The Bridegroom Wore Plaid by Grace Burrowes

The Bridegroom Wore Plaid

by Grace Burrowes

Series: MacGregor Series (Dec 2012 - book 1)

This was my first ever adult romance. It was a lot more racy than I had anticipated. That would have gotten old fast if it weren't for the characters and the plot. I was actually surprised that the plot was engaging and not completely see through. Of course, I knew in the end that the main characters live HEA but how that get there was surprising, due to the plot twists. The characters were also well rounded and not stereotypical. The women had some brains; the men weren't just lusting after everything in sight. They had some scruples.
Read in an afternoon, I probably won't be reading many more this year but when I'm looking for well-written happy endings, this would be my go-to author. ( )
  HunyBadger | Jul 6, 2017 |
The Bridegroom Wore Plaid
4 Stars

As Laird of a land rich but cash poor clan, Ian MacGregor must marry an heiress. His chosen bride would rather be ruined that consent to be his, while her impoverished cousin, Augusta, is everything Ian could want in a wife. Drawn together despite their circumstances, Ian and Augusta will have to defy social convention and survive the machinations of a malicious madman with murder on his mind.

Too many characters and too many storylines detract from an otherwise engaging romance and a solid suspense plot.

The beginning is long and tedious mainly due to the necessity of introducing the numerous characters and their connections to one another. The pace picks up 1/3 of the way through and the primary romance between Ian and Augusta is ultimately steamy and satisfying. Unfortunately, the secondary romances do not fare as well, as the relationships are underdeveloped and the characterization is lacking.

The subplot surrounding a nefarious relative’s homicidal plans for Augusta is thrilling albeit predictable, and the villain is suitably despicable although keeping his identity a secret for longer might have ratcheted up the suspense a notch.

All in all, an enjoyable story despite its problems and I will continue with the series.

On a final note, Mary and Matthew’s story, which receives the least page time, is the focus of a novella. Not being a fan of short stories and not being that interested in this couple, means that I’ll skip ahead to the next full length novel in the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
ahhhh.
I really wanted to love this because I have this thing with Trilogies involving families. I did not love it but I liked it and will probably read the rest once I get some of these other books off my TBR shelf. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
Grace Burrowes has a new series out, one with sexy Scots in it, and who am I to say no to that? ;)

Ian is in need of a wife, a very rich wife. He is a good guy and all that, but to support his people he needs money. I do feel sorry for him, as we know from the start that she is sure not the one he is going to want. No, the pretty young girl has her spinster cousin Augusta with her. Ok so here I think, why go for the older spinster? Well the rich girl in question hides in her room and does not want marriage. While Augusta is near and nice. They fit so good together, they can talk, but yes that dark cloud hangs over them. He needs money.

There is another thing in this book (besides the when when when! They must be together), that makes it thrilling. Augusta's uncle is a real piece of work, I just grew more and more angry with him. Grrr, you'll see.

And on top of that there are more hint of romances in this one. Yes passion afoot everywhere. Which made it fun. Whether those will get happy endings or not I will not say, cos I am evil that way ;)

A good romance with a hint of suspense and mystery ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
English/Scottish story. Ian needs to marry a rich Englishwoman to save his family's holdings, so they hold a summer house party for Augusta's family. Augusta is a poor spinster, who is chaperoning the potential bride. Only Genie loves Ian's brother Gil, the other chaperone falls in love with Conner and the greedy uncle is trying to kill everyone off to get his hands on money ( )
  nancynova | Sep 24, 2015 |

Grace Burrowesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hampton, RogerReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the families of Scottish emigrants, both those who left home and those left behind. Also to my great-grandfather, John MacDonald, who left home at age thirteen to make his way in the New World as best he could. The New World—no the whole world— is richer for Scotland's losses.
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single, reasonably good-looking earl not in possession of a fortune must be in want of a wealthy wife.

His Family or His Heart — One of Them Will Be Betrayed...

Ian MacGregor is wooing a woman who's wrong for him in every way. As the new Earl of Balfour, though, he must marry an English heiress to repair the family fortunes.

But in his intended's penniless chaperone, Augusta, Ian is finding everything he's ever wanted in a wife.

Forced to marry for money to save the family estate, the Earl of Balfour devises a strategy to win the heart of Genie Daniels, a rich English heiress, until he meets her poor cousin Augusta, forcing him to choose between family duty and love.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,017,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible