The Messiah Matrix by Kenneth John Atchity

The Messiah Matrix

by Kenneth John Atchity

History is a funny thing; it is basically a tale passed down from one generation to the next. This means it is anyone’s guess as to how much of the story is fact, and how much of the story is just an embellishment to make it sound more interesting. This book is about this very thing. Could Augustus Caesar really be in fact the one and only Jesus? In this, both Father Ryan and Emily Scelba, Ph.D., an expert in ancient iconography, set out to prove this unique theory. The question is, can they control their undeniable passion and stay alive until they fulfill their destines? You will just have to read this book to find out.

My thoughts on this book are mixed. As a general rule, I tend to be apprehensive about the facts behind history. Historical fiction makes it even harder to discern the true facts of the story. Who really was Jesus? God only knows. The real question is, does it matter who the man was? Or is it more important to focus on the message he represents? Once again, the underlying story in this book is good. It is a well-thought-out combination of romance and suspense, which makes the unusual concept of Jesus and Augustus being the same person a little easier to swallow. Would I recommend this book? If you are a hardcore Bible-thumping Jesus freak then I would stay away from this book at all cost. If on the other hand you like history, romance, suspense, and are open-minded enough to take this book at its face value—that this is a work of fiction based on some historical information where Jesus and Augustus have a lot in common—then I would recommend you take a look.
  sallyawolf | May 7, 2015 |
As a child reading the Bible, I remember wondering who Tammuz was and why women were weeping over him--and why this was an "abomination." Even limited research back in the '60's revealed a story too similar to the story of Jesus of Nazareth to be comfortable: best to damn it so as not to interfere with "true belief," right? This book never mentions Tammuz, but it does a good job of presenting many of the conflicts between "standard" Christianity/Catholicism and historical evidence. It presents a question that has haunted humanity: how single-mindedly do we cling to our beliefs? How open are we to the truth? What's the difference between basic truths and the traditions that grow up around them?

In this book, the answers are scary: some people are so invested in their beliefs that they rationalize murder. Our heroes, an archeologist and a Jesuit, are beset at every turn in their quest to find the truth by those who want it kept hidden (as well as some with more convoluted intentions). This makes for some thrilling moments as they chase down clues. We get a romance to boot, although it is handled a bit clumsily in several places. Still, it's well written and the historical perspective is intriguing. I did get a bit tired of hearing about "one of [a murdered character]'s stories as prelude to every scene in the far past because I thought it interfered with the flow, but that's a small niggle. Certainly one of the most chilling things about the book is the recounting of Caesar's manipulation of myth to further his own ends.

Another niggle: the author got carried away in the cave--why does every writer have to try to top Indiana Jones? Yeah, yeah--it'll look good on CGI enhanced film. But anytime I'm reading along, having a good time, and suddenly find myself rolling my eyes, I put a little check in the debit column.

I've seen others were inspired by the final part of the work; I could have done without it. Despite my agreement with many of the sentiments, it seemed odd to end a thriller with a sermon (delivered by a precocious youngster who seemed hollow because we never got a chance to know him). There was plenty throughout the book to deliver the ideas without shoving them down our throats at the end.

Still, I would heartily recommend this book, despite the fact that it will make some people very uncomfortable. Or perhaps that's a recommendation in itself. It is so much more than a quest for "the truth." Our lives have become so intertwined that we really must learn to embrace principles that help us live peacefully together. Holding on to myths, however dear they seem, do not benefit us when we allow them to be used to ostracize, humiliate, or harm others. I hope we'll be seeing more from this author. I would have liked to give 4.5 stars... ( )
  Carrie.Kilgore | Nov 29, 2013 |
I enjoy a good religious thriller. I even enjoy suspending reality to delve into some far out story line, but this one was too much for me. The writing was adequate. I had a hard time believing that the heroine and the priest fell for each other so quickly. My real problem was the final resolution of the mystery. If Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior, you won't like this story. I won't spoil the it for those who want to read it, but a true Christian will not enjoy it. I was tempted to put it down several times, but kept reading in the hope of an ending that didn't come. It is truly fiction!! ( )
  nettie195 | Sep 17, 2013 |
I was so thrilled with this book that I read it in only 12 hours without stopping!

Do you think you know the foundation upon which the church was built? Thing again! Atchity brings new light to age old traditions that could shake the very foundation on which Christianity was built!

Or will it? Just how strong is your faith and your belief?

Atchity writes a page turner in such vivid detail that you, too, won't want to put it down. You will be mesmerized through each and every page. And on the edge of your seat as the intrigue and excitement builds.

I highly recommend this book to readers who enjoy the writings of author Dan Brown. The style and technique are quite similar. And the detail and research performed are extraordinary!

I give The Messiah Matrix Five Stars and a big Thumbs Up!

****DISCLOSURE: This book was a free download on Amazon.com and I was not required to provide a review. ( )
  texicanwife | Sep 5, 2013 |
As the book commences on a wholly vicious murder of a monsignor, the reader is thrown into the inner litany of Father Ryan McKeown's confusion and profound revelation.

" 'The monsignor said,' he gasped, 'Find Father Ryan... memory in the ashes of Jasius...in the Gesu.' Then the man's eyes closed as he breathed his last and made his way to the eternal gates that Ryan's absolution may or may not have opened for him."

Enter Emily Scelba, an archaeologist who joins Father Ryan in his quest for answers. From the death of Monsignor Isaac to the strangely evolving discoveries within the gaping questions about religion and faith, there is a certain aura of determination in the danger laden journey of the main characters.

"He made his way through the labyrinth of shaded arcades and near-hidden passageways, so intent on his destination that nothing else fazed him."

Atchity has woven a brilliant story meshing the divergent lives of various characters within the fabric of this riveting novel. His careful approach in delineating the complex and, oftentimes, turbulent aspects of human nature are indicative of his immense writing skills.

Read the entire review here:
Bookend Chronicles ( )
  gigifrost | Jun 27, 2013 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,927,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible