Roosevelt's Centurions: FDR and the Commanders He Led to Victory in World… (2013)

by Joseph E. Persico

Explains how Franklin D. Roosevelt assumed the role of a hands-on wartime leader, discussing his contributions to military strategy and analyzing how his decisions may have helped end or prolonged the war.

This is WWII from 80,000 feet. A good survey of the major personalities and conflicts with emphasis on the political side of war and governing through war. Extremely well written. If you are a casual history fan you may come away from the read with a different view of many of the main players you thought you knew as Persico feels no need to polish personalities that do not deserve polishing. FDR's personal battles and brilliance are on full display, as is Churchill's maneuvering to protect his beloved Britanica's parochial interests. As I said, extremely well written and enjoyable in every respect.

PCHcruzr | Oct 7, 2019 |
A good overview of FDR's choices for and relationships with his admirals and generals. Some factual glitches on the navy side; gun sizes and locations but they do not distract much from the flow. Well, read by Dan Woren. The final disc is an excellent summary of the critical leadership role played by FDR in WW2. ( )
  jamespurcell | Dec 10, 2016 |
  jamespurcell | Sep 18, 2016 |
Really enjoyed the book content, and the narrator was excellent. It covered the histories of many of FDR's Generals and top men, and FDR himself, from cradle to grave, but also was a general description of WWII and major war events. There was quite a bit of the history-focused events - maybe that was just to tie the connections from general to general, but it ended up being a book covering many many topics (and, yes, was long). I enjoyed it and I think anyone who likes books on WWII will - however, like me, probably many readers would think that the war description stuff could be left out since it only covered brief descriptions. I found the in depth histories of the generals and FDR the best. ( )
  marshapetry | Nov 11, 2015 |
My expectation for this book, based upon publicity blurbs and publisher summations was for something along the lines of Doris Kearns Goodwins’ A Team of Rivals. What I got instead was a rather thin summation of World War II. Certainly, as FDR was one of the three or four most important figures in the war, and the only one that really straddled both theaters, he was the primary focus. As any such summation would have to include sections on Marshall, King, Arnold, MacArthur and Eisenhower, to infer that the focus of the book is anything other than a broad overview of the war is deceptive.

As a very general overview of the war, it is not bad; however, I’ve read many, more detailed accounts, so I can’t say that I learned anything new from having read this book. ( )
  santhony | Oct 26, 2015 |

Joseph E. Persicoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Montgomery, JoeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,721,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible