Making Life Matter: Embracing the Joy in the…

Making Life Matter: Embracing the Joy in the Everyday

by Shane Stanford

421,664,912 (4.5)None

The author of this book has had to overcome some amazing life-changing challenges that were pretty early on in his life. But, he chose to choose life and happiness. This book chronicles his life-choices along with other famous people who have had struggles and chose to rise above rather than give up. People like Felix Mendelssohn, Gilda Radner, Zacchaeus, and Don Sutton (baseball pitcher) are featured throughout the book and give you a glimpse into a life you didn't realize happened before the "good stuff" arrived in their lives. Each chapter focuses on a different mind-set and challenges you through Scripture and deep, thought-provoking questions, to think differently.

When I saw the premise of the book, I thought, that is my life. Is all this that I am doing...the craziness, the volunteering, the unending to-do lists.....does it all matter? Is it really getting me anywhere? Is there JOY in my everyday living? Well, this book will bring it all together for you. And, as this book will explain to you, if you are going to take this trip through life and make it matter, Jesus needs to be along side of you.

Some excellent quotes from the book:

"We are not measured by the events that surround us. No, we are measured by what we do with those events, circumstances, and situations and by whether we allow them to get the best of our journeys or whether we make each moment of each day mean something more." Pg 6

"We do have a choice.....in making that choice each day, we give ourselves a chance to make life matter." Pg 12

This quote was one of those "AHA" statements for me, and maybe it will be for you too....

"God's goal is to bring us closer, not to send us on some game of theological hide-and-seek. He wants us to find Him, and then find each other through Him." Pg 53

Finally, another of my favorite parts of the book was Stanford's focus on THE LORD'S PRAYER. For so many of us, it is basically a prayer from memory, but when was the last time you actually thought about the words you were saying.....not just speaking them from memory. Stanford breaks the sentences down for us and gives us a beautiful reflection on the prayer.

This book isn't added work, it is bite-size and manageable in your everyday schedule to ponder, reflect, and really think about what matters. If you are looking for direction or focus, check out MAKING LIFE MATTER by Shane Stanford today. You can purchase the book HERE.

"One way or another, by your action or inaction, you define your journey. Wouldn't you rather it be for the better, making a difference that can change your little piece of the world?" Pg 16 ( )
  Staciele | May 24, 2012 |
Are you really living your life to the fullest? While you ponder this question, let author Shane Stanford take you on a journey of self-discovery, where you will learn to Make Life Matter and Embrace The Joy In The Everyday!

Making Life Matter is a thought provoking book full of inspirational chapters to guide you through your self-discovery and personal growth towards living your life to the fullest. In a thoughtful way, author Shane Stanford provides the reader with a lot of inspirational insight to reflect upon: each chapter begins with a selected scripture, interesting stories to ponder, and each chapter ends with journey points: selected scripture readings for each day of the week; life questions; and a prayer.

Highlights of the chapters that are inspirational and motivational:
"We are not measured by the events that surround us. We are measured by what we do with those events, circumstances, and situations and by whether we allow them to get the best of our journeys or whether we make each moment of each day mean something more."

"Making choices in your life: we do have a choice. It is not always an easy choice. It is not always the desired choice. And it is definitely not always the certain choice. But in making that choice each day, we give ourselves a chance to make life matter."

"Choose each day to make it count. Every day is an opportunity."

"Life matters because we make it so. Life is about perspective and perception. We shape how we view the details, decisions, and demons that life blows our way. The key is whether we see what sails heavenward as something to celebrate or we see what lands upon as as something to fear. We have the choice to make either so."

The author provides principles to making life matter to motivate you as you go along your journey. These principles are geared toward all aspects of your life: relationships, choices, communication, direction and faith, just to name a few.

Making Life Matter is a short inspirational and motivational book that you can easily reference back to on a daily basis. The principles and motivational prompts are easy to relate to, and will provide enough food for thought for a daily devotional or weekly study group.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the publisher (Abingdon) in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event.

Virtual Book Tour Event: On Friday, May 18, 2012, in association with Pump Up Your Book! Virtual Book Publicity Tours, author Shane Stanford participated in a virtual book tour event with an Author Guest Post on Jersey Girl Book Reviews.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/05/making-life-matter-by-shane-st... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | May 18, 2012 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,106,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible