Heretic Queen: Queen Elizabeth I and the…

Heretic Queen: Queen Elizabeth I and the Wars of Religion

by Susan Ronald

This was an okay book, but not as engaging as other writers writing on the time period. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Author's Note
Religion was high politics in the Elizabethan era. From the time of the Lollards in the fifteenth century, religious tensions steadily rose in England and elsewhere, resulting in the Reformation—that smooth, seamless expression that most of us feel we understand. What is clear to me is that the Reformation was the biggest social, political, religious, and even economic change to hit European civilization, ever.

Acclaimed biographer Susan Ronald delivers a stunning account of Elizabeth I that focuses on her role in the Wars on Religion—the battle between Protestantism and Catholicisim that tore apart Europe in the 16th Century

Elizabeth’s 1558 coronation procession was met with an extravagant outpouring of love. Only twenty-five years old, the young queen saw herself as their Protestant savior, aiming to provide the nation with new hope, prosperity, and independence from the foreign influence that had plagued her sister Mary’s reign. Given the scars of the Reformation, Elizabeth would need all of the powers of diplomacy and tact she could summon.

Extravagant, witty, and hot-tempered, Elizabeth was the ultimate tyrant. Yet at the outset, in religious matters, she was unfathomably tolerant for her day. “There is only one Christ, Jesus, one faith,” Elizabeth once proclaimed. “All else is a dispute over trifles.” Heretic Queen is the highly personal, untold story of how Queen Elizabeth I secured the future of England as a world power. Susan Ronald paints the queen as a complex character whose apparent indecision was really a political tool that she wielded with great aplomb.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:28 -0400)

A chronicle of Elizabeth I's role in the wars of religion credits her with securing England's future as a world power, covering topics ranging from the queen's use of ambivalence as a political tool to her tolerance in religious matters and the challenges of the Reformation.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,546,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible