The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson

The Emperor's Soul (edition 2012)

by Brandon Sanderson

Member:v_clortho
Title:The Emperor's Soul
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tachyon Publications (2012), Paperback, 176 pages
Tags:read 2013, kindle

The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson

Recently added byeuoka, kthork, KanyonKris, private library, jerenda, whiskye, skullduggery, taxonet, Tarklovishki

All Brandon Sanderson's books are amazing, my only problem with this one was that it was too short! ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
Shai is a Forger and she already knows that being bested is a rule of life. So when she finds herself in a dungeon she can't escape, Arbiter Gaotona's command to Forge the emperor's soul in a mere 98 days is a window of opportunity. But of course, if she fails in 98 days, execution awaits. Death threats and execution and deception surrounds her task, and Shai will have to use all her skills to get out of this alive.

I flew through this book in about an hour. It's such an easy read, but the meaning behind it is much more than it seems.

Sanderson is just a master of magic systems! I cannot emphasize that enough. A new world, a new system, new possibilities. I would love to explore this world a little more. I wanted to read more about power plays and the dynamics of the court. I wanted to see the past works of other Forgers and know more about Shai's past.
This book had the potential to extend much beyond 70 pages because of the potential of this world. But I'm glad it was a novella. It made the urgency more powerful.

The characters were not really fleshed out, but that is to be expected in a novella. For 70 pages, the amount of understanding we were able to glean into these characters's lives is fairly astounding. Sanderson writes the essence of characters very well.

But in the end, the reason I'm giving it four stars instead of 3.5 is that it takes the concept of creation and forgery and makes you wonder what is the true meaning of "masterpiece". When a copy is better than the original, which is the masterpiece? It is for this type of thought exploration that I love reading.

Four stars for being so beautifully written even in 70 pages, tugging a few heartstrings, but still managing to invoke deeper questions.
Highly recommended for anyone who loves a bit of magic and a new world. If you like anything else by Sanderson, you'll definitely like this one too. Also would probably recommend for someone who likes a bit of art. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
Sanderson was recommended to me as a genre author worth reading. I'm not sorry I followed up on that recommendation.

The Emperor's Soul presents an intriguing story of a forger who is able to create reproductions through magical carving of seals, inscribed with the history and detail of the object and its maker. In fact, she is so good at her art she is employed by the Emperor's most trusted advisers to create a seal which will return the Emperor to himself after a botched assassination.

Rich with character studies, environmental detail and intrigue, this is an engaging bit of escapism. ( )
  fiverivers | Sep 10, 2014 |
It wasn’t what I’ve come to expect from Brandon Sanderson – namely, it was short. It’s a 175 page novella that takes under two hours to read. And it’s wonderful.

The premises of the story is that the emperor suffered a blow to the head and heavy brain damage. He’s alive and perfectly healthy, except basically in a coma.

Enter Shai. She’s an amazingly gifted thief and Forger who’s been caught and condemned to die. But instead, she’s offered an opportunity. She can save herself by crafting a new soul for the emperor.

This is what’s so great about the story. To craft his soul, Shai must well and truly understand him, probably even better than he understood himself. She must also deal with those who question the value of her art – is she truly creating? Or is she merely copying?

All in all, it’s an amazing story, especially for one so short. In just 175 pages, Sanderson is able to create a world complete with an original magic system (of course!) and a cast (albeit limited) of vivid characters. Shai’s got to be one of my favorite Sanderson characters. There’s an emotional depth to her that I don’t always feel with the others.

If you’re going to pick up one book by Brandon Sanderson, this should be it. ( )
1 vote pwaites | Jul 11, 2014 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nanitchkov, AlexanderCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaotona ran his fingers across the thick canvas, inspecting one of the greatest works of art he had ever seen. Unfortunately, it was a lie.

When Shai is caught replacing the Moon Scepter with her nearly flawless forgery, she must bargain for her life and create--by Forgery--a new soul for the emperor in less than one hundred days.

51 wanted2 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,985,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible