Approaching the Hunger Games Trilogy: A…

Approaching the Hunger Games Trilogy: A Literary and Cultural Analysis

by Tom Henthorne

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a phenomenal academic look at nearly every aspect of The Hunger Games. The topics and discussion thereof helped unlock new layers of the story to me as well as reveal a great deal about Collins' writer's-craft. So many of the nuances of the book are dissected and analyzed in such a way as to be inviting rather than foreboding (as scholarly work often is) and has inspired me to re-read the series once my current to-read list is complete. ( )
  benuathanasia | Feb 11, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a very interesting book to read especially because I am a huge hunger games fan. It really helped when I wrote my jan term paper on the series. ( )
  cloudnrain | Jul 4, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is a good reference guide for anyone who wants to look at the Hunger Game trilogy in a research paper type of way. I highly enjoyed it as the author had many of the same ideas and points I thought about as I read the series. I think that any Hunger Games fan should read this guide and any teacher who is teaching the book in his/her English class. ( )
  DeeDee10 | Jun 3, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a big fan of the Hunger Games, I was so excited to get this as part of the LibraryThing Early Reviewers. It was definitely interesting to read the essays and to look it at things from different perspectives and angles. This was my first time reading a book like this, and I much prefer just reading books compared to reading books about books. Not sure that makes a lot of sense, but I think I'll just stick with plain old fiction from now on. :) ( )
  Annesanse | May 12, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a very interesting analysis on "The Hunger Games" phenomena. Although there are a few typos, I love the sections about reality shows and the biography on Suzanne Collins. Henthorne supports his ideas and suggestions with illustrative examples from the trilogy as well as from reality. The glossary in the back is helpful. I recommend this work to any true Hunger Games fan.

LT Early Reviewers
[book:Approaching the Hunger Games Trilogy: A Literary and Cultural Analysis|15863206]
[author:Tom Henthorne|5056759] ( )
  LibStaff2 | Mar 23, 2013 |

"This book addresses Suzanne Collins's work from a number of literary and cultural perspectives in an effort to better understand both its significance and appeal. Assuming that readers are familiar with all three volumes of The Hunger Games, the book also avoids plot summary and character analysis, instead focusing on the significance of the story and its characters"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tom Henthorne's book Approaching the Hunger Games Trilogy was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,131,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible