One Wrong Move by Shannon McKenna
8310145,226 (4)None

x ( )
  Janicemo | Nov 7, 2016 |
Absolutely loved it! Romantic Suspense at it's best, throw in a little paranormal and it had me completely hooked! I couldn't for the life of me stop reading it! There is action from the very first pages and it doesn't stop until the very end.

Nina's life completely changes when she's accosted on the street and injected with an unknown drug by an old family friend. Her best friend sends Alex Aaro to help her, even though he resists being drawn into Nina's mess at first. I loved Nina, she is a wonderful character. A survivor of childhood abuse, she has perfected the art of going unnoticed. She is smart and resilient, and doesn't put up with any of Aaro's crap.

Alex Aaro is without a doubt my new favorite alpha-type male, and he's got bad boy down to an art. He started the book out pretty much being a jerk, but the farther you read into the book the more you see why he's so messed up, his back-story was so heartbreaking. On top of all that, he was incredibly sexy and funny, and it doesn't take too long to see through all his tough guy talk.

The romance between Aaro and Nina is perfect, yeah it happens fast, but with all of the near-death experiences they have together I think it was completely believable. Not only do they immediately click but it is apparent throughout the book that they just "get" each other better than anyone else. I think it's the sign of an excellent author when they can make something that would normally be unbelievable into something completely understandable and realistic.

There is a paranormal aspect to this book which I thought was really cool, a new drug that enables the user to have different psychic abilities which vary depending on the user's natural abilities. It brought a creepy aspect to the book and made the villains even scarier.

I really loved this book, and although I hadn't read any of the other books I didn't have any problem jumping right in. I didn't realize that this was a series until after I started reading it, so now I'm looking forward to reading all of the previous titles. This book had me engaged in the story throughout and I would thoroughly recommend any lovers of romantic suspense (or even paranormal/contemporary) to read it! ( )
  Chrystina.Williams | Dec 4, 2015 |
This book was free from Library Thing to read and review. This was the first book by Shannon McKenna that I have read. I am not quite sure whether I liked this book or not. The mind control/mad scientist premise that underlies the whole plot was a bit difficult to get into. However, the author has done an excellent job of producing a fast paced novel that grabs the reader's interest from the get-go. Alex Aaro jumps into an adventure when a friend enlists his assistance with a social worker who is hospitalized because is injected with some mysterious substance by a woman babbling in a foreign language. Not only is he tied up with this woman who guards a secret that a telepathic, mind controlling group who would like to keep the drug and its power secret, but he has is usual familial intrusions/problems. The story moves along fairly quickly, as I said, definitely engaging the reader. However, I think I may have understood and followed storyline better had I read other books in the series. In addition to the fast action and this crazy group who are chasing after this social worker to keep her from spewing their secret, Alex and this woman are drawn to each other, and there is some great chemistry between them. This definitely was a different sort of book from those I normally read, but it was interesting and fast paced. ( )
  KMT01 | Jun 26, 2013 |
So I have to confess that these suspense/romance/erotic novels have become my secret guilty pleasure. I love soaking in the tub and slipping between the pages. This book started a little slow but things heated up quickly. I don't want to give away the plot as other readers have outlined the story. I agree with others that the plot line was a little thin/far fetched, but that was part of the fun of reading this book.
I won this in a good-read giveaway. ( )
  wherewildthingreads | Jun 19, 2013 |
I am finding the inclusion of mind control in yet another of these books to be a bit much. See my full review http://www.dnsmedia.co.uk/reviews/bookreviews/1166 ( )
  AnneHudson | Mar 2, 2013 |

When a ruthless crime syndicate wants social worker Nina Christie to disappear, her only chance to survive is with Alex Aaro. Alex Aaro's crazy Aunt Tonya is dying. She's the sole family member he gives a damn about, enough to blow decades of hiding out from his Ukrainian mafia clan in order to say goodbye. Social worker Nina is baffled by the sudden appearance and bizarre behavior of her own aunt, and afraid she'll get herself killed if she makes a wrong move. But when the woman's attackers turn on Nina, only Alex's lean muscle and seething bad attitude stands between her and an ugly death. Now, Alex and Nina are on a wild ride with a deadly secret... and a white hot passion that binds them together...… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Shannon McKenna's book One Wrong Move was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,937,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible