Happy by Marla Braziel
521,436,638 (3)None

This was an interesting take on what someone needs to be happy. The writing was very good and the emotions being express were belivable and easilty empathized with. I am just not a fan of humanizing the emotions of animals that was my only dislike of the book. ( )
  CKHillman | Jun 12, 2012 |
Happy is the tale of a kitten who is born in a shelter. Unfortunately, it is born with a lame leg and cannot play with its litter mates. However, as it watches the other cats and kittens interact with the people who take care of it, it struggles to do the same and is happy. Then, as the other cats, kittens and even its mother disappear, it is sure this is a happy event and waits excitedly for its own chance to disappear.

Happy is a very short, sad story. I enjoyed it and shed a tear or two. I did find the story a bit melodramatic for my taste, sort of a Dickensian Tiny Tim tale for pet owners but it points out the real problem of all those animals who are waiting to disappear everyday in shelters because no one wants them. And I realize that, sometimes, melodrama is needed to make people wake up and pay attention. Witness all the sad commercials at Christmas time featuring Sarah MacLaughlin and some horribly abused animals. So, hats off to Ms. Braziel for a story with an important message. If it encourages even one person to donate to a no-kill shelter or, even better, rescue an animal that previously no one wanted because it's crippled or too old, not pure bred, or just not cute enough, it will have achieved something wonderful. ( )
  lostinalibrary | May 26, 2012 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Marla Braziel's book Happy was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Marla Braziel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,572,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible