The Joke's On Me by Laurie Boris

The Joke's On Me

by Laurie Boris

421,664,912 (4)None

sroywork | Oct 5, 2011 |
One of the things I love about books is their endless power to surprise you. When I was offered a copy of Laurie Boris’s The Joke’s On Me, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect — but I accepted based on the first chapter. It sounded funny. Punchy. And it didn’t let me down.

When Frankie Goldberg pulls back into Woodstock, N.Y., with just her few possessions lodged in a bright red convertible, she’s immediately greeted by her sister, Jude, leading a holistic retreat at the family bed and breakfast. Nothing totally unusual — except for the fact that everyone is nude. After recovering from the shock of that encounter, Frankie begins to take inventory of all the changes that have taken place since she moved to Los Angeles — most notably that her mother, once a formidable woman, has been moved to a nursing home.

Frankie, a “menopause baby,” is much younger than Jude — and was never considered the responsible sister, even as Jude cycled through husbands and raised her son, Ethan. After Frankie left home to pursue a life as a comedian and actress, Jude picked up the slack — and she hasn’t let her little sister forget it. Brought together again in their mutual desire to help their mother, Frankie has to finally put down roots — or run away again. But the presence of one Joey Mazzarella, former childhood crush, might make the choosing a little more difficult . . .

Laurie Boris’ The Joke’s On Me is a funny, sweet and realistic story showcasing the love of one family — and the idea that it’s never too late to start over. What really sold me on the novel was Jude and Frankie’s relationship, which felt honest and raw. Though never dramatic, Boris offers readers tender conversations between the women that defy the age gap between them. At the heart of it all, there’s love.

In her author biography, Boris describes herself as a “closet stand-up comedian” — and I think that humor really shines in The Joke’s On Me. Her sarcasm, rarely mean-spirited, is evident in Frankie’s character, and I immediately felt close to her as a narrator. She’s not without her faults, that’s for sure, but she owns up to them; she’s not without her quirks, either, but they make her lovable. Frankie felt like a friend.

And the love story? Oh, what a sucker I am for first love — and the sweet progression of Joey and Frankie’s relationship melted the little cockles of my heart. I loved that Joey is a baseball coach and Frankie is a lady that grew up appreciating the sport; like her, baseball is the one game I actually enjoy and understand. The frequent ballpark settings were ones I could appreciate!

Quirky, fun and very readable, Boris has crafted a novel with pithy dialogue, dueling sisters and plenty of heart. I read it quickly and enjoyed meeting Boris at the Book Blogger Convention in 2011, where she sat down to tell me about this book and I immediately squealed, “Laurie Boris! Oh, I have your book!” She looked genuinely surprised and was very kind, and I was happy to tell her I’d already enjoyed her debut novel. And if you’re looking for an amusing read, I think you will, too. ( )
1 vote writemeg | Jun 28, 2011 |
For Madeleine
The cherry-red convertible and I bounced down the excuse for a road leading to my mother's bed and breakfast.
As Liza's professor scrawled diagrams of molecules across his whiteboard in an attempt to explain osmosis and the sodium/potassium pump, something began to ring.

Today, everyone is online: from your grandmother to your five-year-old nephew. The most effective way to keep in touch, and to market a business on a small budget, is via the Internet.
But the Internet can be intimidating to many, especially folks who didn’t grow up with a computer attached to them.
In the Tutorials and Tools for Prospering in a Digital World Series, Indies Unlimited aims to take the scariness out of being online for newbies, and hopes to help those with more experience expand their Web footprint, whether it’s for personal use or product marketing.
Written in easy to understand language, Volume II of this series offers over ninety (90) tutorials, tips, and introductions to basics, such as capturing a URL, to how to make an animated GIF. For those who are more comfortable with their online presence, materials range from how to use Pinterest for marketing, to how to build a static website in WordPress, and many others. And, there is an entire section dedicated to authors which includes articles on book formatting, book promotion, and more.
Don’t be left behind in the dust of technology. The experts at Indies Unlimited are here to help. Using the “Look Inside” feature for this book will allow you to peruse the vast table of contents. Don’t see what you’re looking for there? Try Volume I, located at: http://www.amazon.com/Indies-Unlimite...
Volume I Description: Whether you are an author wanting to expand your book’s market or an entrepreneur selling candy-coated knitting baskets, you will benefit from an enhanced social media presence.

In Tutorials and Tools for Prospering in a Digital World Volume I you’ll find 62 step-by-step tutorials and tips/tools for everything from establishing a presence on multiple social media platforms to tools for optimizing your web presence to bonus tips tailored specifically for authors.

The award-winning and best-selling multi-national staff of Indies Unlimited brings you the ultimate guide for slapping social media into submission.

Knowledge is power. Fish is brain food. If you don’t have fish, you should at least have the Indies Unlimited Tutorials and Tools for Prospering in a Digital World Volume I. It smells way better than fish, and doesn’t require refrigeration. How can you go wrong?

Laurie Boris is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,742,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible