understand, as well as Abby’s desire to help. The plot was well played out, although admittedly, there are a couple (I think literally, there were 2 or 3) of perspective-shifts that were a little rough until you realized what happened and where you were in the story.

Once you were able to adjust to that, though, there were no problems at all with the flow of the story and I enjoyed every word that I read. I was able to read this book in just a couple of sittings, unable to walk away and having to know what happened.

I am anxious to see what happens with the characters and how the story develops further. If you are a fan of historical or Christian fiction and want to read a good, wholesome book that will make you think, then this is the story for you. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

Abby expected to spend the summer in the dilapidated old house in Nowhereville getting to know her student Merrideth.

She didn't expect to get to know Charlotte Miles, the girl who had lived there 160 years before.

She planned to tutor Merrideth in math and English--not history. But that's before the freaky program on her new computer started waking her with its invitation to "take a virtual tour."

It turns out a lot of stuff happened in that old house. . .and most of it never made it into the history books.

Time and Again is a story told in the past and in the future.  A story of three girls and their journey of self-discovery and faith.

"Abby Thomas is spending the summer in a run-down old house with a bratty pre-teen named Merrideth she is supposed to tutor. Not a dream job. But it does come with perks. There's John Roberts, a devastatingly attractive neighbor who is almost too wonderful to be real. And there's the new computer program Beautiful Houses--also too amazing to be real. No one knows how it works, but with it she can rewind and fast-forward the lives of all the people who ever lived in the house, including Charlotte Miles. In 1858, the house is a train stop on the Alton & Chicago Line. And Charlotte is stuck there serving meals to the passengers,??wondering if she'll ever get to have any fun. And then she meets two travelers who change her life forever. There's James McGuire with whom she falls in love. And there's his boss, a young Springfield lawyer named Abraham Lincoln. His debate with political opponent Stephen Douglas catapults him onto the national stage. And it inspires Charlotte to take up the cause of abolition."… (more)

Deborah Heal is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,432,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible