Character Actors in Horror and Science…

Character Actors in Horror and Science Fiction Films, 1930-1960 (edition 2012)

by Laurence Raw

Member:johnnyapollo
Title:Character Actors in Horror and Science Fiction Films, 1930-1960
Authors:Laurence Raw
Info:McFarland (2012), Paperback, 232 pages

Character Actors in Horror and Science Fiction Films, 1930-1960 by Laurence Raw

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A near perfect guide for horror film lovers for genre films from 1930 through 1960. It doesn't go into depth on ALL of them... otherwise this would be a multi-volume collection, but you will learn a lot about the main ones. I am very happy to have received this book in the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program. ( )
  antmusic | Feb 10, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It's taken some time to give this great book a good read. Character Actors in Horror and Science Fiction Films, 1930-1960 aggregates a who's who of the various actors, some easily recognizable and others not, that inhabited the various genre films of that era. My initial approach was to do a quick scan at the photos and names to see who is in the book - there are many that I recognized, mostly from the photos - from various films. Next I started at the beginning - the book lists the actors alphabetically, and read each listing - this took a while. As you would imagine, reading a reference book can be less than interesting - I'm glad the author decided to provide only a synopsis of each actor.

Although I wouldn't consider this the ultimate "go to" book for any particular actor, it does provide one place to look to establish an actor's name with his appearance (photo + name + movie) so you can associate the three - very convenient, especially after watching a movie and during the rolling of the credits. I did notice a few minor editorial issues but they weren't too detracting. The author also provides a bit of opinion on many of the actors which may deter the reader if you don't like his style - personally it didn't bother me (who doesn't put his own spin on this type of book?).

In all, if you are a geek about this genre of film, you will enjoy this book and appreciate is as a reference. ( )
  johnnyapollo | Jan 4, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Character Actors in Horror and Science Fiction Films, 1930-1960, provides a brief look at the roles these actors played in genre movies during the period. Arranged alphabetically, you will definitely find a few people you know, such as John Carradine and Elsa Lanchester, but the majority of entries are unfamiliar names.

But that is what makes this book interesting. If you are like me and have seen many of these horror and science fiction films during your childhood and even today, now you can learn a little more about these actors who played a variety of roles to keep bread on the table. There is a picture for nearly every actor so that you can match up the face to the name, which is nice.

The publishing company, McFarland, does a nice job of providing these niche books for fans. If you enjoy movies from this era, you definitely want to get your hands on this one. ( )
  Ed_Gosney | Jan 2, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really liked this book. I've seen so many of these movies, and the faces are so familiar. It was sort of like watching the Academy Awards "In memoriam" when a face comes up and you give the sad groan and think, what a wonderful character actor that person was. I would never know most of the names, although there are ones who went on to huge stardom. But all of these people had the faces that made the movies terrific.

I liked the information about the person and their movies and I felt it was an interesting read that pulled me along. I would definitely recommend it. I just wish there would have been more movie photos and more years included! I know, that's a lot of work! Very fun book. ( )
  DanaJean | Dec 3, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Not a book I'm ever going to read from cover to cover, but an interesting and somewhat useful reference book for the film buff. I've picked it up several times to check out someone in a movie I was watching. I wish the biographies were more complete, however, rather than being strictly limited to the actors' roles in horror and science fiction films for the years in question. It's not so noticable for an actor with whom I'm unfamiliar. But for people like Peter Graves, Leslie Nielson and Claude Rains, for instance, the abbreviated biographies seem especially incomplete and wanting. ( )
  y2pk | Nov 10, 2012 |
To my parents, Margery and John Raw
In choosing to write about horror and science fiction films between 1930 and 1960, I realize that I am covering well-trodden ground.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Character Actors in Horror and Science Fiction Films, 1930-1960 by Laurence Raw was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,984,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible