The Last Rhinos: My Battle to Save One of…

The Last Rhinos: My Battle to Save One of the World's Greatest Creatures (2012)

by Lawrence Anthony, Graham Spence

After reading the Elephant Whisperer I could not wait to read another of Lawrence Anthony's books. This book is best read after the Elephant Whisperer because it continues the story of the animals on and off the reserve and the many adventures related to them. It brought me back to our wonderful time spent in Africa and also feeling the shock and outrage towards poachers. We as human beings are actually guests stepping into the animal world when in Africa on the reserves and Anthony is very attuned to this truth. He is truly inspirational in working to protect and save these remarkable creatures. Knowing how to get things to happen in the "African way and time" is his greatest achievement. ( )
  Katyefk | Apr 24, 2016 |
As before, it was amazing to accompany Lawrence Anthony on his brave journey. ( )
  BridgitDavis | Apr 22, 2016 |
I enjoyed The Elephant Whisper more but still very much enjoyed this book. It ended up being more about African politics than wildlife but, sadly, that is the truth and needs to be heard. Lawrence Anthony was truly an amazing and dedicated man! Great, worthwhile read!! ( )
  becka11y2 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Excellent story-telling. This is a biography and an epitaph. The story is inspiring but yet sad. I strongly recommend the book. ( )
  GlennBell | Aug 26, 2014 |
Having recently read The Elephant Whisperer I had high expectations for The Last Rhinos and was not disappointed. It's a different mood though, darker and somewhat terrifying as Anthony travels to the Congo to visit The Lords Resistance Army in a last ditch effort to save the Northern White Rhino. Some of the things Anthony does are incredible, surreal, but it's a great insight into the problems of conservation in Africa and why the Rhinos and other species are endangered. Unexpectedly I gained a new understanding of the LRA that runs counter to their reputation as terrorists. So this book is somewhat more wide ranging dealing with rhinos, the politics of conservation, the conflict in Uganda and the LRA, with interludes back in South Africa including some wonderful stories of a 7-year drought; and the introduction of a new bull elephant into the herd. The book was published in 2012 around the same time Lawrence unexpectedly died of a heart attack so the epilogue provides closure and forward looking thoughts. For any fan of Africa wildlife (and who isn't) this and the other books co-written with Spence are superb. ( )
1 vote Stbalbach | Feb 17, 2014 |

Lawrence Anthonyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Spence, Grahammain authorall editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A conservationist traces his efforts to save the endangered White Rhino, describing the brutal region where the last fifteen were struggling to survive, the bureaucratic forces the author navigated to establish protections, and his work as a chief negotiator between the violent Lord's Resistance Army and the Ugandan government.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,385,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible