Joining the United States Army: A Handbook…

Joining the United States Army: A Handbook (Joining the Military)

by Snow Wildsmith

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I hate to give a review after only skimming the book, but once I found out the author had not been a member of the Army or any branch of the military I put it down. I didn't feel like people should be making such important life decisions with help from someone who doesn't know first hand what the life would really be like.
  kfschmid | Apr 6, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I would recommend this series for a YA non-fiction collection. Easy to understand, well organized, takes the potential enlistee from start (signing up) to finish (basic training), and even considerations for parents. Probably my favorite part is the explanation of the military alphabet, I always forget those. ( )
  erickandow | Aug 28, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is indeed a handbook and a very useful one for any young adult considering enlisting in the Army. The first chapter is excellent, mandatory, and revealing, and covers a lot of the questions one should ask before enlistng, (eg., "I am a Conciencious Objector". Then, it probably isn't a good idea to join.).

Other checklist items are omitted: "I don't mind suffering and dying for causes I may not support," or, "I am willing to inflict pain on other individuals if I am ordered to do so". It breezily mentions the possibility of going to war. It would have been interesting to see what kind of fatality rates or other probability data is out there. A teenager should really try to understand these risks.

This book covers all of the basics: the visit to the MEPs, taking the ASVAB, joining the DEP, excercising in preparation of joining the FTC. The process actually doesn't seem all that complicated and hey, if you're not comfortable with acronyms, then why are you joining the Army? There are also references to preparing (physically, mentally, and yes, I think, intellectually) for entering the Army.

This book is written by a teen librarian whose only apparent experience is that she grew up in a military family. She has written a fine overview. ( )
  Sandydog1 | Aug 25, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a very informative handbook that allows one who is enlisting in the army to get a good sense of what to expect. It goes over everything from insurance coverage to the Army Song. I would highly recommend anyone thinking of joining the army to read this handbook prior to meeting with a recruiter. ( )
  fillykat | Aug 22, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This volume is intended as a handbook for young men and women who are considering becoming a part of the United States Army. It is divided into sections for the individual, their family and their spouse. I doubt if the author intended it to be read from cover to cover. The author states that this feature will result in some redundancy and it, of course, does.

However, I did read the entire book both because I feel that responsibility in reviewing a volume and because of my own interest in what the book had to say. My service in the US Army was in the middle to late 1960’s. A period that my grandchildren seem to think involved either the first or second world war. The Army is a very different place since I cleared post for the last time.

But many things remain the same. The Army exists, as they were fond of reminding us, to kill people and break things. The average person passing through their period of service will not encounter this experience. Most military service is a steady job with very well defined job descriptions, consequences, and rewards. I came away from the Army with skills and insight that has served me well throughout my life. I was a medic during my active duty and with my benefits and experience have had a fulfilling, rewarding career as a Registered Nurse.

As the book points out that experience and those rewards are there for anyone who enters service today. Being involved with the VA system, I often meet young men and women who have found this to be true in today’s Army.
However, I have also spoken with people who had horrible experiences during their attempt to become part of the military. It is my considered opinion that this volume would have helped prevent many of those bad outcomes.

The author very clearly outlines just what the Army is all about and just what they will and will not do for an individual who enters its fold. The information given matches up with both my memory and with the stories I hear from young troops. This is a very useful book. I have no hesitation in recommending it wholeheartedly.

A free copy of this book was provided for the purpose of review. ( )
  hippypaul | Aug 15, 2012 |

This book is for the teenager or young adult who is interested in enlisting in the United States Army. It will walk him or her through the enlistment and recruit training process: making the decision to join the military, talking to recruiters, getting qualified, preparing for and learning what to expect at basic recruit training.

The goal of the McFarland Joining the Military book series is to help young people who might be curious about serving in the military decide whether military service is right for them, which branch is the best fit, and whether they are qualified for and prepared for military service. Features include lists of books, web links, and videos; a glossary; and an index.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:07 -0400)

"This book is for the young adult who is interested in enlisting in the United States Army. It will walk him or her through the enlistment and recruit training process: making the decision to join the military, talking to recruiters, getting qualified, preparing for and learning what to expect at basic recruit training"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Snow Wildsmith's book Joining the United States Army was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,169,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible