Greenshift by Heidi Ruby Miller

Greenshift

by Heidi Ruby Miller

Other authors: Dana Marton (Foreword)

4.5/5
Greenshift is a novella which I've enjoyed just as much as Heidi's full novel Ambasadora.

We know David and Mari from Ambasadora, and I've never particularly liked Mari or understood what David saw in her... However, her character is very charming, youthful and brave in her own story.

Mari hails from a poor mining planet as an 18-year-old scientist, some sort of environmentalist who creates greenshift - arranges for sustainable food sources, gardens on the ships in space. She is a perky, naive blonde who talks too much and who falls head over heels for the captain of her ship, ex-military, tall Armadan, David.

The couple begins their slow courtship, but Mari attracts the attention of a slaver who trades in girls with some sort of genetic abnormalities to one badass, sadistic buyer, and it will take literally all the resources and knowledge David and Mari have got to stop him.

What I love is how resourceful our heroine becomes in all sorts of tricky situations! By the end of novella I felt nothing short of admiration for her. Don't expect to find a damsel in distress, but a brave young girl whose appearance is very deceiving.

Plenty of action, a healthy dose of humour and genuine sparks of attraction. Recommended.

kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Science fiction romantic suspense, and you could call it a short novel or a really long novella. Up front, let me say the world-building and characterization both blew me away. Everything was beautifully thought out, including the space-water dock's security system, the politics among the security guards, and the interworkings of an onboard hydroponics unit with the ship's systems. More layers here than J.K. Rowling's finest, and I loved it.

There's a bit more romance here than I normally read, but none of it's out of place. I kept waiting for the tension to ratchet up to thriller-genre levels, which would have been too intense for the story, but thankfully the author avoided that mistake. And while the story stands alone (no need to buy the sequel to learn What Happens Next), it's open-ended, leaving room for more stories.

I hope more will be coming soon. Some series you just have to follow. For me, this is one. We'll call it 4.5 stars. ( )
  GunnarGrey | Nov 18, 2015 |
"I love sci-fi romance and am always on the lookout for a new author. This was a great introduction to a new world with characters that were memorable and believable."
-Cyberclipher, Amazon reviewer

"I knew from page two of Greenshift that I had a writer-crush on Heidi Ruby Miller. I mean, holy crap, this girl can write! This is how you write Science-Fiction."
-Cary Caffrey, best selling author of THE GIRLS FROM ALCYONE

"Miller's characters blaze with life and lust and depth, and her world is a dichotomy of the glamorously sensual and the brutally dangerous."
-Mary SanGiovanni, Bram Stoker nominated author of THE HOLLOWER trilogy

"...I loved the world building in this, the attention to detail and the portrayal of the characters. Heidi has a talent for making them so real. The writing is flawless and descriptive, and all the premises and reactions believable and consistent. The bad guys completely gave me the creeps..."
-Pippa Jay, author of KEIR

"The action and romance are seamlessly woven together, transporting us and leaving us petulant for more when the story is over."
-from the foreword by Dana Marton, best selling author of THE THIRD SCROLL

"GREENSHIFT gives readers a delightfully malicious villain and a thrilling climax that had me on the edge of my seat and left me gasping for breath when all was said and done. Fans of
Sci-Fi Romance are sure to enjoy this romance and action-packed novel."
-S.A. Sullivan, author of THE HAUNTED HOUSEWIVES OF ALLISTER, ALABAMA

"No spoilers here, but if you love planet hopping, space crafts, incredibly thought out societal pecking orders, stuff called scent bots and voyeurs, and characters you simply cannot resist rooting for...read this."
-T. K. Toppin, author of THE LANCASTER RULE series ( )
  heidirubymiller | Feb 5, 2014 |

Heidi Ruby Millerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marton, DanaForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Dog Star Books

An edition of this book was published by Dog Star Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,144,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible