Joining the United States Coast Guard: A…

Joining the United States Coast Guard: A Handbook (Joining the Military)

by Snow Wildsmith

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a former active duty solider, and current reservist, I enjoyed viewing this book from two different sides. I recall the time that I had many of the same exact questions that were mentioned throughout the book, and now as a combat vet, I see how some of these question turn out to be not very important at all. I'd like to see more insight from people who have gone through this process, and possible a change in the format of the book. It's a lot of information, and at the time you need it, it's best to err on a clear format. ( )
  kristincedar | Feb 13, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is great for anyone thinking of joining the Coast Guard. Both of my sons are in the military and this book covers a lot of what we went through when they signed up. Gives a very realistic idea of what to expect from the recruiter to basic. ( )
  LA12Hernandez | Aug 25, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My Brother has been in the Coast Guard for over 10years,and this was an interesting insightful book. I was glad to read it and to get a better feeling about what exactly the Cast guard is and how it is run. This book put me at ease knowing that my brother is in a fine group of our military. And I think if more young people knew about the Cast Guard and what it is about we might have more of them join, will be giving this book to my local high school library. ( )
  melanieheim | Jul 26, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This handbook is part of a series, Joining the Military, with one volume for each of the branches of the U.S. armed services. Its aim is to provide young people contemplating military service with the information they need to make an informed choice as to whether the military life is right for them, and if so, which branch offers the opportunities best suited to a particular individual. It is not a recruiting tool, but an objective look at the process of joining and serving in the armed services. The first chapters are general, covering concerns that are applicable to any branch; they include how to talk to a recruiter, how to get your affairs in order before enlisting, what your family should know about military service, information on the armed services vocational aptitude testing process and so on. Then the book moves to Coast Guard specific requirements, practices, lifestyle and training. It includes a lot of practical advice on things you can do to prepare yourself for boot camp, physically and psychologically, and things you can learn ahead of time (like the phonetic alphabet) to make training go more smoothly. There is a glossary, charts of military ranks and insignia, the list of what recruits should and should not take with them to boot camp, and a "For More Information" section with books, websites and other resources for the prospective recruit. Above all, this book is well-written. This series ought to be in every high school guidance counselor's lending library. My only quibble is with the copy editing---I caught multiple instances of extra words or missing words (usually articles and prepositions) in the text. ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Jul 24, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is a must read for any young person considering joining the Armed Forces, with a particular emphasis on the Coast Guard. It lists many questions that one must consider before making such a commitment such as examining their motive for enlisting. It also addresses questions that a person's family should ask themselves. Hard facts are offered such as the fact that enlistment is an eight year commitment, not just four.

Many of the chapters are appropriate for any of the Armed Forces so even if a teen is thinking about joining the Army, he/she can find advice and food for thought here. The book starts to concentrate on the Coast Guard when it describes what the recruit will face at boot camp.

My only problem with this book is that information is often repeated. Of course, this would be good for today's teens who tend to skip to the part of a book they are most interested in and might miss an important point in an earlier section.

While concentrating on the steps leading up to becoming a Guardian, the book also looks at the long view and talks about the benefits that are earned after completing service such as health care and education.

I think this and the rest of the series, Joining the Military, should be in every high school library. The other books of the series cover the Army, the Air Force, the Marine Corps, and the Navy. They are objective and do not gloss over any of the difficulties of enlisting and serving. ( )
  mamzel | Jul 19, 2012 |

This book is for the teenager or young adult who is interested in enlisting in the United States Coast Guard. It will walk him or her through the enlistment and recruit training process: making the decision to join the military, talking to recruiters, getting qualified, preparing for and learning what to expect at basic recruit training.

The goal of the McFarland Joining the Military book series is to help young people who might be curious about serving in the military decide whether military service is right for them, which branch is the best fit, and whether they are qualified for and prepared for military service. Features include lists of books, web links, and videos; a glossary; and an index.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:22 -0400)

"This book is for the teenager or young adult who is interested in enlisting in the United States Coast Guard. It will walk him or her through the enlistment and recruit training process: making the decision to join, talking to recruiters, getting qualified, preparing for basic training, and learning what to expect at basic recruit training"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Snow Wildsmith's book Joining the United States Coast Guard was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,131,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible