Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight by Grace…

fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
Lady Louisa is finally getting her man, not that she was looking though. All the sisters seem to be happy with what they have at the moment. Let' start.

There are secrets, but to be honest, the secrets in this series are all pretty lame. Though I did like her secret, that made sense with her choices. We learn it almost at once too. Joseph's secret, oh that was the lame one, I did not know why he even bothered with that one. But then this is not about secrets. For me these books are about romance.

Louisa needs a knight in shining armor and her widowed neighbor Sir Joseph comes to the rescue. They are already acquainted, but here they learn to know each other better, and fall in love.

The story worked (even if his secret was lame but he is a man so they are all silly ;). The love grows and I could see it. Sure it all takes place during a short period of time but still it works. And as always the book is light and so easy to read that the pages just fly by. You have to read on.

A nice historical romance(less) ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
Marriage before consummation? How (pun intended) novel... especially for the Windham clan. The mystery plot of this story was far more intriguing than the romance, and I wanted all that resolved, so I kept reading even when I should have stopped. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
Very fun book. Both Louisa and Joseph are something of social misfits. Louisa is very smart and honest to the point of bluntness. She has never learned the art of flirtation and as a result has found no match after eight years. She is ready to give up the search and retire to the country. Joseph returned from the war with a limp and a knighthood. He is very happy staying mostly in the country, raising pigs and taking care of his daughters. He's due to inherit a title and isn't looking forward to it at all.

During a local hunt, Louisa rescues Joseph from pursuit by several marriage minded ladies. They find that they have a much easier time talking to each other than to other people and a friendship is born. During a ball both are attending they spend some more time together, with Louisa giving in to her desire to kiss Joseph. The result is a surprise to both, Louisa never having experienced anything like it and Joseph liking it far too much for his comfort. Later that evening Joseph saves Louisa from a drunken man who seeks to compromise her.

In order to save her reputation, Joseph proposes marriage, first to another man, then to himself. He still feels she's far above him, but he's come to care for her too much to let her suffer. Louisa's reaction is typical of her personality.

While both look forward to their marriage, each of them has a secret that they fear could wreck their future. Those fears become stronger as both receive letters threatening exposure unless demands are met. But their growing feelings for each other create a need to confess all in order to preserve their marriage. In the end both secrets, the blackmailer, and the rest of the family come together in an outstanding conclusion.

I loved the way that both Louisa and Joseph were so perfect for each other. Neither one is particularly fond of society shindigs, preferring to pursue their own interests. Joseph has quite the poet's soul, often quoting it to Louisa. Meanwhile, Louisa had a marvelous way of sensing his needs, especially when his leg was bothering him. There were a couple of great leg massage scenes where she really surprised him. One of the things I loved most about both of them was their honesty with each other. Except when dealing with their individual secrets, neither had trouble being straightforward with their thoughts.

I loved seeing Joseph with his daughters at the beginning. It was obvious he loved them, but that he was also unsure of how to deal with them. Louisa's arrival at his home was great. I loved the way that she saw what was happening and fixed it. That first conversation with him about the girls was pretty funny.

The problem of Louisa's secret was pretty well dealt with. I felt bad for her that the problem was in part caused by her brothers' actions, and loved that they were all trying to help fix it. Louisa was the only one who knew about the notes she was getting and she was trying to figure out how to deal with them. I liked the fact that giving in wasn't going to be an option.

Joseph's secret was pretty interesting. The way it was spoken of at first was a bit disturbing, as I couldn't see a man as honorable as he is acting that way. I began to suspect the truth before the full story was told, and found it to fit perfectly with Joseph's character. He too was getting threatening notes from the same person and was trying to figure out a way to discover who it was. I really liked the fact that neither intended to keep their secrets for long. The identity of the blackmailer had a slight twist to it that I didn't see coming.

As usual, the secondary characters add a great deal to the story. I loved seeing her oldest brother basically get scolded by Joseph for the way that they had treated her when they were younger. The interactions of all the siblings are fun to see. I especially love seeing how their marriages are working out, having earlier read their books. None of them can compare to the Duke and Duchess. I love how their marriage is such an example to the others. The Duke's antics when it comes to taking care of his family can be pretty funny. I really loved the scene at the end with them and the Prince's envoy. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Apr 7, 2014 |
Match a poetry reciting, wounded soldier, pig farming hero (Joseph) with a heroine (Louisa) who is a mathematical savant and brilliant erotic poetess, and you get One Scrumptious Couple! ( )
  zannerina | Oct 21, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to my brother Tom, one of those rare people who can say the exact, kind, honest thing you badly needed to hear that you didn't know you needed to hear. Whatever your're dealing with, Tom can bring both humor and wisdom to the situation. Chicky, you were right: the peep-peeps do pop poo all over.
Sir Joseph Carrington acquired two boom companions after doing his part to rout the Corsican.

'Tis the Season for Scandal...

But Sir Joseph has secrets as well, and as he and Louisa become entangled with each other, their deceptions begin to close in on them both...

Years ago Lady Louisa Windham acted rashly on a dare from her brother, and that indiscretion is about to come to light. She knows her reputation will never survive exposure. Just as she's nearly overwhelmed by her dilemma, Sir Joseph Carrington offers himself to her as a solution..But Sir Joseph has secrets as well, and as he and Louisa become entangled with each other, their deceptions begin to close in on them both.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,030,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible