Tempting the Bride by Sherry Thomas

Tempting the Bride

by Sherry Thomas

Series: Fitzhugh Trilogy (3)

Oh this book... I was drawn to the "amnesia" gimmick because I've yet to encounter it in historical romance. And I've so many good things about Sherry Thomas that I thought it'd be a good introduction. Yeah... Not so much.

Now, don't get me wrong. The romantic element and the emotional appeal was there. And of course, as I've written many a time, that's the most important element to a historical romance novel for me. I did enjoy David's dedication to his love, despite her abhorrence for him, and I also enjoyed Helena's learning to love him back during her amnesia trip. I also enjoyed seeing David's dedication to his daughter and Helena's independence as a business owner.

Unfortunately, my enjoyment pretty much ended there. First off, general characterization was just everywhere. Especially in David's case, he seemed to swing back and forth from the cad to the caring all the time, with almost no transition. It almost seemed like two men in one body. And jeez, when was he going to learn that razzing the girl you love isn't going to win her admiration?! Yeah, I could see that as a kid, but as a full grown adult?! Forgive me if I feel that maturity and experiencing the world would have put some of that out of him.

Then there was the over reliance on sex as a story staple. And some of the sexual acts in this book have no place in a Victorian romance novel. They are far too adventurous for a late 19th century book; I couldn't picture either of these two individuals even contemplating, long less participating, in them. It also seemed like sex was constantly on the mind of Helena and David. Not ten pages would go by without some mention of a sexual act or sexual urges. And yes, I know, this is historical ROMANCE and they're known for smutty stuff. But come on!! When it overshadows the story and emotions, it's too much.

This is definitely not the introduction to Sherry Thomas I was looking for. While the all important emotions were there and I did enjoy some of the character aspects, the story relied far too heavily on sex/sexual tension and characterization in general was just horrible. I wouldn't recommend this historical romance to anyone. There are far better romances out there, folks.

Note: Book received for free through GoodReads FirstReads program in exchange for honest review. ( )
  Sarah_Gruwell | Jan 13, 2016 |
3.5/5
Not really Sherry's best book, but I still quite enjoyed it. After some consideration I don't think I'll be reviewing it. After build-up of tension between Hastings and Helena in previous books, the solution to their animosity felt like a cope out, which left me quite disappointed. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
3 estrellas por la trama pero 5 por la pareja principal ! Amé los diálogos y las contestaciones que se tiraban como medio de batalla ...

Reseña mas completa pronto
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Tempting the Bride is the final volume in Sherry Thomas’ Fitzhugh trilogy (there are, however, two novellas and an erotic story, which are also part of it and none of which I have read yet). As I have pointed out in my post on the first volume of the trilogy, I consider her novels to be on the borderline between “deep” and “Wallpaper” historicals and Tempting the Bride is no exception from that.

Regarding my uncertainties pertaining to the novel as part of a trilogy which I had when reading Beguiling the Beauty, I have to say that they never got quite resolved – Tempting the Bride suffers from the symmetrical problem, i.e. a large part of the previous relationship between David and Helena was already spread out in the two previous problem, so it feels in parts like that is getting a bit of the short shrift here, in particular where Helena’s history with Andrew is concerned. And on the other hand, one really would have liked (well, this reader would have, in any case) to read more about how the couples from the two previous volumes are faring – they do make appearances here, but not nearly as much as Millie/Fitz and Helena/David did in the first volume, or Helena/David in the second, which means that by this third volume we’re back to the conventional model of recurring characters rather than the genuine trilogy as which this started out. Which is a bit of a pity.

I admit, I was frowning a lot about the amnesia at first – that’s about the most tired plot device ever and hardly ever works the way it is supposed to. This here proved to be one of the few exceptions however, and while I still am not exactly enthusiastic about it and think it’s more than a bit contrived, Sherry Thomas handled it quite well as a reboot of Helena’s and David’s relationship and also made a very nice point about how past experiences colour present perceptions. Bea was a nice touch, too, sweet but not cloying, and thinking back on the novel, I think it’s mostly the nice touches which made it enjoyable read – the plot is nothing to write home about, the characters okay but not really that fascinating, but it is the wealth of lovely details that made the most impression and will likely stick in memory – Hasting’s murals, the tiny stethoscope, Bea’s trunk and many others. In short, Tempting the Bride may not be Sherry Thomas’ best effort, but it’s a quite pleasurable read that kept me effortlessly entertained for several hours.
  Larou | Nov 11, 2014 |
I love the premise and plot-line of this book, but am disappointed in the final product. In her earliest books the author spoiled readers, with the lush verbiage of a true philologist. That love of words is not apparent here. Too bad, as I believe this book would have been a heart-wrenching winner. ( )
  Conkie | Oct 27, 2013 |

Sherry Thomasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sterlin, JennyReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ivy Adams,
for your limitless generosity and awesomeness
PROLOGUE
January 1896
David Hillsborough, Viscount Hastings, had never been in love.

When he elopes with Helena Fitzhugh, who has despised him since they were children, to save her reputation, Viscount Hastings gets a second chance to prove his love after a carriage accident robs Helena of her memory.

Sherry Thomas is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,022,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible