An Accidental Family by Donna Fasano

An Accidental Family

by Donna Fasano

721,138,814 (4)None

An AudioBook Review
Have you ever wondered why most romance stories are not laden with children, families and other assorted issues that real people face each day? Because we read to escape, we read to find potential in dreams penned of dashing heroes and damsels in distress, that hope for the happy ending. It’s a difficult balance, because we all have those groundhog days in our relationships, when family is the overwhelming attention grabber, and the time for romance gets pushed to the side.

Donna Fasano has managed that delicate balance in An Accidental Family and creates a story that both entertains and realistically portrays many of the situations faced in today’s relationships. Although Jonas and Robin are tossed into turmoil with the loss of family members and the responsibility of parenting their just one year old nephew, they also must learn to work together and deal with their own personal conflict while doing the best for young Tony.

While they are struggling with their own and the baby’s grief, the sleepless nights and the inevitable battles that all parents know, Fasano has also managed to give Robin and Jonas incredibly strong and well defined interior voices, some interesting and often humorous conflicts and dialogue that is real in tone and content. Both characters grow throughout the story, both personally and in their estimation and feelings for one another.

Beautifully narrated by Laura Jennings, you can hear her smile in the words that she is reading, especially in the parts that would strike a reader as humorous. A good combination of story and narration made for a perfect listen on a rainy and cold afternoon.

I received an AudioBook version from the author for purpose of honest review and feature on the Heard Word at I am, Indeed. I was not compensated for this review: all conclusions are my own responsibility.
  IamIndeed | Mar 29, 2013 |
This book begins when Robin learns that her brother and sister-in-law have died in an accident. She flies across the country to attend the memorial service for her last remaining family member when she receives a shock: she and Jonas, her sister-in-law's brother, have been named co-guardians of their 14-month old nephew, Tony. After a brief dispute, they decide the best course of action is a quick Vegas marriage. They plan to co-exist with Tony for 8-10 months before deciding who would be the better parent. Jonas and Robin have a lot in common. They are both career-minded singles with no intentions of settling down in the near future. I took to Jonas right away. He's laid-back, witty, and charming. He tries to make the best of a challenging situation. Robin, however, just was not a character I could like. She's battling her own past, but that doesn't excuse her complete lack of objectivity and humor. Jonas has to change his fun-loving demeanor just to get along with her.

The best part of this book was watching them become parents to Tony. I was much more interested in the little boy than his aunt and uncle's relationship. It's a very quick read with a little drama, a little romance, and a couple of steamy scenes thrown in to keep it interesting. I really enjoyed the plot. A more likable heroine would have made all the difference for me. ( )
  halo776 | May 15, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,593,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible